Vikings First Round Picks Since 2015:
15 - Trae Waynes
16 - Laquon Treadwell
17 - nobody (Bradford trade)
18 - Mike Hughes
19 - Garrett Bradbury
20 - Justin Jefferson / Jeff Gladney
21 - Christian Darrisaw

Trae Waynes was OK, but nothing special.  Treadwell came in injured and when he got healthy he busted.  Hughes started OK then got injured and busted - at least for us.  Bradbury has not shown that he was worthy of going in the first.  He may not be a bust but at best he looks like a decent third round pick.  Maybe he will improve with better talent around him.  But the way he gets walked back into Cousins' lap cannot be blamed on others. Jefferson is a star.  Gladney - it's not looking good.  Darrisaw: fingers crossed. 

It would be interesting to look at other teams over this same stretch and see how many of their 1st rounders have panned out and are still with the team. Waynes was a good player for a few years, but he took a step back in his last year here and did not earn a second contract. He also tore his pec last season, so he did not play in any games for the Bengals.

I agree with your assessments of the picks, though I felt that Waynes was a good number 2 corner for a few years, but really fell off in his last season with the Vikings. I'll also note that at the time I liked more of the picks than not. Treadwell was disappointing, because he did work very hard, but he could just never get things going and then the drops really seemed to get into his head.

It's pretty consistent with other teams. Green Bay only has Jaire being good. Detroit is Detroit. Bears are definitely worse than us. Out of the division, we have been probably the best of the 4 teams

Quote: @Tyr said:
It would be interesting to look at other teams over this same stretch and see how many of their 1st rounders have panned out and are still with the team. Waynes was a good player for a few years, but he took a step back in his last year here and did not earn a second contract. He also tore his pec last season, so he did not play in any games for the Bengals.

I agree with your assessments of the picks, though I felt that Waynes was a good number 2 corner for a few years, but really fell off in his last season with the Vikings. I'll also note that at the time I liked more of the picks than not. Treadwell was disappointing, because he did work very hard, but he could just never get things going and then the drops really seemed to get into his head.
The picks I really did not care for were Treadwell and Bradbury.  But I thought each of them would at least be serviceable.  In 2015, I guess we all knew it was going to be a CB; I wanted Marcus Peters. But I knew he had issues and probably was not a good fit for Zimmer.  Waynes had great speed and I was OK with that pick.  

In 2016, I wanted Doctson but he was gone when we picked.  My second choice was Michael Thomas mostly because of bloodlines.  Had no idea he would become what he has become.  In 2018, I wanted Will Hernandez.  I thought he would be better than he is, but he is still be better than what we've had until this year (he says hopefully).  In '19, I wanted Andre Dillard.  An undersized Center could have been available in the 3rd or the 4th.  Last year, I liked Aiyuk better than Jefferson (I was way off!) and Jaylon Johnson better than Gladney.

It's a bit of a crapshoot.  So if we are not picking in the top 10, I usually prefer getting multiple picks in the second and third rounds.

I thought it was only like 20% of 1sts being serviceable after a few years. Could very well be wrong on that number but it was supprisingly low. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
15 - Trae Waynes
16 - Laquon Treadwell
18 - Mike Hughes
19 - Garrett Bradbury
21 - Christian Darrisaw

Trae Waynes was OK, but nothing special.  Treadwell came in injured and when he got healthy he busted.  Hughes started OK then got injured and busted - at least for us. 

\He may not be a bust but at best he looks like a decent third round pick.  Maybe he will improve with better talent around him.  But the way he gets walked back into Cousins' lap cannot be blamed on others. Jefferson is a star.  Gladney - it's not looking good.  Darrisaw: fingers crossed. 

-Bradbury has been a project so far.    I don't understand  why.

When the 2nd? Olineman taken off the board is a project.....that's bad.

Same goes for Waynes @ 11? as the first CB taken in the draft.

And If Gladney doesn't fix himself, that'll be 5 straight first round Whiff

To be fair how about our 2nd round picks, everyone of them is probably a starter this year, two of them are pro bowlers and the best at their position -
15 - Kendricks
16 - Mac Alexander
17 - Cook
18 – O’Neil
19 – Irv Smith
20 - Cleveland

It is super easy to look back and say "I would have instead done this instead," but honestly 16 and 18 are the head scratchers for me. Obviously the jury is still out for 19-21

15 - Trae Waynes
  • No CB in this first round is still with their first team. Not overly mad about the Wayne's pick myself though.  There was a lot of discussion at first about should we have taken Marcus Peters instead, but would his attitude have jived with the team? 
16 - Laquon Treadwell
  • No excuse for this one, but this wasn't a great first round for WR's at all.  Would have been nice to grab Kenny Clark, but we had Joseph at the time. Couple of later WR's would have been nice, but I'm not gonna name the dbag that plays for the Saints. 
  • What could have been here...
18 - Mike Hughes
  • Would have been nice to get Lamar Jackson or Will Hernandez.
19 - Garrett Bradbury
21 - Christian Darrisaw