Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hughes traded to Chiefs
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@prairieghost said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
If we are freeing up more cap space, gotta think we are getting ready to do some semi-serious shopping...
Kerrigan?
Maybe or Westbrook. Or both.
Or Julio. Told you....I had a dream that he's coming to MN

Unsubstantiated rumor that we might target Sherman.

After rookies, post June 1, we've got about $14.5 million in cap space.

Getcha popcorn ready, we're not going to Big Lots...
That's what I was thinking. With Gladney uncertain, our dime back right now is either Hand or Boyd. I think the Vikings will be adding a corner at some point. Geno Atkins would not surprise me either. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

That's what I was thinking. With Gladney uncertain, our dime back right now is either Hand or Boyd. I think the Vikings will be adding a corner at some point. Geno Atkins would not surprise me either. 
While Geno wouldn't be a Big Lots purchase, that seems more like Target, maybe Kohl's. I think we are in Macy's territory. Maybe Sak's.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Currently the Vikings have 16 DL on the roster. Geno is a nice player, but I feel like we have addressed the DL and should move in other directions. I think we need to be looking at WR, secondary, and OL....and kicker of course, because always

Zim is supposed to be the CB whisperer. Yet the Viking have spent tons of capital on drafting CBs with little to show for it. Doesn't that strike anyone as being odd?

@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

While Geno wouldn't be a Big Lots purchase, that seems more like Target, maybe Kohl's. I think we are in Macy's territory. Maybe Sak's.
I think Geno would be Macy's in terms of the cap. You're probably not going to sign him for more than a year so all of it hits this year's cap. 1 year, $8-$10M type thing. Just a guess.

Plus they still haven't come to terms with Harry and Hunter, assuming they're talking to both. If they want to, they can open up an enormous amount of additional cap space in new contracts for each.  

I could see us going after a DE or 3t, probably not spend big $$ on a wr 3. OL depth? certainly could use a Safety. 

I think we're going to see some reworked contracts before anything. 

As far as Gladney, you guys are far more optimistic than I am. That kinda s hit aint going to sit with Wilfs at all. Maybe (maybe) he does and says all the right things, I still say he's there at most 1/2 the snaps this season. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Currently the Vikings have 16 DL on the roster. Geno is a nice player, but I feel like we have addressed the DL and should move in other directions. I think we need to be looking at WR, secondary, and OL....and kicker of course, because always
I'm fine going into the season with what we have at DL. But many of the 16 you're referring to are guys who will not be on the 53 come summer: Holmes, Jaleel, Mata'afa, Brailford. And we're still lacking a player who can provide some kind of inside pass rush. I think on a rotational basis Geno would be a nightmare. But we'll see...vikings could be looking at CB and WR too. 

I honestly never thought much of Hughes as a player.  Yeah, he was hurt quite a bit, but besides the pick six his rookie year, he didn't impress me much.  I also don't think Gladney had a very good rookie season.  Maybe a bit better than Hughes had, but not by much, IMO.  Now that Gladney has been arrested, I a could care less if the Vikes just cut their losses on both of these guys.  Both appear to be 1st round busts.

Giving up on HughesZimmer doesn't seem too broken up about moving on from cornerback Mike Hughes, the 2018 first-round draft pick who was traded along with a 2022 seventh-round pick to Kansas City for a 2022 sixth-round pick.
"Mike is a terrific kid, but he's been injured an awful lot," Zimmer said.
A torn knee ligament his rookie year and neck injuries the last two years have limited Hughes to 24 games and only seven starts.
"We were fortunate to get a couple corners last year in the draft, we signed Patrick Peterson in free agency, so I think that gave us an opportunity to make the trade," Zimmer said. "But as far as our corner depth, honestly you guys laugh at me, but you can never have too many good corners. They just get hurt."
The Vikings also are dealing with cornerback Jeff Gladney's legal issues. He is facing felony assault charges after an arrest last month.
"We're just letting it all play out," Zimmer said. "I really can't say what I know, so I'll just leave it at that."
https://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-...600057735/