Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Jefferson best rookie WRer since 1985?
Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Yeah, I'm sorry but Odell had the best rookie WR season that I have ever seen. 1,300 yards and 12tds in 12 games is just silly.

Did you miss Randy Moss?  Moss had 7 more yards at 1313.  Had 4.7 more yards per reception and 5 more touchdowns. 

The only reason Beckham is even close is he 22 more receptions. 

Moss changed the NFL from a run first game into a pass often and further that we see today.  Had Moss had half the heart Jerry Rice had he would have broke ever NFL receiving record there was to break. 
Yep Moss could have been the best ever no doubt.  He was too chill smoking the ganja.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Yeah, I'm sorry but Odell had the best rookie WR season that I have ever seen. 1,300 yards and 12tds in 12 games is just silly.

Did you miss Randy Moss?  Moss had 7 more yards at 1313.  Had 4.7 more yards per reception and 5 more touchdowns. 

The only reason Beckham is even close is he 22 more receptions. 

Moss changed the NFL from a run first game into a pass often and further that we see today.  Had Moss had half the heart Jerry Rice had he would have broke ever NFL receiving record there was to break. 
Yes, Moss had 8 more yards in 4 extra games played. Taking averages into account and Odell would have had 1600 yards and 16 TDs, not to mention he owns the record of most 100 yard games in a rookie season. As a Vikings fan that Moss rookie year was great because the team also was great, but Odell was filthy...especially as he had the greatest catch that I have ever seen (Dallas game).

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
aaah,  I found the problem. --->   ESPN
Except this wasn't ESPN, it was just picked up by them and placed behind their paywall. Greedy bastards. It was written by Aaron Schatz, the guy who started Football Outsiders, inventor of DVOA, almost a genius, and, as it happens, a friend of a friend. 

Sounds pretty crazy to me to think of JJ as the best rookie WR since 1985, but if Aaron is throwing it out there, you can believe there is good data behind it. 

We’ll see what the rest of the season holds for JJ. He may not be the absolute best since 1985 (I was a sophomore in high school that year...yikes) but when the season is finished he should be right up there among the best....which, if you’re a Vikings fan, is pretty damn exciting.