Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins under pressure
Want to know why the journeyman Case Keenum was more successful when it came to wins, the only stat that has meaning, than Cousins?
Because Case could deal with the pressure. Case had a terrible line, but he had Houdini like ability to escape pressure and make something happen when things broke down.
Who else has that?
Oh yeah, Patrick Mahomes, Arron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson.
Cousins is slow to make a decision. He holds the ball and it frustrates his wide receivers. He takes the check down instead of taking the risk. Ever watch him roll out to his right to escape pressure? It takes him forever to just throw the ball away.
Tom Brady was a guy who wasn't great at making plays off script, but didn't have to be. He had the best line in football for a long time and also the ability to get the ball out quickly, if needed.
If Cousins ever has a chance to win a superbowl, he needs a great offensive line. That's the only way it could happen.
So, if they keep him, they better get a better line.
But even if they do, I don't see the defense being able to hold up it's end of the bargain anytime soon.

As for those that want Darnold, would he do any better behind this offensive line?

I think the time is now for a rebuild! There are some good young players here worth building around.

And I don't really see the current GM and coaching staff as a great foundation for a rebuild, unless we fans want more of the same!

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
Just going to say it now so everyone can enjoy Christmas....Kirk will be traded to SF in the offseason. There ya go!
I would really like that not because I think Cousins isn't good enough but his contract is too burdensome the next two years.  The third day of 2021 he is guaranteed his 2021 and 2022 salary which would be 31 in 21 and 45 in 2022!  A trade would free up a ton of money to address other needs.  I wonder what we could get for a Cousins trade does anyone have an educated guess?  The 49'ers are projected to have the 12th pick next year as of now.  I am not sure we can get a first for him with that contract?

Also this looks to be a pretty loaded QB draft and I want us in on that even if Cousins is not traded.    

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
Want to know why the journeyman Case Keenum was more successful when it came to wins, the only stat that has meaning, than Cousins?
Because Case could deal with the pressure. Case had a terrible line, but he had Houdini like ability to escape pressure and make something happen when things broke down.
Who else has that?
Oh yeah, Patrick Mahomes, Arron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson.
Cousins is slow to make a decision. He holds the ball and it frustrates his wide receivers. He takes the check down instead of taking the risk. Ever watch him roll out to his right to escape pressure? It takes him forever to just throw the ball away.
Tom Brady was a guy who wasn't great at making plays off script, but didn't have to be. He had the best line in football for a long time and also the ability to get the ball out quickly, if needed.
If Cousins ever has a chance to win a superbowl, he needs a great offensive line. That's the only way it could happen.
So, if they keep him, they better get a better line.
But even if they do, I don't see the defense being able to hold up it's end of the bargain anytime soon.

As for those that want Darnold, would he do any better behind this offensive line?

I think the time is now for a rebuild! There are some good young players here worth building around.

And I don't really see the current GM and coaching staff as a great foundation for a rebuild, unless we fans want more of the same!
I agree, with this QB class coming out, I think now is the time to move aggressively.  We should be in draft range for getting one of the top QB's or within range of a trade-up if needed.  

If we could unload Cousin's contract in a trade to the 49'ers (mentioned above) that would be ideal to start a new at QB.  We have a really good core of young players and rebuild could be similar to what the Chiefs and Bills have done in 2 years.  So the word rebuild is really only a 2 year process if, big if, we get the right QB like Mahomes and Allen.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@Kentis said:
He just keeps on tap, tapping the ball all too often, when he should either get rid of it, bail, or move around within the pocket... he needs to speed up his internal clock it seems.
But this far into his career, what is the likelihood of that happening?
@Kentis said:
He just keeps on tap, tapping the ball all too often, when he should either get rid of it, bail, or move around within the pocket... he needs to speed up his internal clock it seems.
Wow!  Does he hold the ball too long sometimes?  Sure, maybe but i have also heard plenty of people complaining about checkdowns for years.  The common denominator is this horseshit offensive line.  Bradbury was getting blown 4 or 5 yards back right into the QB.  It’s fucking horrible and especially on passing downs, they can provide about zero protection. Sure, he has flaws but Cousins takes a beating all season long.  

