Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing PawPaw in the line-up
Cameron Dantzler is eight years younger than Patrick Peterson, the cornerback he's replacing in the Vikings' starting lineup on Sunday night against the Cowboys.
As far as NFL experience goes, Dantzler might as well be 80 years younger, which is how he spoke about his 11th NFL start. Peterson would've been making his 161st start against Dallas, but a hamstring injury will keep him sidelined for at least the next three games.
"He's like a grandfather to me," Dantzler said of Peterson. "He's that guy who's going to be 100, keep it real with you, and be straightforward. He's just like, 'It's your time. [I'll] be out a few weeks, just go out there and make plays.'"
Peterson, a three-time All-Pro pick, has been credited for mentoring the Vikings' young corners since arriving on a one-year deal this offseason. But now Dantzler is back in the spotlight, where any progress made in a rocky second Vikings season will be illuminated on national television against Cowboys receivers Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb.
Dantzler, a 2020 third-round pick, went from starting 10 games as a rookie to being a healthy inactive in Week 1. He said he was humbled and driven to "push a little more" in practices, while coach Mike Zimmer said he has indeed seen a difference.
"He's been a little bit more focused on what he's trying to do out there," Zimmer said. "He's had opportunities to make some plays."
Since Week 1, Dantzler has appeared in three games on defense, playing nearly the entire Week 4 loss to the Browns after replacing Bashaud Breeland. He missed the next game against Detroit due to a positive COVID-19 test and 10-day quarantine, which briefly set back his plans to add weight to a wiry 6-foot-2-inch frame.
"I'm probably like 180 [pounds] right now," Dantzler said. "Lost a few pounds due to COVID, but I feel like I'm starting to get my weight back thanks to the nutrition and I'm feeling great right now."
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-note...600109899/

P2's been our best corner and we'll miss him, but Breeland, Dantzler, Alexander and Hand is still 3X better than what we had out there last year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
P2's been our best corner 
Honest question....do we sign PP last off-season without Zim as HC?  

IOW, if DB-whisperer Zim can't (purportedly) "coach the young-uns" up....at least he can attract them to sign.  Wink

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@MaroonBells said:
P2's been our best corner 
Honest question....do we sign PP last off-season without Zim as HC?  

IOW, if DB-whisperer Zim can't (purportedly) "coach the young-uns" up....at least he can attract them to sign.  Wink
No.