Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think Kirk Cousins can do it......
The right team, right situation. I think that might be the 2021 Vikings. He's a very good QB. I see a mini-window this year and next, no Super Bowl its Kellen Mond time 2 years from now potentially.

Cousins is good enough. We need a run and some luck. I like the next two years. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The right team, right situation. I think that might be the 2021 Vikings. He's a very good QB. I see a mini-window this year and next, no Super Bowl its Kellen Mond time 2 years from now potentially.

Considering how many pending free agents we have,  and how even moderate success on offense could have us looking for a new OC once again,  I say its this year or bust.

Oh great, the annual @StickyBun kiss of death, thanks bro…!
 Wink  B)

Quote: @Kentis said:
Oh great, the annual @StickyBun kiss of death, thanks bro…!
 Wink  B)
lol, like death and taxes!  :p

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Considering how many pending free agents we have,  and how even moderate success on offense could have us looking for a new OC once again,  I say its this year or bust.
Odd comment considering the Vikings have the 2nd youngest roster in the NFL.

That's one of the fascinating things about what the Vikings have done. Right under the nose of all the folks clamoring to tear it all down and rebuild, the Vikings have already done it. They've rebuilt this team. Defensive line rebuilt and young. Offensive line completely rebuilt and the youngest OL in the NFL. Starting RB is 25. Starting TE is 22. Best WR is 22. DB room and now even the QB room a good mix of veteran and youth. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

That's one of the fascinating things about what the Vikings have done. Right under the nose of all the folks clamoring to tear it all down and rebuild, the Vikings have already done it. They've rebuilt this team. Defensive line rebuilt and young. Offensive line completely rebuilt and the youngest OL in the NFL. Starting RB is 25. Starting TE is 22. Best WR is 22. DB room and now even the QB room a good mix of veteran and youth. 

And it happened within about 2 seasons as well...It wasn't pretty, wasn't without pain as a fan (or player). Hopefully we're on the precipice of payoff:

Vikings among the youngest NFL teams in average age
Minnesota has revamped its roster as of late, replacing older veterans with younger, more inexperienced players.
That has led to the Vikings fielding a young roster. According to Andrew Walker, a writer for the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota is tied for the second youngest roster in the NFL.
The Vikings have an average age of 24.74 years old across their roster, tying them with the Carolina Panthers. The only team younger than Minnesota is the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams have an average age of 24.62, per Walker.
Across the NFL North, the Vikings are clearly the youngest team in average age. The Green Bay Packers are the next youngest at No. 11 in the league with an average age of 25. The Detroit Lions are ranked 20th, while the Bears are 24th.
The Houston Texans are the oldest team in the NFL at an average age of 26.37 years old.
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/05...erage-age/

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Mond is an unknown,  Cousins is on a 2 year deal and if by chance we do have a good offensive year there is that already mentioned possibility of losing young Kubiak and having to start again with a new OC and possibly a new system,  which would likely set the O back thus cresting the possibility of kirks last year being a down year.   I dont see the Vikings making him a top tier contract guy again so that would be the start of the Mond Era so we are back to that being an unknown. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Mond is an unknown,  Cousins is on a 2 year deal and if by chance we do have a good offensive year there is that already mentioned possibility of losing young Kubiak and having to start again with a new OC and possibly a new system,  which would likely set the O back thus cresting the possibility of kirks last year being a down year.   I dont see the Vikings making him a top tier contract guy again so that would be the start of the Mond Era so we are back to that being an unknown. 
Well arent you glass 1/2 full today?   :p

I think with an improved OL, I can see The Capt'n having a great year and getting extended down the line too. It would be great if they hit on Mond, but I have ZERO expectation of him being a starter. 

I have no doubt that Cousins can do his part, but there's a ton of other parts involved.

Arguably, this team could be the best Vikings team ever...IF the OL additions gel quickly, IF the defense plays up to its potential, IF the ST's improve markedly, and IF the coaches improve as much as the OL needs to.

With a lot of pending contracts after this year, as mentioned above, it'd be a helluva trick to match the bunch we have now.

So, this could be the team that breaks the curse, that outscores the 98 team, that out-hustles the 09 team.  This could be the team that makes the Cousins Hate Club put down their chewed crayons and close up shop, the team that quits shooting itself in both feet...which would be a good idea anyway, ammunition is really pricey right now.

I don't claim to know whether the team can be all of that, but on paper...it could be this team.

If our D resumes allowing < 20 points/game I like our chances a lot…!  B)