Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing defensive stat
Vikings defenses under Zimmer have always been good on 3rd down. Led the league in both 2017 and 2018. In fact, I think I remember their 3rd down defense one of those years was among the best in NFL history. What's amazing to me is that, despite losing half its starters and finishing among the worst defenses in the league in 2020, this defense STILL ranked in the top 10 on 3rd down. That's just shocking to me. That ain't secondary play. That ain't pass rush (what pass rush?). That's Mike Zimmer. 

I give him shit when I think he deserves it, but Zim is a great defensive mind we would truly miss if we were ever foolish enough to fire him. 

Defense is Zimmer's calling card no doubt...I root for the guy. He's old school. 

They brought him in here with Rogers in the Division, Stafford too. 

Vikings have had some good D's since then. But it's a what have you done for me lately league (and world) - and he hasn't had any more luck in CG's than all his predecessors since Grant. 

I wont bring up his record vs Nagy and LaFleur again. 

Mike is on the hot seat, win now. Or he's on his last contract with this team. Heck, with his age, it might be his last either way. 

Pete Carroll will be 70 in September. Bruce Arians is 68. And Zimmer just turned 65. So Z could coach another 3-5 years if he's successful, no problem. His contract takes him through the 2023 season. He's won a decent amount of games since 2014, I think he's top 7 or 8 for NFL head coaches in that time? 

But if another two frustrating years or ends to seasons happen, he might just say fuck it and retire after this contract. It might be a mutually agreed upon thing between ownership and Zimmer. 

I think if Spielman/Zimmer could have fielded a functional
OLine (aka not in the bottom 5) every year, the entire conversation would have
been a lot different.  I think he’d have
been in the playoffs every year except his first and maybe last year.  The conversation would be more along the
lines of the Dennis Green conversation of being in the playoffs every year, but
not getting to the big game.

I think what makes the most sense is to try and maximize the
offense, and field good enough players on defense and let Zimmer work his
magic.  Obviously last year, we struggled
with the dead cap hits from players not on our team anymore, combined with
injuries and Covid our defense was just too depleted, but I think it’s a good
overall strategy and better than the having an amazing defense and letting the
offense struggle with lesser talented players and new coordinators every year.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think if Spielman/Zimmer could have fielded a functional
OLine (aka not in the bottom 5) every year, the entire conversation would have
been a lot different.  I think he’d have
been in the playoffs every year except his first and maybe last year.  The conversation would be more along the
lines of the Dennis Green conversation of being in the playoffs every year, but
not getting to the big game.

I think what makes the most sense is to try and maximize the
offense, and field good enough players on defense and let Zimmer work his
magic.  Obviously last year, we struggled
with the dead cap hits from players not on our team anymore, combined with
injuries and Covid our defense was just too depleted, but I think it’s a good
overall strategy and better than the having an amazing defense and letting the
offense struggle with lesser talented players and new coordinators every year.
Hopefully Rick learned his lesson and the recent attention to the O-line in the draft will pay off.  We have a young, talented o-line made up of high draft picks.

I've always liked Zimmer. Does he have his flaws? Sure, but then who doesn't? Some folks tend to forget the onslaught of extenuating circumstances he's had to deal with since first arriving...and yet still manages to field competitive teams. The grass ain't always greener on the other side.

With that being said, all the ingredients are there for a big season, and as long as the team stays healthy I think we'll be going for a really fun ride.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
I've always liked Zimmer. Does he have his flaws? Sure, but then who doesn't? Some folks tend to forget the onslaught of extenuating circumstances he's had to deal with since first arriving...and yet still manages to field competitive teams. The grass ain't always greener on the other side.

With that being said, all the ingredients are there for a big season, and as long as the team stays healthy I think we'll be going for a really fun ride.

For this team to be special you need the D to gel with all the new players (which I think they will) and really you have to put the success or lack there of on offense on Kirk being last 10 games Kirk vs first 6 Kirk and Hill or Darrisaw being serviceable at LT.  I guess you could sprinkle in some questions on Jefferson not having a sophomore slump maybe?  Or the ever nervous kicking portion of our entertainment?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@PurpleCrush said:

For this team to be special you need the D to gel with all the new players (which I think they will) and really you have to put the success or lack there of on offense on Kirk being last 10 games Kirk vs first 6 Kirk and Hill or Darrisaw being serviceable at LT.  I guess you could sprinkle in some questions on Jefferson not having a sophomore slump maybe?  Or the ever nervous kicking portion of our entertainment?
I agree with that for the most part. I think the D will end up being fine, it's mostly vets and I do believe Zim will have them all on the same page sooner rather than later. My only worries on offense are the O-Line (until they prove otherwise) and the lack of a depth behind JJ & Thielen. Keeping fingers crossed neither gets hurt for an extended period of time. 

Oh yeah....kicker. I mean, there's really nothing to say about that except pray to the gods.

I read this this morning, and kept thinking, how did we compare on 1st, 2nd and chunk plays.  I know, I really tried to not think about it, but….

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
I read this this morning, and kept thinking, how did we compare on 1st, 2nd and chunk plays.  I know, I really tried to not think about it, but….
See that's the problem. They had a hard time getting teams to third down last year. Couldn't stop the run and had very little pressure on passing plays. 
I think the defense will be much better this year on all downs.