Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff Released
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive @Jor-El. You do recall that we were in the playoff hunt, correct? And our D was decimated due to injuries and FA, right?

I often wonder if many of you live in an alternate reality.
Alternate reality would have been where that team would have been considered a playoff contender.   Nobody could have believed last years team was going anywhere that actually watched them play.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive @Jor-El. You do recall that we were in the playoff hunt, correct? And our D was decimated due to injuries and FA, right?

Alternate reality would have been where that team would have been considered a playoff contender.   Nobody could have believed last years team was going anywhere that actually watched them play.
Well, actually, they were in the playoff race in week 16. So ooo...I'm not sure what to say. Were they going to win a SB? No. But you don't start a rebuild while you are still in the hunt.

An awful lot of my angst would get wiped away if they do some nice things in FA with these OL gaps...Does it make sense now to go after a Zeus Jr or someone of that ilk from a cap stand-point? That gives them the flex to take a DL earlier in the draft. I would love to see this team line-up with Brown and Roseau or Barmore on the roster come Sept. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Well, actually, they were in the playoff race in week 16. So ooo...I'm not sure what to say. Were they going to win a SB? No. But you don't start a rebuild while you are still in the hunt.
hunt for what though?  a worse draft pick?  they were going no where and the fact that they didnt work out some of their lineman at other spots and give some of the other reserves looks when opportunities presented themselves is a dumb way to build a roster.   when they shipped ngokue out they admitted they had no real shot at a successful season but they kept dicking around anyway and ended up with a shittier draft pick and no closer to finding answers to the questions that they are now faced with.   you dont have to completely take a knee to get some guys reps against pro talent in real situations.

I guess we’ll see when/if the Ravens let Ngakoue walk in free agency. I read that, like the Vikings, they found him to be a 1 trick pony speed pass rusher, who rarely generates pressures or plays the run. In fact the Ravens are now more interested in Carlos Dunlap...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

hunt for what though?  a worse draft pick?  they were going no where and the fact that they didnt work out some of their lineman at other spots and give some of the other reserves looks when opportunities presented themselves is a dumb way to build a roster.   when they shipped ngokue out they admitted they had no real shot at a successful season but they kept dicking around anyway and ended up with a shittier draft pick and no closer to finding answers to the questions that they are now faced with.   you dont have to completely take a knee to get some guys reps against pro talent in real situations.
Well Jimmy, again in my reply to Jor-el, I stated two facts: we were in the playoff race and our team was decimated by injuries and FA. He seemed they were mutually exclusive. They are not.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that the guys on the roster don't give a flying fuck about draft position. I'm pretty sure coaches aren't going to try to win less games for draft position. 

I'm pretty sure everyone plays to win the game. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Well Jimmy, again in my reply to Jor-el, I stated two facts: we were in the playoff race and our team was decimated by injuries and FA. He seemed they were mutually exclusive. They are not.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that the guys on the roster don't give a flying fuck about draft position. I'm pretty sure coaches aren't going to try to win less games for draft position. 

I'm pretty sure everyone plays to win the game. 
point is the team was going no where,  they shopped their big name before the deadline (should have been more shopped as well) and I dont give 2 shits about what Zimmer thinks in terms of one  year to the next, anybody that has watched the NFL for more than 5 minutes knew this team was going no where and with the future questions with cap and the inexperience at OL the smart play was to get some of those younger guys some experience at other positions,  WTF were they gonna do...lose?  they did enough of that with the guys they used.  pretty sure it would have been smart to get ONeill or Cleveland some reps at LT if that is part of a future plan.

Also pretty sure most fans dont give a flying fuck about one and done in the playoffs anymore,  we've seen enough of that in the last 40+ years to last a lifetime.  and honestly I dont give a flying fuck if the players or coaches care about next year,  maybe they should and we wouldnt be constantly stuck in this cycle of rarely good enough to be a contender, but rarely bad enough to get the players needed to become a contender.

@JimmyinSD well, the draft has proven time and again that picking high guarantees success. Take the Lions for example. Top ten pick nearly every year in the last 20, one playoff win since 1957. Or the Bengals,  or the WTFs.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
This might have made sense IF the Vikings had decided around week 12 that 2020 was a "mini rebuild" year and started trying out some alternatives. Slide O'Neill to LT for a while, and/or Cleveland for a few games. Give Udoh four starts at RT. Maybe even put Hinton into a couple games, or, hell, throw Samia back into the mix and see if he could work out his issues on the field - he could have a future here, while Dozier does not.

Then you release Reiff with some data on what the line should look like in 2021. As it is, we don't know if anyone else can play LT, and any rookie is a gamble.

"Bonus" - they could have rested some other starters, rather than risking Cousins or Cook. Jake Browning could have thrown a pass in the NFL to see if he can backup Cousins, Mike Boone could have had more reps. And if we drop the meaningless "win" at Detroit the last week, and turn one of those skin-of-the-teeth victories over Carolina or Jacksonville into a loss, this team would be picking 7th or 8th. In that position, they might actually have a shot at picking Christian Darrisaw if it turns out they need him. Or does anyone really think if he is an automatic NFL starter at LT he is going to slide to 19 or so?
Absolutely great take.  With the last game, the Vikes certainly have given the young players as much of a run as possible.  This is especially true as there was no preseason.  Practice (especially today's practice) cannot duplicate game speed and intensity.  I really think week 17 was a lost opportunity.  The year before, the Vikes gave Udoh some run, etc.  Totally idiotic not to turn week 17 into a preseason game.