Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mond "very sharp" at OTAs
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/05...harp-otas/

The praise for Minnesota Vikings second-year quarterback Kellen Mond continued to come in on Tuesday with offensive coordinator Wes Phillips being the recent coach talking up his improvements.
“Kellen is very sharp. He has really picked up the offense very well,” Phillips told media members. “I don’t know if you guys have seen him out here every day working with Jerrod Johnson—extra drill work, really working on his fundamentals.
“He’s done a really nice job getting up to speed with our offense, our terminology. He’s calling the plays really well in the huddle, and his eyes are in the right place.”
This news should excite Vikings fans, especially after the arrow appeared to be pointing down on Mond after his rookie season.
Nearly a week ago, coach Kevin O’Connell also talked about how impressed he was with the 22-year-old quarterback in the spring practices. If anything, it shows why it’s never a good idea to jump the gun on a player’s development.
There might still be a long-term future for Mond in the Vikings organization, depending on how his development tracks. It was always going to be an uphill battle for him to avoid being the odd man out for a regime that didn’t draft him.
And yet, the third-round pick out of Texas A&M is turning the right heads and giving renewed hope that the Vikings have a legitimate quarterback prospect on their roster.

I'm fine with these kinds of stories.....its all well and good and its better than hearing he's struggling....but this is fluff piece season. I've just read SO many similar types of stuff from other NFL cities. I'm rooting for Mond, I want Mond to succeed and at least take the #2 job at some point. But I'll really have to see it first to start believing anything. I do think he's got a very fresh start with the new regime. I do think he'll be more relaxed in Year 2. I like the way he handles himself in interviews. I just don't know if he'll be a player or not. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'm fine with these kinds of stories.....its all well and good and its better than hearing he's struggling....but this is fluff piece season. I've just read SO many similar types of stuff from other NFL cities. I'm rooting for Mond, I want Mond to succeed and at least take the #2 job at some point. But I'll really have to see it first to start believing anything. I do think he's got a very fresh start with the new regime. I do think he'll be more relaxed in Year 2. I like the way he handles himself in interviews. I just don't know if he'll be a player or not. 
I think the odds of him ever becoming our QBOTF are still very low. Infinitesimal really. But like I've said before, I'll just be happy if he can become our QB2. And that seems a little more plausible now, so I'll take it. 

Really nice to read and hopefully he looks good at training camp. Even if he never starts a game for us, if he’s able to push Mannion off the roster I say put him in the Ring of Honor.

Good to hear Mond isn't hiding in the HC's "dog house" anymore.  Really good to hear there are actual reports of him playing well, and working hard to get better.

How ironic would it be that Spielman finally drafted a decent QB.  The biggest thing with Mond is even back to college is he gets better every year,  meaning he is teachable.  I am not completely perked up,  the day we let Mannion go and Mond be the backup is the day I will think this is the real deal and not just coach speak.  

It's nice to hear something good about him. Wonder how he will do in training camp.

It’s pretty clear that the new front office’s goal is to be
the opposite of toxic.  Everything is
positive.  Everyone is doing great.  There is no dog house (that we’ll speak about
in public).  With Zimmer, he was blunt
about the truth on underperforming players. 
With KOC, we’ll just not hear about it, until we get cryptic tweets from
players about not being valued enough.

Quote: @medaille said:
It’s pretty clear that the new front office’s goal is to be
the opposite of toxic.  Everything is
positive.  Everyone is doing great.  There is no dog house (that we’ll speak about
in public).  With Zimmer, he was blunt
about the truth on underperforming players. 
With KOC, we’ll just not hear about it, until we get cryptic tweets from
players about not being valued enough.
....or....he really is doing better. 

I don't think Zimmer's problem was that he was truthful about underperforming players. It was that he was defensive with the media. When he responded "not particularly" when asked if he wanted to see Mond in that last game, I don't think he necessarily meant he wasn't ready. I think it was more "I'm the coach and I make the decisions and I will not be led to those decisions by the media." He answered most questions like that. 

Now, he's not alone in that. Belichick is the same way. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yep.  What are the coaches going to say?  He sucks and we can't wait till cut down day?