Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14 Days To Go
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
This feels like the likely direction to me. Zimmer is not going to get caught with his pants down on defense again 
they used FA to fix his D,  its time to focus back on the O.  

I don't disagree but even with our own line problems last season we were a top rated offense. I think a pass rusher makes a lot of sense and using our plethora of draft picks to move back up into a deep o line crop also makes sense. 14 days to go...

@supafreak84 said:
This feels like the likely direction to me. Zimmer is not going to get caught with his pants down on defense again 
My thinking as well, plus they get Hunter and Barr back..Mid-tier edgers available later.

They got a big question mark @ LT  and that's not what any GM or fan wants to type.

If Darrisaw is there? They can't pass on him imo. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

I don't disagree but even with our own line problems last season we were a top rated offense. I think a pass rusher makes a lot of sense and using our plethora of draft picks to move back up into a deep o line crop also makes sense. 14 days to go...
they added a pass rusher in Tomlinson and Hunter over what they fielded last year.   they are now on the hook for another 35 million in cousins for 2022,  they damn well not go cheap on the protection.   If this team is truly all in on cousins,  which they better be since they committed to his big pay day next year,  then they need to quit fucking around with the OL ( and that is what playing musical chairs would be )  and settle in with players in the positions they have played and draft/sign/trade for players to fill the remaining openings.

where is a year 1 guys going to be most likely to get the most playing time and offer long term cap savings?  I have my doubts that a year one DLman gets on the field in Zimmers D much.  Really none have done so to date,  however our 3 returning OL starters all played significantly in their rookie seasons on the OL and with openings at both LT and LG ( assuming Cole isnt a lock there, and praying Dozier isnt even a consideration ) then OL seems to make the most sense for both the now and the future,  unless the team isnt going to pay Hunter his demands then that changes everything. 

I like what Geoff did in his first mock draft, where he was still able to get Darrisaw in a trade back, then get an impact rusher (Tryon) in the 2nd with that additional pick. Then get a QB in the 3rd (my preference is still Mond, but it looks like he may not get out of the second now). AND get a guy like Kendrick Greene as a guy to develop behind Cole. 

"they damn well not go cheap on the protection."

Words to live by, man. Words to live by.

I think we need to be looking at LB in day 2 this year as well.  Barr is not a big money guy and will be a FA after this year that will likely bring that money from somebody,  might as well have a replacement plan in place and get some experience this year.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
I like what Geoff did in his first mock draft, where he was still able to get Darrisaw in a trade back, then get an impact rusher (Tryon) in the 2nd with that additional pick. Then get a QB in the 3rd (my preference is still Mond, but it looks like he may not get out of the second now). AND get a guy like Kendrick Greene as a guy to develop behind Cole. 
Let's speak that shit into existence.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
Let's speak that shit into existence.
In the last week since my 1st mock I tend to think the O-lineman are going to go earlier than expected so while in that moment getting Darrisaw a few slots back from #14 was possible, I'm not convinced that is as likely anymore. 

If Sewell falls to #7, Detroit could possibly take him as the BPA which would set into motion the run on lineman. The Panthers, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, and Chargers could all go O-line. Then you have the teams in the late teens/early 20's sniffing lineman. So you probably need to see 2-3 guys on the board you like to move back, which appears less likely. 

Funny how so much can change in a week but if the Vikings want the lineman of their choice they may actually need to move up a few slots. Otherwise sliding back for defense or the 2nd tier of lineman (Cosmi or Jenkins) makes more sense. 

@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

they added a pass rusher in Tomlinson and Hunter over what they fielded last year.   they are now on the hook for another 35 million in cousins for 2022,  they damn well not go cheap on the protection.   If this team is truly all in on cousins,  which they better be since they committed to his big pay day next year,  then they need to quit fucking around with the OL ( and that is what playing musical chairs would be )  and settle in with players in the positions they have played and draft/sign/trade for players to fill the remaining openings.

where is a year 1 guys going to be most likely to get the most playing time and offer long term cap savings?  I have my doubts that a year one DLman gets on the field in Zimmers D much.  Really none have done so to date,  however our 3 returning OL starters all played significantly in their rookie seasons on the OL and with openings at both LT and LG ( assuming Cole isnt a lock there, and praying Dozier isnt even a consideration ) then OL seems to make the most sense for both the now and the future,  unless the team isnt going to pay Hunter his demands then that changes everything. 
I'm with you, I just don't believe Zim is going to go into the season short handed on defense after last year's debacle. Say you add Jaelen Phillips, that gives you a rush package of Hunter, Phillips, Tomlinson and DJ Wonnum...which could be elite, and you have to beat Aaron Rodgers to win the division. 

That and the fact that we can get starting guards through the second and third round leads me to believe that's the direction we go in

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

I'm with you, I just don't believe Zim is going to go into the season short handed on defense after last year's debacle. Say you add Jaelen Phillips, that gives you a rush package of Hunter, Phillips, Tomlinson and DJ Wonnum...which could be elite, and you have to beat Aaron Rodgers to win the division. 

That and the fact that we can get starting guards through the second and third round leads me to believe that's the direction we go in
I would rather they add an OT early to take Reiffs spot and not rely on Hill or the notion that we can move Oneill and rely on Udoh,  a guy that didnt sniff playing time last year that I can recall.