Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings DE Danielle Hunter Liked Multiple Tweets About Being Traded
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Lee 19 said:
So Geoff, what could Vikings get in a deal for Hunter?
I think he said somewhere that it would start with a deal similar to what Oakland got for Mack which was 2 1sts, a 3rd, and a 6th.
I think they would shoot for two 1st round picks. But more likely its a 1st and 2nd or two 1sts with the Viking's sending a pick back in 2022 similar to the Mack deal. Regardless, they could get a lot of Hunter. But that's arguably why you probably shouldn't trade him, you can't replace him. 
I didn't think they could replace Diggs with 1 premium pick, but they did. 

I think they were incredibly lucky with Jefferson and should consider it a rare occurrence. But the team (FO or owners) could be overconfident after the Diggs-for-JJ swap.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Lee 19 said:
I think he said somewhere that it would start with a deal similar to what Oakland got for Mack which was 2 1sts, a 3rd, and a 6th.
I think they would shoot for two 1st round picks. But more likely its a 1st and 2nd or two 1sts with the Viking's sending a pick back in 2022 similar to the Mack deal. Regardless, they could get a lot of Hunter. But that's arguably why you probably shouldn't trade him, you can't replace him. 

I think they were incredibly lucky with Jefferson and should consider it a rare occurrence. But the team (FO or owners) could be overconfident after the Diggs-for-JJ swap.
They've been around far too long to think that. We all know the draft is a crapshoot--and NFL front offices know it times 10. What's interesting is that you're counseling against overconfidence in finding suitable 1st round replacements for two players that were taken in the 3rd and 5th rounds. But you're not wrong. 

Is there really such a thing a generational type player,  or just a matter of an exceptional player only getting in the right situation to succeed about every 10 years or so?  We think that Spielman does a great job of drafting,  but yet we doubt his ability to take a basket full of picks and find another top 5 type player at DE or other positions?

I was trying to think of any decent replacement out there in FA, but have only come up with Bud Dupree so far. He’d probably be a very good defensive end in our scheme and has the size and athletic ability one looks for. He’s always played in the 3-4, but the vast majority of that time was rushing the passer. 
I’m not sure what he’ll see in the open market with the reduced cap. I see Spotrac has him at $18 million a year, but we’d be talking about moving to a position that usually pays a little higher. 
I forgot to add he’s coming off a torn ACL and wonder what that will do to value. I know Zimmer had interest before.
How much different would his contract look compared to what Hunter wants?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
JJ Watt had surgery for a herniated disc in his back and has had no relapse.

The neck is different I suppose but if Sugarman signs off then that's all they need.

They better pay him now rather than wait for another double digit sack season that is for dang sure.

His cap hits the next 3 years are 17.75M, 17.75M, and 14.75M according to overthecap.

Give him a new 5 year 102.5M deal (adding two years really) with a 25M signing bonus.
He would get a 12M option bonus in 2023 spread over 3 years.
His salaries would be 7.75M, 7.75M, 10.5M, 19M, and 20.5M
His cap hits would be 17.75M, 17.75M, 21.5M, 28M, & 29.5M
He'll take home 32.5M in 2021, 7.75M in 2022, 22.5M in 2023, 19M in 2024, and 20.5M in 2025.

63M over the next 3 years is good.
They can include some incentives based on snaps played to bump it up some.

It puts him 300K average per year behind Frank Clark and 500K average per year behind Demarcus Lawrence.

That is pretty good and does not cost them any cap space the next two years.
It will basically cost them the 25M signing bonus.

They can do it if they want to.
Its a pipe dream if you think he will sign for $20M/yr. It will be $25M per season or slightly above on an extension. Myles Garrett's deal is the benchmark and after what happened on his most recent deal there is no way he is going to settle and have others pass him over again. You can still manage the cap hits on a $25M/yr deal but you're entering the Kirk vs. Danielle debate since you might not be able to carry both of them plus high priced RBs and LBs. 
I agree that at some point this could be a Danielle vs. Kirk debate. They should be able to keep both through the end of 2022, since whatever extension they give Hunter probably won't hit big until 2023. And Kirk has no money on the books in 2023 unless they extend him. That's when they will have to decide. So assuming they don't trade either one, they'll have two more years together to try to win a Super Bowl. 
Agreed. If they move on from Barr you could finagle keeping both. But then you're quickly approaching paying Dantzler/Gladney/Jefferson. Personally I would pay Hunter since an elite edge player fixes a lot of problems and he simply can change the entire game in a single play. But we'll see what they do. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Jor-El said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Lee 19 said:

They've been around far too long to think that. We all know the draft is a crapshoot--and NFL front offices know it times 10. What's interesting is that you're counseling against overconfidence in finding suitable 1st round replacements for two players that were taken in the 3rd and 5th rounds. But you're not wrong. 
Where a player got picked becomes irrelevant once they prove themselves in the league. Since the Pats picked Brady in round 6, would they have assumed they could replace him with another 6th? Or even a 1st? I know it's an extreme example, but same principle with Diggs and Hunter. Once a player proves he can excel in the NFL, his value is 5x any draft pick IMO.

And we could blow up any overconfidence in drafting by listing the 3 1st-round WRs picked by the Vikings in this decade. 

If he actually wants out, get every bit you can for him and wish him well on his way out the door.  If players don't want to be on the team, they easily become locker room cancers.

On the other hand, if it is a money/contract thing...I think getting a full medical update first is simple prudence.

This whole situation makes me laugh. Renegotiating a contract for a guy with 3 years left on his deal should be the least of their concerns heading into this season. If it's still an "issue" or "topic of discussion" after the season then negotiate something then or trade him for a good return.

Cant help but think that these situations remind me of the Mr. Deeds scene where they ask the player if he will play for less if he plays bad. Well, what happens if Danielle doesn't hit double digit sacks this year? 

I would like to see the league just go to 100% guaranteed contracts with an out for career ending injuries.  this is dumb as fuck that we are talking about a new deal for a guy that still has 6 million on the books from his last signing bonus.  or make the signing bonus not able to be prorated out past the year that the guaranteed money comes to an end since thats when the agent is going to be demanding a new deal and nobody thinks the previous one should be honored anyway.