Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- The History of Comedy (HBO)
Interesting documentary on the history of comedy - stand up comedians, cartoon comedy, etc. that I've been enjoying.
For the most part extremely well done.

Granted, I'm only halfway through season two, but I can't believe some of the glaring omissions (Maybe in the later episodes?)

Flip Wilson -  Flip Wilson was one of the first African-American's to host his own show, featuring other comedians, skits (Geraldine) Sports stars as guests like Joe Namath , Muhummed Ali, ("I thought I could talk, but I've met my match!) etc.  I listened to his records in the '70's until the grooves wore out.  Johnny Carson once quoted as saying, "I think that's the funniest lines I've ever heard in my life" as flip Wilson told his "Ugly Baby" joke.  

MASH - Honestly re-wrote the approach to television comedies for a decade - Sure it got a little "preachy" at the end, but the writing and comedic timing: McLean Stevenson, Alan Alda, Wayne Rogers, Larry Linville, Loretta Swit, Gary Burghoff, Jamie Farr - Later Harry Morgan.  Was absolutely brilliant

Adam Sandler - To be honest I'm not a Sandler fan, but you can't argue with both his contributions on SNL but particularly his films (and again there's only a couple I liked........Waterboy, Longest Yard re-make, Happy Gilmore)  He is mentioned briefly in conjunction with Chris Farley, but When I see the guys from "Kids in the Hall" (Which I enjoyed) more than Adam Sandler, there's just something wrong there.

Anyone out there watching? opinions?

Oh....and Paul Lynde......also...."Missing in action"

https://youtu.be/q1Km6E_0sLg

Used to listen to Wilson and Cosby records as kids.  Always liked this on from Flip.
Flip also created the role of Reverend Leroy, who was the “religious minister” of the Church of What’s Happening Now. Because I am a pastor, there is one “Reverend Leroy” skit that still makes me laugh. Rev. Leroy was trying to get his people to be more enthusiastic about their church, so he said in his sermon, “If this church is going to get anywhere, it has to learn to crawl.”
And the people said, “Let it crawl, Rev. Let it crawl!” Then he said, “And after it learns to crawl, it has to learn to walk.” And the people said, “Let it walk, Rev. Let it walk!” Then he got excited and said, “After this church learns to walk, it has to learn to run! And if this church is going to run, it’s going to take money!” And the people said, “Let it crawl, Rev. Let it crawl!”

^^^^   One of my favorites !      His "Columbus routine" I could recite from memory.

"Chris, we better not go in there...those Indians are CRAZY"

Chris said, "Turn the boat around, we'll leave....we'll make a map and give it to the Pilgrims...The Pilgrims will fix their ass!"