Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bud Grant Analysis
The good

worthy hall of famer… won big in Canada, turned Vikings into winners… won division 10 of 11 years

The bad

Not even competitive in Super Bowl losses, yet Vikings beat Chiefs and Steelers next time they played in regular season. Something went wrong with Super Bowl preparation.

Stubborn about changes that came about. Had weird thought that straight ahead kickers better than soccer style. Also didn’t believe in strength and conditioning coaches.

Hard to disagree...

I do think we could point a finger @ SB preparation, but I also think the Vikings were beaten by better teams in the Chiefs, Dolphins and were over the hill by the time they played The Snake and The Raiduh's in 77.

Shell/Upshaw and that OL just had their way with the PPE's by that time. I dont recall the Vikings offense shining in any of those SB losses either. 

Even though the Chiefs was considered a big upset back in the day, I think part of that was just the AFC being an upstart league vs NFC. Chiefs were bigger, stronger and more athletic. 

The one SB they could've and should've won is vs Steelers. 

Vikings and Bills are both 0/4 in SB's. My $$ is on the Bills to break that dubious tie this year. 

Gulp, the only good news with losing recent NFCCG's means no more super bowl losses...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Hard to disagree...

The one SB they could've and should've won is vs Steelers. 
Agree, that was a very winnable game, we offense just flat out choked and didn't score all day, Blair's blocked punt totally flipped all the momentum and we were down by 3 with 11 minutes to go and our defense then gives up a long TD drive and then Fran gets picked off and game over.  Just flat out choked.  

Since Bud Grant 6 coaches and 45 years later we have zero Superbowl appearances. Two teams in the NFC that were not even in the NFL 45 years ago have been there. In the NFC every team except the LIons have been there since Grant.

If you were named Harry Peter, you’d go by Bud too!  Wink B)  

Bud won 4 Grey Cups up in Winnipeg, not sure why the SB was his Achilles heel.  He thought soccer style kickers were less accurate but they eventually became the norm because they could get more distance.  He was stubborn in many ways and it got old in the late 70's. 

But of course the team stopped drafting well after Finks left in 74 and by the time they lost to Oakland in the last SB appearance the roster was kind of on fumes.  Finks went on to build the roster that became the 80's Bears and then the late 80's Saints before heavy smoking finally got him.

Let’s not forget Bud was also a professional CFL, NFL, & NBA player prior to coaching…! 

Quote: @Kentis said:
Let’s not forget Bud was also a professional CFL, NFL, & NBA player prior to coaching…! 
He needs a statue in front of The Bank