Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
Why can GB have a great pass-blocking OL and Aaron Rogers both? I'll bet many teams with really good QB's, who are paid well dont have poor OL's. 

KC's contract now puts him at what? #12 among starting QB's? I dont buy into the narrative you cant have a good Ol (team) because Cousins contract handicaps everything.

All that said, I would love to see the team acquire a young, smart gun with mobility this draft. 
Because our LT is overpaid and not very good and because our guards have been a shitshow since Hutchinson left. For some reason this team is cursed with OL. We also like to overpay guys who have been here for a long time instead of being more focused on paying guys that help us win (Barr and Rudolph).
over paid and not very good?  he was the best OL we had this year, easily top 10 LT,  and his pay was ranked mid pack for LTs at 15th in the league.   He is set to make more,  but still only the 11th highest contract for a LT for next year and based off of his performance this year,  well in line with his performance.
After he was forced to restructure his contract yes. For many years he was well overpaid for his production. I would not say he was better than O'Neill but that's my opinion. Either way, the OL was a complete joke again this year and it hurt us...not as much as the many holes on defense, but hurt us
fix the interior 3 positions and see what our OTs look like then.  and yes I say 3,  Bradbury is starting to remind me of Elf the way he gets shoved back in pass protection, and is unable to move DTs in short yardage situations.

for the record,  Cousins was also forced to restructure as well,  seems to me that has become quite common place, i wouldnt be surprised to see Reiff extended actually this offseason to lower his cap hit this year by a few million and give him guaranteed money for another year or two.
I bagged on Bradbury for his lack of power and was worried about drafting him for that reason alone. With that said I actually thought he took some real steps in the right directions this season. He was a functional pass blocker and still an above average run blocker. I'm more excited about his development now than I was after last season. I think Bradbury is the long-term center. 
Well, I trust your judgement on him more than my own.

I figured he was still not as big an asset as O'Neil, but not quite the liability that Dozier is...I had my doubts still. 

I wont be happy till we can move that Chicago interior DL around some one day. 

Part of it is looking at the traits and then projecting the sum of the parts. I'm pretty confident Bradbury will still get to being at least an above-average starter at center. I don't think he's a pro-bowl guy, but he's the kind of guy you can extend and pencil in for the indefinite future. Compared to O'Neill I think Brian came on faster but in the end they're kind of the same tier of player. Both very solid but not necessarily top 5-10 in their positional groups. 
I think my biggest frustration is expect probowls from first round draft picks and I dont see that coming from GB.  I think we needed to see more return from a mid first rounder.  I'm hoping we see some more growth after hopefully what amounts to a full offseason program. 

Quote: @
I think my biggest frustration is expect probowls from first round draft picks and I dont see that coming from GB.  I think we needed to see more return from a mid first rounder.  I'm hoping we see some more growth after hopefully what amounts to a full offseason program. 
The 2nd overall Olineman taken off the board  in the 1st round of the  draft should be a stud after 2 years, not a project player showing signs of improving IMHO.

That sounds harsh but thats the expectation.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
Why can GB have a great pass-blocking OL and Aaron Rogers both? I'll bet many teams with really good QB's, who are paid well dont have poor OL's. 

KC's contract now puts him at what? #12 among starting QB's? I dont buy into the narrative you cant have a good Ol (team) because Cousins contract handicaps everything.

All that said, I would love to see the team acquire a young, smart gun with mobility this draft. 
Because our LT is overpaid and not very good and because our guards have been a shitshow since Hutchinson left. For some reason this team is cursed with OL. We also like to overpay guys who have been here for a long time instead of being more focused on paying guys that help us win (Barr and Rudolph).
over paid and not very good?  he was the best OL we had this year, easily top 10 LT,  and his pay was ranked mid pack for LTs at 15th in the league.   He is set to make more,  but still only the 11th highest contract for a LT for next year and based off of his performance this year,  well in line with his performance.
After he was forced to restructure his contract yes. For many years he was well overpaid for his production. I would not say he was better than O'Neill but that's my opinion. Either way, the OL was a complete joke again this year and it hurt us...not as much as the many holes on defense, but hurt us
fix the interior 3 positions and see what our OTs look like then.  and yes I say 3,  Bradbury is starting to remind me of Elf the way he gets shoved back in pass protection, and is unable to move DTs in short yardage situations.

for the record,  Cousins was also forced to restructure as well,  seems to me that has become quite common place, i wouldnt be surprised to see Reiff extended actually this offseason to lower his cap hit this year by a few million and give him guaranteed money for another year or two.
I bagged on Bradbury for his lack of power and was worried about drafting him for that reason alone. With that said I actually thought he took some real steps in the right directions this season. He was a functional pass blocker and still an above average run blocker. I'm more excited about his development now than I was after last season. I think Bradbury is the long-term center. 
Yeah, there's little doubt in my mind that he's on a very promising trajectory. He's already one of the best run blocking centers in the NFL. His pass blocking improved over the course of last year, then started out great this year. He sort of fell off as the season wore on though. Hopefully he puts it all together in season three. He just can't miss any leg days. 

Bradbury will get a whole lot better if they can upgrade his left guard. Although that has been a problem for a decade post Hutch.