Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Postgame vs Browns
The NFL is a crazy game and as we have seen most teams are only separated by a couple big plays a game.  You either make them and win, or you don't and lose...and the Vikings just have not come up with enough plays to win these close games.  Just a few thoughts:

- We lack playmakers on offense.  All the better teams in the league have multiple weapons on offense and the Vikings are just lacking. Tyler Conklin and JK Osborne aren't keeping defensive coordinators up at night and I said it before the season started that the injury to Irv Smith was huge.  Combine that with the uneven results along the offensive line to this point and despite our overall ranking offensively, you can see the issues. 

- To me we played into the strength of the Browns defensively and that's their defensive line.  It seems like we never really even attempted to establish the running game today and their line got after Cousins without the threat of stopping the run. 

- I'm still trying to figure out how we are having such an issue stopping the run on defense with the additions of Pierce and Tomlinson in front of Kendricks.  I thought this would be the second coming of the Williams wall and its not even close.  We went into the Cleveland game 20th against the run and todays effort didn't help.  Dalvin Tomlinson has been a complete non factor thus far.  Major disappointment. 

- Its a results driven league and with the Vikings not getting the job done the clock continues to tick on Zimmer and possibly even Spielman. I don't know what Zimmer is doing on defense.  It seems like he was experimenting with a 3-4 front for a while the first couple weeks and he has almost completely abandoned the double A gap blitz that made him a known coaching commodity.  He needs to figure out his defense....and do it fast!

DT play and lack of contribution from this years draft class is disheartening. 

7 points on offense, that didn't help 

8-13 since playoff win. 

We have playmakers. It's a matter of consistent o-line play, and yeah, it would be nice to have a deep threat TE. It would also be nice to have a offensive coord. that was seasoned and had more of a game plan than an opening series. 

The 2 big free agent pickups to plug the middle are proving to be a waste of money. There was a reason Pierce was let go, and as you mentioned Tomlinson is MIA. We also threw big money at a stiff named Barr, and sorry, but even the Hitman is fading fast. Zimmer will go to the mat for this defense, but it is below average. We only gave up 14 today, but that will prove to be an aberration over the course of the season.

A run first offense with this o-line isn't going to outscore an opponent with our issues on defense.   

If Baker Mayfield could hit the broad side of a barn on longer passes this would have been 35-7 not 14-7.    This team is what it's record says it is.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:

- We lack playmakers on offense.  All the better teams in the league have multiple weapons on offense and the Vikings are just lacking. Tyler Conklin and JK Osborne aren't keeping defensive coordinators up at night and I said it before the season started that the injury to Irv Smith was huge.  
We should have drafted Hunter Henry (TE) instead of Laquon Treadpoorly (WR) some years ago.  
We should have drafted DK Metcalf instead of ISJ 2 years ago. 
(I argued strongly for both.... & both of your "issues" would now be resolved  Smile  )   
(I gagged at Bradbury and Laquon.  Wastes of opportunity. Loved Jefferson/Cleveland last year, ftr)

Thru the first 4 games of 2021, compared to 2020: 

In the first 4 games of 2020, K-Rud & ISJ had combined stat lines of 8 catches, 80 yards and 1 TD. 
In the first 4 games of 2021, T-Conk has a stat line of 27 catches, 144 yards and 1 TD. 
T-Conk is NOT the problem.  

In the first 4 games of 2020, Bisi-J had combined stat lines of 5 catches, 84 yards and 0 TD.  
In the frist 4 games of 2021, K-Oz has combined stat lines of 17 catches, 219 yards and 1 TD.  
K-Oz is NOT the problem.  

I will agree that T-Conk and K-Oz may not be keeping D-Cords "up at night"....but neither were K-Rud, ISJ, or Bisi-J. 
BUT....the Vikes have TRIPLED production at those two positions, thus far.  Losing ISJ is not the problem.  

BTW....wanna keep a D-Cord up at night?  

J-Jettas, A-T, D-Met, Hunter H,  D-Cook. 

We've missed too many times at the top of the draft.  

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@supafreak84 said:

- We lack playmakers on offense.  All the better teams in the league have multiple weapons on offense and the Vikings are just lacking. Tyler Conklin and JK Osborne aren't keeping defensive coordinators up at night and I said it before the season started that the injury to Irv Smith was huge.  
We should have drafted Hunter Henry (TE) instead of Laquon Treadpoorly (WR) some years ago.  
(I argued strongly for both.... & both of your "issues" would now be resolved  Smile  )   
(I gagged at Bradbury and Laquon.  Wastes of opportunity. Loved Jefferson/Cleveland last year, ftr)

In the first 4 games of 2020, K-Rud & ISJ had combined stat lines of 8 catches, 80 yards and 1 TD. 
In the first 4 games of 2021, T-Conk has a stat line of 27 catches, 144 yards and 1 TD. 

In the first 4 games of 2020, Bisi-J had combined stat lines of 5 catches, 84 yards and 0 TD.  
In the frist 4 games of 2021, K-Oz has combined stat lines of 17 catches, 219 yards and 1 TD.  
K-Oz is NOT the problem.  

I will agree that T-Conk and K-Oz may not be keeping D-Cords "up at night"....but neither were K-Rud, ISJ, or Bisi-J. 
BUT....the Vikes have TRIPLED production at those two positions, thus far.  Losing ISJ is not the problem.  

The bold is why I am super fed up with the current regime. 

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@supafreak84 said:

K-Oz is NOT the problem.  

Yeah we weren't good through the first four games last year either. ISJ was absolutely being counted on to be a huge part of the offense this season and not having him has been a huge loss. But yes I agree that there have been some draft misses that would have benefitted us today 

I’ve been a long time supporter of RS but this year’s roster admittedly has me wavering.

I have a lot of thoughts on the game but to reply directly to OP— I agree Tomlinson has been a huge bust and even more concerning, Harry Smith has been invisible.

Our 2021 draft class isn’t playing. Our 2022 fourth rounder Herndon isn’t doing anything. Mike Hughes is playing a ton for the Chiefs. Our 2020 first rounder Gladney is off the team. Our 2019 (?) first rounder Bradbury is struggling. And we’re 1-3. 

Like I said, I like Spielman. But who am I supposed to blame for the problems listed above?