Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Kerrigan?
listening to NFL on XM radio Moving the Chains show with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin said the Vikings are talking with Ryan Kerrigan from WFT.  

Vikings linked to pair of veteran free agents (msn.com)
With the 2021 NFL Draft firmly in the rearview mirror, the Minnesota Vikings still need to add a few more pieces to get their roster to 90 players before Training Camp. To that end, they have been linked with a couple of veteran free agents that could help shore up both sides of the football.
The first player is defensive end Ryan Kerrigan, who the Vikings have expressed an interest in according to Darren Wolfson of KSTP in the Twin Cities. Kerrigan was the 16th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft by the artists currently known as the Washington Football Team. He’s currently fifth among active players in career sacks with 95.5, a figure that makes him the all-time leader for the Red. . .er, Football Team. . .in that category. He’s spent his entire NFL career in DC and is still available in free agency after a 2020 season that saw him put up 5.5 sacks.
The other player is wide receiver Dede Westbrook, formerly of the Jacksonville JaguarsPro Football Talk is reporting that the Vikings have had “preliminary discussions” with Westbrook. His case is a bit trickier, as he suffered an ACL tear in October of this past season. His best season came in 2018, a season that saw him catch 63 passes for 707 yards and five touchdowns. However, he had slowly fallen out of favor in Jacksonville and was the fourth receiver on the depth chart for the Jaguars when he suffered the ACL tear that ended his season.
Kerrigan and Westbook would both fill some immediate needs for the Vikings if both are healthy. I don’t think there’s any reason to believe Kerrigan isn’t 100%, but we’re not sure about how Westbrook’s rehab is going so far. However, Kerrigan would likely slot in immediately at defensive end across from Danielle Hunter on defense, and Westbrook. . .again, if he’s healthy. . .would likely be the favorite to capture the #3 wide receiver spot going into Training Camp.
Salary cap space would likely not be a concern if the Vikings wanted to sign either or both of these players. As things stand right now, they have about $7.6 million in cap space remaining, and are set to receive nearly $8 million more after 1 June as they designated tight end Kyle Rudolph as a post-1 June cut.
What do you think of the prospect of the Minnesota Vikings adding Ryan Kerrigan and/or Dede Westbrook to the roster, folks?

looks great.  Westbrook has some a talent and seems to be a hard worker on the field.   always trying to get an extra yard. Could be a better #3 WR than J Wright

Kerrigan could be great here again.  A rotation guy who can be in on passing downs.  With Kerrigan, Hunter, Weatherly, Wonnum and the rookies, i feel strong about high end DE play for a season.  Great rotation and trust for Zim

we get great pressure from the ends?  we will have performing CBs, dangerous blitz packages, and stout run D (Pierce-Kendricks-Tomlinson could be the best d triangle).  

Thats the recipe of a top 5 defense again

I'd love to see Kerrigan sign here, it would be a nice FA pickup. Love his attitude and has sack ability. He'll be 33 before the season begins, but on a 1 or 2 year contract, hell yes. Vikes D-line would be fierce. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'd love to see Kerrigan sign here, it would be a nice FA pickup. Love his attitude and has sack ability. He'll be 33 before the season begins, but on a 1 or 2 year contract, hell yes. Vikes D-line would be fierce. 
He's not what he used to be, but I think in a rotational role, he can give us a lot of pressure off the edge.

Washington switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 last year and in the opener, Kerrigan got two sacks and a fumble recovery, earning him defensive player of the week. He totaled 5.5 sacks in 2020 despite splitting time with Chase Young and Montez Sweat. Lining up as a DE in a 4-3 might be the perfect thing for him at this stage of his career. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
He's not what he used to be, but I think in a rotational role, he can give us a lot of pressure off the edge.

Washington switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 last year and in the opener, Kerrigan got two sacks and a fumble recovery, earning him defensive player of the week. He totaled 5.5 sacks in 2020 despite splitting time with Chase Young and Montez Sweat. Lining up as a DE in a 4-3 might be the perfect thing for him at this stage of his career. 

I agree, also some veteran leadership in the defensive line group would also be helpful imo.

Quote: @Chuckf said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

I agree, also some veteran leadership in the defensive line group would also be helpful imo.
We have Hunter, Pierce, and Tomlinson.... how much more veteran leadership do you need?

Kerrigan would be a nice rotational guy,  but honestly I would see Everson coming back to jump offsides on crucial short yardage situations before we bring in a guy green to the scheme.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Chuckf said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

We have Hunter, Pierce, and Tomlinson.... how much more veteran leadership do you need?

Kerrigan would be a nice rotational guy,  but honestly I would see Everson coming back to jump offsides on crucial short yardage situations before we bring in a guy green to the scheme.

Minus a meltdown...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Chuckf said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

I don't see Everson at all, to many burnt bridges and disruptions.

Quote: @VikeMike52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Chuckf said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

I don't see Everson at all, to many burnt bridges and disruptions.
I was thinking if they wanted another veteran,  Ev would likely come cheap and knows the system.  I dont see them using any more cap space on DL.  I could see a veteran WR or DB though,  we are still pretty thin at S.