Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Postgame vs Browns
Quote: @pattersaur said:
I’ve been a long time supporter of RS but this year’s roster admittedly has me wavering.

I have a lot of thoughts on the game but to reply directly to OP— I agree Tomlinson has been a huge bust and even more concerning, Harry Smith has been invisible.

Our 2021 draft class isn’t playing. Our 2022 fourth rounder Herndon isn’t doing anything. Mike Hughes is playing a ton for the Chiefs. Our 2020 first rounder Gladney is off the team. Our 2019 (?) first rounder Bradbury is struggling. And we’re 1-3. 

Like I said, I like Spielman. But who am I supposed to blame for the problems listed above?
some say we are supposed to blame Covid impact, injuries, young roster and coaching turn over (you decide the order).
From my point of view, all rest squarely on Rick  and Zimmer.

We have the best RB in the league and one of the best WR duos, not sure how there is any question about not having playmakers.  Our QB is too immobile and does not read pressure, which means the OL needs to be perfect on every play.  It seems pretty basic that if you were the OC you would design an offense that used a lot of rollouts, short drops and quick hitters.  I have no answer as to why we put Cousins in a deep drop every play.  Play calling lost this game.  

Quote: @mblack said:
@pattersaur said:
I’ve been a long time supporter of RS but this year’s roster admittedly has me wavering.

I have a lot of thoughts on the game but to reply directly to OP— I agree Tomlinson has been a huge bust and even more concerning, Harry Smith has been invisible.

Our 2021 draft class isn’t playing. Our 2022 fourth rounder Herndon isn’t doing anything. Mike Hughes is playing a ton for the Chiefs. Our 2020 first rounder Gladney is off the team. Our 2019 (?) first rounder Bradbury is struggling. And we’re 1-3. 

Like I said, I like Spielman. But who am I supposed to blame for the problems listed above?
some say we are supposed to blame Covid impact, injuries, young roster and coaching turn over (you decide the order).
From my point of view, all rest squarely on Rick  and Zimmer.
Oh hell to the no. COVID was supposedly part of it last year but they don't get to go to that twice.

What a difference a week makes. Last week people were falling all over themselves in praising KK. This week he’s a bum. The offensive line was finally gelling last week.  Now it’s a pice of crap. My thoughts watching the game, jumbled up and in no particular order:

the DL played well until they lost Pierce and just got gassed finally. They made 7 stops on first and goal before allowing their one TD. And they got good pressure on Mayfield.  DBs looked bad but we’re saved from getting burned repeatedly by the pressure Mayfield was feeling.  The OL looked like crap—on the few occasions they gave KC time to throw he was right on the money. Most intriguing to me was the pissing contest Stephanski and Zim got into. Twice Stephanski went for it on 4 down early in the game. And they weren’t gimmees—4th and 4, 4th and 5. A direct snub at Zimmer’s D.  And a slap at the guy who got him fired. So what does Zim do? Goes for it on 4th and 6. Two can play this game. So stupid when he was in field goal range. Just schoolyard egos on display from both. Anyway—is Darrisaw ever going to play? Wyatt? Barr? 

The OL cost us the game yesterday. The D isnt what many of had hoped (at least not yet) - but they played well enough for us to win vs Browns. 

You hold an NFL team to 14 pts? You're going to win 95% of the time

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
The OL cost us the game yesterday. The D isnt what many of had hoped (at least not yet) - but they played well enough for us to win vs Browns. 

You hold an NFL team to 14 pts? You're going to win 95% of the time
Yea and when the other team holds you to 7 points you win all the time Smile

Quote: @JR44 said:
We have the best RB in the league and one of the best WR duos, not sure how there is any question about not having playmakers.  Our QB is too immobile and does not read pressure, which means the OL needs to be perfect on every play.  It seems pretty basic that if you were the OC you would design an offense that used a lot of rollouts, short drops and quick hitters.  I have no answer as to why we put Cousins in a deep drop every play.  Play calling lost this game.  
The better teams in the league all have multiple weapons on offense. I love Cook, Thielen, and Jefferson (of course) but anything after those three are just roster fillers. Kansas City, Tampa, Arizona, Green Bay, and Dallas all have multiple weapons that legitimately cause problems. The Vikings don't have that kind of firepower or depth and it shows. Trying to fill those gaps with the Bisi Johnson's and Dede Westbrooks of the world has not paid dividends. Again, it's why the Irv Smith injury was big because he was supposed to be that rising threat and 3rd option in the passing game that would make teams pay for rolling coverage at Thielen and Jefferson 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JR44 said:
The better teams in the league all have multiple weapons on offense. I love Cook, Thielen, and Jefferson (of course) but anything after those three are just roster fillers. Kansas City, Tampa, Arizona, Green Bay, and Dallas all have multiple weapons that legitimately cause problems. The Vikings don't have that kind of firepower or depth and it shows. Trying to fill those gaps with the Bisi Johnson's and Dede Westbrooks of the world has not paid dividends. Again, it's why the Irv Smith injury was big because he was supposed to be that rising threat and 3rd option in the passing game that would make teams pay for rolling coverage at Thielen and Jefferson 
I wouldnt say it's an issue of not having weapons. Cook, Mattison, Jefferson, Thielen, and Osborn is a dang good core (losing Irv did stink). Every team you listed there have above average offensive lines with Tampa and Dallas arguably having the best.

Irv Smith was all about potential this year and the words like "supposed" to get more attention and was "expected" to take that next step.....let's not act like he was anything but an average TE so far in his short career.  If we are going to dig that deep for another excuse for a 1-3 start we are really scrapping the bottom ....IMHO Smile

Quote: @JR44 said:

I can't like this post enough.  Seriously, you know we struggle against the pressure, run a fricken slant route.  Not every play needs to be 7 step drop or a screen.  There is ground in the middle to be worked.