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@Vikergirl said:
@Kentis said:
@Kentis said:
Wow!  Does he hold the ball too long sometimes?  Sure, maybe but i have also heard plenty of people complaining about checkdowns for years.  The common denominator is this horseshit offensive line.  Bradbury was getting blown 4 or 5 yards back right into the QB.  It’s fucking horrible and especially on passing downs, they can provide about zero protection. Sure, he has flaws but Cousins takes a beating all season long.  
He is easy to rush,  which makes it harder yet on the OL,  he doesn't move in the pocket often and its a lot easier for DL to attack a spot rather than a moving target.  He doesn't need to be the second coming of Fran in terms of scrambling ability,  even just some subtle slide steps in the pocket could help his OL and hinder the rush.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@Vikergirl said:
@Kentis said:
@Kentis said:
He is easy to rush,  which makes it harder yet on the OL,  he doesn't move in the pocket often and its a lot easier for DL to attack a spot rather than a moving target.  He doesn't need to be the second coming of Fran in terms of scrambling ability,  even just some subtle slide steps in the pocket could help his OL and hinder the rush.
Cousins does a great job of standing tall in the pocket and firing dimes under pressure and then getting slammed. The same fans that slam his lack of mobility rarely talk about how accurate the guy is under pressure. What's going to happen is once the guy is gone, then some fan will realize what they had: a very accurate QB that didn't get injured and was tough in the pocket. He has his flaws for sure, but lets also talk about his strengths.

I just think its wrong to lay so much blame at his feet.  He’s good, and will pick you apart given any time.  If the plan is to draft a more mobile QB then fine, but with that we still need accuracy and toughness.  The offensive line’s inability to pass protect is a god-damned joke, and has been during Spielman’s entire tenure.  I honestly dont think they even know how to evaluate the offensive line.

@Purplewhizz said:
@Vikergirl said:
@Kentis said:
@Kentis said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@Vikergirl said:
@Kentis said:
@Kentis said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@Vikergirl said:
@Kentis said:
@Kentis said:
He is easy to rush,  which makes it harder yet on the OL,  he doesn't move in the pocket often and its a lot easier for DL to attack a spot rather than a moving target.  He doesn't need to be the second coming of Fran in terms of scrambling ability,  even just some subtle slide steps in the pocket could help his OL and hinder the rush. Sure sometimes, but when the defensive line is pushing Bradbury and Dozier 4 or 5 yards back within 2 seconds, there arent many places to go.  

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@Vikergirl said:
@Kentis said:
@Kentis said:
Look, I think we’re well aware of our OL deficiencies, especially on the interior,
but Cousins should be too. He’s in his tenth year, I know he’s tough & accurate et al,
but he can’t expect to stand in there w/ no pressure for 2.5 or more seconds. Certainly there are way too many plays where he has no chance at all, & that’s on the team builders, including the GM & the coaches. Repeatedly thinking our OL will be good enough, year after year, feels like Groundhog Day for Vikings fans... 

In my opinion, laying any of this at the feet of Cousins is absolutely absurd. The guy takes a beating and still hits strike after strike all game long. The pressure is relentless and I can’t think of any other top tier QB facing the type of pressure he does. 
As for running out of the pocket, most of the time it begs the question, where? Seriously, watch the games. There’s nowhere to go because the line collapses all around him. It seems like fans think it’s as easy as running through a small gap, but the reality is he gets grabbed because there simply isn’t space. Often, his only choice is to wait for someone to uncover while trying to maintain control of the ball.

This is the weakest offensive line I’ve ever witnessed on any team. It’s absolutely baffling how easy it is to knock all of them back as fast as the QB can do his drop. It’s like watching a college line against elite NFL defensive lines every week. This problem is evident on the defensive line as well and is a major concern I have for the team in general. 
These guys are not strong. Why? What the hell kind of strength training do they have these guys doing? How is it possible that so many players are not functionally strong? To me, it appears they are not operating an appropriate strength training regimen. Something is limiting these guys in my opinion. Has there been new trainers the past year or two? 
Cousins is a good QB and we are lucky as hell to have him. Especially this coming year though, he has to help the team with his contract. If I’m going to jump the guy, that’s the one area I see as legitimately a serious issue for the team. That is the sole reason I see for a trade making sense. It will be a super rough road if we go that route. In my opinion though, it’s the strength that’s the biggest issue for both lines.