Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one that doubts QB Mac Jones?

[Image: zOb6W64M_bigger.jpg]
4 FBS QBs since 2000 to have a 70+ comp % & a TD-INT ratio of at least 10:1 in a single season.

Mac Jones in 2020 (77.4%, 41 TD, 4 INT)
Joe Burrow in 2019 (76.3%, 60 TD, 6 INT)
Tua Tagovailoa in 2019 (71.4%, 33 TD, 3 INT)
Zach Wilson in 2020 (73.5%, 33 TD, 3 INT)

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Well....if you could get Kirk Cousins in this draft, at 22 years old, on a rookie contract, where would you draft him? 
That's a big assumption on your part. No way to know he's got that kind of ability. 

49ers brain trust at odds over QB pick? … Interesting report in the local paper in San Francisco over the weekend suggesting that there is some disagreement between 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan and the rest of the personnel over which QB to select with the 3rd pick overall at the 2021 draft. According to the report, Shanahan wants the 49ers to select Alabama QB Mac Jones at that spot, whereas the rest of the front office is leaning toward Trey Lance of North Dakota State. The 49ers, of course, acquired the 3rd pick from Miami for a couple of future first round picks last week with the intention of selecting a QB. Shanahan reportedly sees Jones as a nice fit for the kind of offense he plans to run with the 49ers next year. However, the feeling in the personnel department is that Lance is simply the higher graded prospect and that if Jones was the target the 49ers didn’t really have to give up all that draft capital to move up to the third pick from the 12th.
At the same time, if, as expected, QBs are the first three players off the board on the 29th, then the real intrigue of the 2021 draft could start with the Falcons picking 4th. Of course, the Falcons could very well make it four QBs off the board to start the opening round. And, as we have noted in several recent items, the Falcons have been doing their due diligence on this year’s QB class with senior execs including owner Arthur Blank, G.M. Terry Fontenot and head coach Arthur Smith attending all the pro day workouts of each of this year’s top QB prospects which suggests Atlanta may be preparing to move on from 36-year-old incumbent starter Matt Ryan. However, before we get too far over our skies, it should be noted that the Falcons have also had senior people in attendance at the pro days of the top non-QB prospects such as Florida TE Kyle Pitts, LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase and Oregon OT Penei Sewell, each of whom would also be a value pick for Atlanta at that point.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Well....if you could get Kirk Cousins in this draft, at 22 years old, on a rookie contract, where would you draft him? 
That's a big assumption on your part. No way to know he's got that kind of ability. 
No of course. It's a hypothetical. just curious what people thought. If you could draft Kirk Cousins, knowing he would BE Kirk Cousins with all that entails, good and bad, AND you get him at 22 on a rookie contract, where would you draft him? 

I think it's pretty obvious he would go 1st round. But would he be Top 10? I think so. With Lawrence, Wilson and maybe even Lance, there's a hope of greatness--mahomes level greatness. Despite the possibility of total bust, teams will pay a lot on that gamble on greatness. I have my concerns about Fields, but some teams may seem him in that category, too. But I think Cousins goes right after that group. So right where Mac Jones is...

I guess my point is if you could get a Cousins-like career out of Jones--at 22, on a rookie contract--you'd probably take him right where he's going to go. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
[Image: zOb6W64M_bigger.jpg]
4 FBS QBs since 2000 to have a 70+ comp % & a TD-INT ratio of at least 10:1 in a single season.

Mac Jones in 2020 (77.4%, 41 TD, 4 INT)
Joe Burrow in 2019 (76.3%, 60 TD, 6 INT)
Tua Tagovailoa in 2019 (71.4%, 33 TD, 3 INT)
Zach Wilson in 2020 (73.5%, 33 TD, 3 INT)
"Per ESPN stats and info, Jones registered a QBR of 78.3 when pressured and a 97.3 QBR when blitzed, which speaks to his ability to quickly process what's in front of him and get the ball out. Fields, who sometimes holds onto the ball too long and struggled against pressure last season, registered a QBR of 22.6 when pressured over his last 13 games and 81.1 when blitzed. For context, Zach Wilson ranked second in the class with a 44.0 QBR when pressured, which is quite good, which goes to show how impressive Jones' numbers are."

Mac Jones is a legit NFL QB prospect IMO.  He's good moving around in the pocket when he feels pressure and he does a good of finding the open guy and making plays.  Yes, he was surrounded by a ton of talent, but so was Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow and I don't see anyone holding that against them.

I find it far fetched that the 49ers front office doesn't know exactly which QB they are taking with the pick. You don't make that kind of move and mortgage the future to still be having discussion and disagreement over it. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I find it far fetched that the 49ers front office doesn't know exactly which QB they are taking with the pick. You don't make that kind of move and mortgage the future to still be having discussion and disagreement over it. 
the move was made before the bama pro day wasnt it?  if so,  they may have seen some things that has given them something to reconsider.   they made the move based on the information they had at the time and perhaps somebody else was ready to pull that trigger and they decided that they needed to jump first and ask questions later?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
the move was made before the bama pro day wasnt it?  if so,  they may have seen some things that has given them something to reconsider.   they made the move based on the information they had at the time and perhaps somebody else was ready to pull that trigger and they decided that they needed to jump first and ask questions later?
I doubt it, but if that's the case I don't know why they didn't wait until after all the pro days to make the move when all the info was known. Far more likely they already knew who they were picking before the trade was made.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
I doubt it, but if that's the case I don't know why they didn't wait until after all the pro days to make the move when all the info was known. Far more likely they already knew who they were picking before the trade was made.
They may have thought they knew,  but like I said,  they may have seen some things since the trade that has broken that consensus.