Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick's seat hotter than Zim's ...
Or at least he should be.  

Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Gladney 

Four 1st round CBs from the DB Whisperer, none on our roster today.  Harrison Smith drafted by Rick under Frazier.  Good thing we keep paying Barr elite money to sit out or stay invisible in Zimmer's defensive scheme rather than fixing the O-line.

I have really defended Rick and our drafts, FA for the most part.  The problem is by Years 5-7+  they start to look ugly, and guess what - our record reflects it.

Kalil, Patterson, Floyd all busts.  I'd argue Bradbury should be on that list too.  

No Bueno Ricardo ....

Wha? No. Rhodes was an all pro, Waynes got a $40M contract, Hughes had a career-threatening neck injury, Gladney was arrested. None of this is performance based. 

Patterson was a 4-time, 1st team All Pro who holds three NFL records and 12 franchise records. Wasn't what we wanted him to be, but hardly a bust. You don't even mention the ACTUAL bust in Laquon Treadwell. Bradbury is not looking good right now. We'll have to see how that one turns out. 

And the draft is more than 1 round. Vikings haven't done particularly well in the 1st round lately. I'd say slightly below average on the whole? But their 2nd and 3rd rounds are well above average. Vikings typically finish in the top 6 to 8 among independent draft evaluators. 

But I'd agree with one thing: if this "dream team" finishes below .500, then everyone's on the hot seat. 

Here is a link to all his picks from 2012 - 2020
https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/genera...n-by-round
My thoughts summed up:
  • 1st round hasn't been bad, but man we got hit by injuries.  Hughes, Teddy, Sharrif, all had the course of their careers changed. The only real bust to me is Treadwell, that is a straight miss.  You could argue Kalil, but he had a lot of people fooled.  I agree with @MaroonBells about Patterson's performance, but it is hard to imagine picking a pure special teams guy in the 1st.  Especially in a trade up scenario. 
  • 2nd round has been very solid.  O'Neill, Cook, Kendricks are all very solid.  Jury is still out on Cleveland and ISJ.  Both look promising though.
  • 3rd round can be summed up in one word.  Oof.  Obviously, we have that one guy who turned out pretty good, Hunter, but the rest is very debatable.  Elflein, Crichton, Josh Robinson... Mattison has been alright, but did we need him there?  I really hope Dantzler turns it back around or he goes on the list. 
  • 4th round Oof 2.  Gerald Hodges and Jarius Wright probably get the highest marks out of this group.  Although Wonnum, Lnych, and Dye can hopefully keep improving.  Samia, Willie Beavers, T.J. Clemmings, enough said.
  • 5th round is highlighted by Diggs, and has hopefuls in Osborn, Hand, and Conklin.  This round gave us the likes of Daniel Carlson, Isidora, Yankey, Rodney Adams...
  • 6th Round has a few a lot of picks, with little outcome.  Its the 6th, this is to be expected, but why bother stock piling these picks then?  Watts and Udoh look like gems here.  Bucky Hodes, Moritz Boehringer, Tyrus Thompson, all not so much.  You could argue Exum had a career, same with David Morgan.  Blair Walsh was also decent until....
  • 7th Round, Oof Hard With a Vengeance.  25 picks here.  Kris Boyd and Bisi Johnson are highlights.  Hinton potentially if he ever plays.  Austin Cutting was taken here as well.  Odenigbo, Weatherly, Kearse, and Stephens were taken in this round, too.  We have got lucky with a few serviceable guys is about all I can. 
I don't have anything against Rick, but man if you take away the Diggs and Hunter picks, he really doesn't look all that great.  I base that on everyone should hit on the 1st and 2nd round. 

Quote: @El_Padre said:
My thoughts summed up:
  • 1st round hasn't been bad, but man we got hit by injuries.  Hughes, Teddy, Sharrif, all had the course of their careers changed. The only real bust to me is Treadwell, that is a straight miss.  You could argue Kalil, but he had a lot of people fooled.  I agree with @MaroonBells about Patterson's performance, but it is hard to imagine picking a pure special teams guy in the 1st.  Especially in a trade up scenario. 
  • 2nd round has been very solid.  O'Neill, Cook, Kendricks are all very solid.  Jury is still out on Cleveland and ISJ.  Both look promising though.
  • 3rd round can be summed up in one word.  Oof.  Obviously, we have that one guy who turned out pretty good, Hunter, but the rest is very debatable.  Elflein, Crichton, Josh Robinson... Mattison has been alright, but did we need him there?  I really hope Dantzler turns it back around or he goes on the list. 
  • 4th round Oof 2.  Gerald Hodges and Jarius Wright probably get the highest marks out of this group.  Although Wonnum, Lnych, and Dye can hopefully keep improving.  Samia, Willie Beavers, T.J. Clemmings, enough said.
  • 5th round is highlighted by Diggs, and has hopefuls in Osborn, Hand, and Conklin.  This round gave us the likes of Daniel Carlson, Isidora, Yankey, Rodney Adams...
  • 6th Round has a few a lot of picks, with little outcome.  Its the 6th, this is to be expected, but why bother stock piling these picks then?  Watts and Udoh look like gems here.  Bucky Hodes, Moritz Boehringer, Tyrus Thompson, all not so much.  You could argue Exum had a career, same with David Morgan.  Blair Walsh was also decent until....
  • 7th Round, Oof Hard With a Vengeance.  25 picks here.  Kris Boyd and Bisi Johnson are highlights.  Hinton potentially if he ever plays.  Austin Cutting was taken here as well.  Odenigbo, Weatherly, Kearse, and Stephens were taken in this round, too.  We have got lucky with a few serviceable guys is about all I can. 
I don't have anything against Rick, but man if you take away the Diggs and Hunter picks, he really doesn't look all that great.  I base that on everyone should hit on the 1st and 2nd round. 
Now look up every other team and compare them. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@El_Padre said:
My thoughts summed up:

Very solid point.  It would be really interesting to see, or define, what the metric is for successful drafting. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@El_Padre said:
My thoughts summed up:
Don't you have to be better than every other team to win?

The thing that is overlooked when people grade Spielman...  his draft record is very good in terms of finding talent and maximizing value by moving up and down to target players. I'll also say that his drafting has been much better since Zimmer was hired than it was under Frazier and Childress...  I don't think that is a coincidence since Zimmer has an eye for talent and he and Rick retooled their scouting department when he became HC. Howevaaaaaa...

His job isn't just the draft.  It's also constructing a roster through FA, UDFAs, etc.  If you look at the Vikings weak points since Zimmer was hired, have those been addressed?  We still don't have what I would call a franchise QB.  Teddy might have been the closest thing before his leg fell apart...  Cousins didn't elevate a contender in 2018 or 2019.  In fact, we regressed since 2017 with him as a QB...  what about the OL?  It's been a perennial problem...  

If you're grading Rick on just his draft abilities, he's probably a top 5 GM in the NFL.  If you look at his entire body of work constructing a roster and having the most input on the final 53...  He drops a fair bit IMO.

Rick Speilman is the greatest GM ever and don't you forget it! Should be on our way to a birth in the NFC championship around 2026 if we remain on schedule. Stay the course. Thousand points of light...stay the course.. Blah blah

Pro Bowl is cute but I want a Super Bowl damn it!