Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any 3T, OL or S worthy of #14???
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@ MB....Pass me that pipe my friend

Restructuring all 3? Harry Barr and Thielen???
You think that's kicking too much bonus down the road? Yeah, it is, but NFL teams are going to be restructuring the **** out of their teams this offseason knowing that the cap will likely go back to normal in '22. 

Or do you think the players won't go for it? Because it's not about that. I'm not talking pay cuts. Players don't even have to be told about it if all you're doing is converting salary to bonus. Harry, for example, has zero dead money and zero bonus money on his current contract, so there's a lot of flexibility with him. You could cut him and save a ton of money, but he's the only starting safety on the roster, so it makes some sense to convert him, as long as you think he's going to play a couple more years. And he doesn't seem to be slowing down. Much. 

But....then...you should know that I know as much about the cap as Robby B has forgotten in the time it took me to smoke my bowl and write this. :-)
I'm far from cap expert myself...Not sure I'm buying into the religion of this massive restructuring across the NFL landscape this off-season. 

Rationale? I think the extended schedule and increased $$$ from that will keep teams from having to do crazy s hit over one year. 

Yeah, there have been rumors that the cap won't be as low as some are expecting. That remains to be seen. But if the extended schedule bumps up the salary cap in '21, then that's even better. Same scenario without the restructures and more money to spend on Rankins and Taylor, or a Hunter re-do.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@ MB....Pass me that pipe my friend

Restructuring all 3? Harry Barr and Thielen???
You think that's kicking too much bonus down the road? Yeah, it is, but NFL teams are going to be restructuring the **** out of their teams this offseason knowing that the cap will likely go back to normal in '22. 

Or do you think the players won't go for it? Because it's not about that. I'm not talking pay cuts. Players don't even have to be told about it if all you're doing is converting salary to bonus. Harry, for example, has zero dead money and zero bonus money on his current contract, so there's a lot of flexibility with him. You could cut him and save a ton of money, but he's the only starting safety on the roster, so it makes some sense to convert him, as long as you think he's going to play a couple more years. And he doesn't seem to be slowing down. Much. 

But....then...you should know that I know as much about the cap as Robby B has forgotten in the time it took me to smoke my bowl and write this. :-)
I'm far from cap expert myself...Not sure I'm buying into the religion of this massive restructuring across the NFL landscape this off-season. 

Rationale? I think the extended schedule and increased $$$ from that will keep teams from having to do crazy s hit over one year. 

Yeah, there have been rumors that the cap won't be as low as some are expecting. That remains to be seen. But if the extended schedule bumps up the salary cap in '21, then that's even better. Same scenario without the restructures and more money to spend on Rankins and Taylor, or a Hunter re-do.  
I don't disagree that there will be plenty of restructures league-wide. But I don't think its going to be nearly as drastic as many think. Its kicking the can down the road to higher cap years, but you still need the full cash amount now. Coming off a pandemic ridden season the tone is that some teams are simply not going to have the cash to restructure deals & play in FA since all guarantees are immediately escrowed. So on paper its an easy solution but we don't necessarily know how the Vikings are going to handle that. 

If they restructure Harry, Barr, and Thielen the combined cash out the door is going to be in excess of $30M. 

Not trying to take away from your idea, since its a good idea to open up cap space in 2021. Just warning that it may not be viable. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike it might be a matter of health as well. Regardless, it's a Charmin soft class and if you want to fix the issue at 3T, we are going to get a guy with some warts...
If it was some tweak that healed up in time for the playoffs, great.  I hope that's all it was. But I agree this does not appear to be a stellar DL draft class.  To add to the general draft uncertainty this year, some draft eligible players opted out, so you need to rely on year-old game film, some who played had reduced game schedules, so there is a smaller sample size to go on, and who knows whether there will even be a combine this year?  

SO maybe this year, when in doubt go: Alabama; then SEC; then ACC (+ ND); OSU; ...