Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Practice Squad Players Count As Being On The Roster?
Leaving it up to the "impartial" jury of his peers.
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?

[Image: rnjerba2iv57.jpeg]

[Image: pub40v11deyk.jpeg]

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote: @Kentis said:
[Image: rnjerba2iv57.jpeg]
Damn....I looked everywhere for that one. 

What do you mean by "count as part of an NFL Roster"?

Can they tell their friends and family they are on a roster?  Sure.

They don't count against the 53 and their time on the PS doesn't count as time on a roster.

I wouldn't bet against MB when it comes to football.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Wait...where's the 3rd option? 

"I am him and while he would not be publicly humiliated by wearing a tutu on Nicollet, he was right that Dozier would not make the opening day roster. He's a really smart guy."

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Wait...where's the 3rd option? 

"I am him and while he would not be publicly humiliated by wearing a tutu on Nicollet, he was right that Dozier would not make the opening day roster. He's a really smart guy."
you will be allowed to speak on your own behalf at your sentencing.

I have no horse in this race but I think it is clear being on the practice squad does not mean one is on the NFL roster.  This is from ESPN last year and I think it is instructive:

Quote:"New CBA rule: Additionally, according to the new CBA, a team can carry up to 55 players on its roster during the week -- up from 53 in past years -- by elevating one or two players from its practice squad before 4 p.m. ET on the day before that team's game. This will allow teams a larger pool from which to select their 47 or 48 game-day active players. Any player elevated from the practice squad for this purpose will immediately revert to his team's practice squad on the day after the game.
No player may be activated under this rule for more than two games per season, either regular-season or postseason games. If a player has already been elevated twice under this rule, and the team wants to add him to the roster, it must terminate his practice-squad contract and sign him to an NFL contract, as has been the case with practice-squad players in years past."
Frankly, I think the key sentence is "If a player has already been elevated twice under this rule, and the team wants to add him to the roster, it must terminate his practice-squad contract and sign him to an NFL contract, as has been the case with practice-squad players in years past."  Different contracts, different status.

Just spent 15 minutes researching this so I can avoid my actual work.

For the record as well, Dozier has 8 years of experience and was among the veterans released, not among the younger players waived.  At least that is the difference I see, all the released have over 5 years experience, the waived are under 5.