Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After nearly quitting football, Kyle Sloter sees future with Vikings
Kyle Sloter had a job offer last January from Ashford Advisors in his hometown of Atlanta and was ready to enter the world of finance.
Sloter had played just one season as a college quarterback, and NFL scouts weren’t exactly gushing about his future. So, even after throwing for 29 touchdowns and 2,656 yards in 2016 for Northern Colorado, Sloter was prepared to move on from football.
“I figured I was going to be a financial adviser,’’ Sloter told the Pioneer Press. “In my mind, I’m thinking, NFL teams aren’t going to be interested in a guy with only 10 college starts at quarterback.”
Sloter said Ashford Advisors officials encouraged him to “chase your dream.” Good advice.
Sloter agreed to terms Sunday and was signed Monday to the Vikings’ practice squad after they won a bidding war with Atlanta, Philadelphia, Washington and Denver. The Vikings will pay him $20,000 a week, nearly three times the practice-squad minimum of $7,200, and he will practice behind starter Sam Bradford and backup Case Keenum.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/04/vik...-football/

“(The Vikings) told me they weren’t focusing their efforts on any other quarterback,” said Sloter, who will wear No. 1. “They came after me hard for two days. They put their money where their mouth was, and that meant a lot to me.”
The Vikings have questions at quarterback. Bradford, Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater all could be free agents after the season, and Bridgewater, who had been the starter until suffering a catastrophic knee injury Aug. 30, 2016, is on the physically unable to perform list.
Sloter provides the Vikings with a young quarterback they can develop.
“I just felt like this is a place where I could really fit in,” Sloter said. “I’d be lying if I said my goal isn’t to be on the active roster, but that is something that’s down the road.”
In the meantime, Sloter looked back in amazement at how far he has come since he was ready last January to become a financial adviser.
“It’s been a pretty interesting ride, and I’m just blessed to be here,” he said.

That's very cool. He is smart and ambitious. Either way, he is going to do well.