Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Blue Jackets Goalie Dies after fireworks accident
Quote: @greediron said:
Sounds like someone wanted a better headline that "sports figure dies from slip and fall head injury".  Adding the fireworks angle gives the preachers something to latch onto.
I think what we witnessed was more information came out over time and so the story evolved to be more accurate. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@greediron said:
Sounds like someone wanted a better headline that "sports figure dies from slip and fall head injury".  Adding the fireworks angle gives the preachers something to latch onto.
Well, my interpretation is that they were probably sitting in a hot tub shooting off fireworks and then one started firing off towards them causing them to try and jump out of the hot tub rather abruptly. This is very sad, fireworks are nothing to be nonchalant about...you have to be in full control when lighting them off
Agreed.  Alcohol and explosions don't mix well.  I was simply commenting on the click baity headline.

Fireworks are stupid:

Made in China (nothing more American than that)
Cheap materials that horrible for the environment
They fuck up bees and birds (vital pollinators)
Frighten wild and domesticated animals
Can be traumatic for vets with PTSD

We can celebrate the birth of this great country without being assholes to it

I told yall not to JPP yourselves. 

He was killed by fireworks and not head trauma as fist reported:

Blue Jackets' Matiss Kivlenieks Dies In July Fourth Fire Works-Related Accident (Image: Blue Jackets)
[Image: AALNSOF.img?h=362&w=500&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=262&y=202]© Provided by uPolitics.com Blue Jackets' Matiss Kivlenieks Dies In July Fourth Fire Works-Related Accident (Image: Blue Jackets)Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Matiss Kivlenieks died in a fatal fireworks accident on July 4.
Kivlenieks was at the team’s goaltending coach Manny Legace‘s Michigan home. He and teammate Elvis Merzlikins traveled to Legace’s home to celebrate the holiday and Legace’s daughter’s wedding ceremony over the weekend.
It was initially reported Kivlenieks suffered a fatal head injury when he fell out of a hot tub during the incident. An autopsy later revealed that wasn’t the case, and instead, his cause of death was chest trauma.
Michigan police stated that a fireworks mortar was properly lit and began firing at people, including Kivlenieks, who was in the hot tub. The goalkeeper was attempting to shield himself from the mortar when he was struck in the chest. Police said that the goalkeeper was 10 feet away from the mortar when he was struck. He died from a percussive injury caused by the blast, causing major damage to his heart and lungs.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/...15556?s=19
As I read elsewhere, he saved his best save for his last.