Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
600 more...

Report: over 600 bodies found at Indigenous school in Canada
VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Leaders of Indigenous groups in Canada said Thursday investigators have found more than 600 unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school for Indigenous children — a discovery that follows last month's report of 215 bodies found at another school.

The bodies were discovered at the Marieval Indian Residential School, which operated from 1899 to 1997 where the Cowessess First Nation is now located, about 85 miles (135 kilometers) east of Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan.
A search with ground-penetrating radar resulted in 751 ''hits,'' indicating that at least 600 bodies were buried in the area, said Chief Cadmus Delorme of the Cowessess. The radar operators have said their results could have a margin of error of 10%.
"We want to make sure when we tell our story that we're not trying to make numbers sound bigger than they are," Delorme said. "I like to say over 600, just to be assured."
He said the search continues and the radar hits will be assessed by a technical team and the numbers will be verified in coming weeks.
Delorme said that the graves were marked at one time, but that the Roman Catholic Church that operated the school had removed the markers.
On Twitter, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he was "terribly saddened" to learn of the latest discovery.
"My heart breaks for the Cowessess First Nation following the discovery of Indigenous children buried at the former Marieval Residential School," he said, adding that ''we will tell the truth about these injustices."
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe said the entire province mourns the discovery of the unmarked graves.
Florence Sparvier, 80, said she attended the Marieval Indian Residential School.
"The nuns were very mean to us," she said. "We had to learn how to be Roman Catholic. We couldn't say our own little blessings."
Nuns at the school were "condemning about our people" and the pain inflicted continues generations later, Sparvier said.
"We learned how to not like who we were," she said. "That has gone on and it's still going on.''
Last month the remains of 215 children, some as young as 3 years old, were found buried on the site of what was once Canada's largest Indigenous residential school near Kamloops, British Columbia.
Following that discovery, Pope Francis expressed his pain over the discovery and pressed religious and political authorities to shed light on "this sad affair." But he didn't offer the apology sought by First Nations and by the Canadian government.
"An apology is one stage in the way of a healing journey," Delorme said.
"This was a crime against humanity, an assault on First Nations," said Chief Bobby Cameron of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous First Nations in Saskatchewan. He said he expects more graves will be found on residential school grounds across Canada.
"We will not stop until we find all the bodies," he said.
From the 19th century until the 1970s, more than 150,000 Indigenous children were forced to attend state-funded Christian schools, the majority of them run by Roman Catholic missionary congregations, in a campaign to assimilate them into Canadian society.
The Canadian government has admitted that physical and sexual abuse was rampant in the schools, with students beaten for speaking their native languages.
https://www.startribune.com/report-over-...600071551/

honestly though,  when looking at our own country's history of how the natives were treated are we surprised to learn it happened in other places as well?  look at Africa, central and south America and so many other parts of the world,  indigenous peoples are still being treated horribly but we rarely hear any outrage.   Humans as whole are not a very good species,  for the planet or each other.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
honestly though,  when looking at our own country's history of how the natives were treated are we surprised to learn it happened in other places as well?  look at Africa, central and south America and so many other parts of the world,  indigenous peoples are still being treated horribly but we rarely hear any outrage.   Humans as whole are not a very good species,  for the planet or each other.
We feel good about outrage, but mention reparations, whats the response?  What treaty is valid in SD, the 1868 Two Nations?

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
We feel good about outrage, but mention reparations, whats the response?  What treaty is valid in SD, the 1868 Two Nations?
What will reparations do?  The US govt has been dumping billions into the reservations for decades,  free tuition as well as many other perks and what is the result?  It created a nation of poverty and dependence out of what only 150 years ago was one of the most self sufficient and proud peoples we could ever imagine.  What the Sioux ( and other indian nations) have been reduced to is a very sad tragedy,   but I dont think more money is going to change the trajectory of the native American Indian peoples.  Honestly I often wonder if the best thing for the future of the peoples is if the reservations were dissolved.  Its not like most natives are living a traditional life,  and there is no way we could return to them the life they had nor could/would most of them take that lifestyle anyway.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
What will reparations do?  The US govt has been dumping billions into the reservations for decades,  free tuition as well as many other perks and what is the result?  It created a nation of poverty and dependence out of what only 150 years ago was one of the most self sufficient and proud peoples we could ever imagine.  What the Sioux ( and other indian nations) have been reduced to is a very sad tragedy,   but I dont think more money is going to change the trajectory of the native American Indian peoples.  Honestly I often wonder if the best thing for the future of the peoples is if the reservations were dissolved.  Its not like most natives are living a traditional life,  and there is no way we could return to them the life they had nor could/would most of them take that lifestyle anyway.
I guess nothing, indignation is enough if you don’t have any skin in the game and your solution is status quo. Just what I thought, you have a complexed and nuanced response, you never dissapoint.

@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I guess nothing, indignation is enough if you don’t have any skin in the game and your solution is status quo. Just what I thought, you have a complexed and nuanced response, you never dissapoint.
Where did I suggest the status quo?  I said the status quo is yet another example of failed govt.  Do you even bother to read responses or do you just start spewing shit?

And your solution is what?  You like to ridicule but you rarely offer much.  If you are so fucking smart and have all the answers what is your solution.   

These kids were tortured, raped, abused and murdered. It's horrific. And the reservation system here in this country is a joke. But having said that, I don't know what reparations would do exactly. I'm not saying I'm against it per se, but I also don't see strong evidence it will be a great help if it doesn't directly help those that were actually killed (the families, not generations there -after). 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
These kids were tortured, raped, abused and murdered. It's horrific. And the reservation system here in this country is a joke. But having said that, I don't know what reparations would do exactly. I'm not saying I'm against it per se, but I also don't see strong evidence it will be a great help if it doesn't directly help those that were actually killed (the families, not generations there -after). 
Thats where I'm at.  My heart says we can never do enough to make up for what the settlers of this land did to its native inhabitants,   but then again with as much time as has passed and the way things are now.....what could be done that would actually improve their lives.  Sure some would put a cash or land payout to good use and set their families up,  but a great many more have no financial or really much for other skills and would piss  the cash away and would sell the land and be right back where they started.  

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great success stories coming off the reservations but sadly they are not the rule.  The reservations are typically on the poorest land for resources and other opportunities and I can't imagine growing up surrounded by that much govt dependence is much for inspiring hope for a better future,   it should,  but I have to think for many in generational poverty,  from an early age on they don't really see any other way and quickly fall into its grasp.

It would be nice to see some type of tax incentives (maybe there are and I just dont see them used) to locate facilities on the reservations that would not only employ NAs,  but offer education and opportunities for advancement to get off the res.  However there are so many hurdles in the way I just dont know if it would be possible/feasible. 

I do know the tribe nearest me has started a few businesses that were NA owned and operated,   one is still going strong,  the other was shuttered within 5 years as they couldn't keep it staffed as the incentive to work wasn't worth the effort in that community, I guess.

It's a sad cycle,   but something needs to change,  I just dont see an easy solution.

reconciliation is the only pathway.  I have worked with the First Nations in BC, AB and SK.  The only pathway forward is true reconciliation

@JimmyinSD said:

I've yet to harm a native american or black slave.  Nor did my ancestors.  You're welcome to start a gofundme account to assist them in any way you feel appropriate.  But not one damn nickle of my hard earned money needs to go towards any reparations.