Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's My Byline?

Considering the potential issues with Hunter,   DE really is just as big of a need as DT and OG and if you look at it from a financial standpoint a stud  DE on a rookie deal saves more than either of the other 2 positions when it comes to finding quality help in FA.  

Check is in the mail! Seriously. What's the check number, you say? Ummmm....5.....1.....9er......

Rousseau is a little bit of a gamble on greatness, but if we do pick him at 14, then it will because Andre saw something he liked and he's been pretty good at that.

The other Miami guy, Jaelen Phillips, is interesting. 5-star recruit, unbelievable movement skills, but retired from football at one point because of concussions. This one will depend on scouting intel. On tape he's best edge rusher in this class but the concussion history will scare a lot of teams. He could go top 15. He could also go undrafted. 

First, IMO it's a pipe dream to imagine Rousseau sliding to 14. Every team wants to improve their pass rush and it's unlikely any DE except Kwity Paye goes before Rousseau. Rousseau probably fits in more defensive alignments.

Second...Spielman is good at picking DEs in the mid rounds and the Vikings staff is good at developing them. Put it this way: which of the following statements are you more confident in?
1. The Vikings can wait to pick an OG in round 3 or 4 and expect to get a starter.
2. The Vikings can wait to pick a DE in round 3 or 4 and expect to get a starter.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
First, IMO it's a pipe dream to imagine Rousseau sliding to 14. Every team wants to improve their pass rush and it's unlikely any DE except Kwity Paye goes before Rousseau. Rousseau probably fits in more defensive alignments.

Second...Spielman is good at picking DEs in the mid rounds and the Vikings staff is good at developing them. Put it this way: which of the following statements are you more confident in?
1. The Vikings can wait to pick an OG in round 3 or 4 and expect to get a starter.
2. The Vikings can wait to pick a DE in round 3 or 4 and expect to get a starter.
Having just one season on film and getting most of his pressure inside against IOLs whose arms are probably a good 4 inches shorter than his, Rousseau is far from a sure thing. And there are plenty of analysts who see him dropping into the 20s. so it's not a pipe dream to think he could be available at 14.

What's more, I was just about to say that at least this article didn't use that bullshit line about how the Vikings "prefer" to get their edges from the middle rounds and develop them. Yes, they've been able to do that with both Hunter and Griffen, but that doesn't mean it's any kind of MO. If the right guy is there in the 1st, they won't wait. What's more, they've already got that middle round guy in Wonnum.

I agree that, historically, the Vikings have done better with middle round DLs than middle round OLs, but I don't think that should dictate where we go at 14. Just take the best player available among our needs. 

@MaroonBells Couldn't have said it better myself. And honestly, is there a higher form of praise one could ever hope to receive?

Wink

I love the tools Rousseau brings to the table, he certainly could be off the board by pick 14. But, I also agree that this draft class is deeper with ED and OL than DT.

I'm sold on Barmore...one reason is because the depth at DT seems to be top heavy (first 2 rounds). I need more time to look at few 3rd or 4th round DT.

Lot to get excited about with Rousseau!!! We need to pressure the QB in 2021.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Considering the potential issues with Hunter,   DE really is just as big of a need as DT and OG and if you look at it from a financial standpoint a stud  DE on a rookie deal saves more than either of the other 2 positions when it comes to finding quality help in FA.  

I don't think there will be any issues with Hunter.  If you follow his social media the guy is working out like a beast and looks like a beast as always. I fully expect him to be a full go and wreck havoc again next season. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Rousseau is a little bit of a gamble on greatness, but if we do pick him at 14, then it will because Andre saw something he liked and he's been pretty good at that.

The other Miami guy, Jaelen Phillips, is interesting. 5-star recruit, unbelievable movement skills, but retired from football at one point because of concussions. This one will depend on scouting intel. On tape he's best edge rusher in this class but the concussion history will scare a lot of teams. He could go top 15. He could also go undrafted. 

Yup I'm all over Jaelen Phillips and have him as my number 1 DE in this draft.  He jumps out on tape.  Length, burst, motor, and his pass rush skills and ability to bend for a big guy is impressive.  The medical is going to be the big thing with him, but I've been saying for a while that he fits the Zimmer profile in what he wants out of the position perfectly. 

Just my take on Rousseau is that he uses his length well and beats guys when he is kicked inside on pass rushing downs.  It's impressive for a guy that tall to convert that size into power.  But as far as being an end who can win the "arc" consistently I just don't see it.  I'm going to be very curious to see his Pro Day numbers and speaking of which it's going to be very interesting to see Rousseau, Phillips, and another interesting DE prospect Quincy Roche all go head to head with each other