Weeks 11-17
Post-Concussion Cam Dantzler:

6 games

15 rec. on 29 targets (2 PBU)

3 TO (2 INT, 1 FF)

0 TD

41.9 passer rating allowed

29.5 yards/game

No preseason and little pass rush. Stud.

Instead of Cam Dantzler, I've been calling him 'Damn, Dantzler!'.....

This is the kind of gold my wife gets on a daily basis. 

If we can add two more pieces to the DL from FA and early drafting PLUS Pierce and Hunter. Throw in the seasoning of Wonnum and Lynch

those young CBs, Dantzler and Gladney, maybe even Hughes will be studs in 2021. 

This defense with a 3T (Atkins) and DE (Phillips) addition could go from bottom 10 to top 10 quickly 

Yeah I'm very comfortable going into next season with Dantzler, Gladney, Hughes, and even Harrison Hand (who flashed a little) as our core group. 

And as mentioned, getting a legit pass rush only makes this group better

Dantzler was very good after the bye. Dantzler also got a ton of safety help.

Not trying to takeaway from his season, it was great. But he is not close to being a lockdown guy who can play on an island. He has to add some weight before that is the case. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

Not trying to takeaway from his season, it was great. But he is not close to being a lockdown guy who can play on an island. He has to add some weight before that is the case. 
I think our reliance on safeties helping our corners is a big reason why most are so down on our safeties,  they were not really allowed to be play makers as much as they were forced to be baby sitters.... but were still tasked with trying to do their own stuff.   I thought, down the stretch, Smith looked like he played 2 seasons this year from trying to be all over the field on every play.  all it really did was create other holes for the opposing offenses to expose.

Not trying to hydrate anyone's cheerios, but I'm in the camp that the production that Dantzler and Gladney had was at the cost of Smith and Harris seasons.  Our pass defense was scuttled by the lack of DL play.  Till we get that pass rush fixed, we are going to be picked apart and any success will be from playing from behind. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

I hurt watching him play...That's one courageous MF'er going out there and playing tackle football with his stature. He looks like a nice chess piece to have though. If they can continue to right the D ship along the DL? They might bounce-back quick and Dantzler could play a key role. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I hurt watching him play...That's one courageous MF'er going out there and playing tackle football with his stature. He looks like a nice chess piece to have though. If they can continue to right the D ship along the DL? They might bounce-back quick and Dantzler could play a key role. 
If the Vikings can fix the defensive line the entire defense will be so much better. Like a night & day transformation. D-line play helps you in so many different ways against the pass.  

Just to emphasize it the top 5 pass defenses in the NFL last season were: 

1. Steelers - Finished 1st in QB pressure rate
2. Rams - Finished 3rd in QB pressure rate
3. Washington FT -  Finished 5th in QB pressure rate
4. Saints - Finished 7th in QB pressure rate
5. Bills - Finished 6th in QB pressure rate 

It not always true but you can basically conclude that if you can pressure consistently or at least 2/3 better than the rest of the league you have a pretty good shot of being a top 10 or better secondary. You still need solid performers in the secondary but its not like you need to be loaded with lockdown corners and ball-hawking safeties. 

I would even go so far to say that based on how the league is setup & officiated today if you had the best secondary talent in the league you still wouldn't be an above average pass defense without a decent D-line. Now you can also see why pass blocking is so important! 

Kudos to Dantzler on his rookie season. That image of him going off on a stretcher is still in my mind. Hoping he continues the upward trajectory.