Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid-19 Vax
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
My daughter is an RN and dealing directly with covid patients,  she is also currently dealing with covid herself,  she was informed by the doh that she will still be given a vaccine very soon despite her having natural antibodies but also told that doe to anticipated production shortages that the general population should not expect to see a dose until about this time next year.  They will start with Frontline workers,  then to the elderly and those with underlying health conditions ( think about the obesity problem) and finally they hope to get onto the rest.

But with those that refuse the vaccine this could end up dragging out some time in terms of outbreaks. 
Regarding that, I went to the dentist today and, like the eye doctor I went to last week, and my daughter's orthodontist the week before, and pretty much every health-related practice, it made me wonder if proof of vaccination might not become part of the screening procedure. Might seem draconian, but it might also provide necessary incentive for the anti-vaxxers. 
I dont see that as necessary,   with at least 3 optional vaccines currently in the loop and countless more in the pipeline there shouldn't be any that can't get the vaccine that want it leaving only those that refuse it in the at risk group within a year so if they choose to forgo the vaccine its their ass so imo no need for branding those that choose not to get it.. 

[Image: 4dec2_vaccination-card.jpg?la=en&hash=38...BDBF7882DB]

As long as there is a low zeitgeist for the greater good and public health measures, having to show proof is going to alienate a good portion of the country.  Which I have mixed feelings about, I am in a low priority group, so the more anti-vaxxers the fewer in line ahead of me.  But that creates cognitive dissonance with my concern for the welfare of America, perhaps no one is innocent and they deserve the fruits of their free will, and why should I feel concern for them.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:
What a world we live in where we have to show the dumbshits that its ok to take something or they'll believe what they read on Facebook. 
This administration has done so much damage in regard to utilizing science and medical professionals. The lack of a plan put us behind. The attempts to undermine science and the seriousness of the situation has produced so much propaganda, sabotage and stupidity. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
What a world we live in where we have to show the dumbshits that its ok to take something or they'll believe what they read on Facebook. 
Do you trust govt officials,  and an industry that has shown countless times to care more about profit than patients (big pharma), to have your best interest at heart over rushing something to market to make a buck or win an election?   I sure as hell dont.   That doesnt mean I have made a decision on whether to take their vaccine or not,  but I am certainly not going to give them my arm simply because some politicians say its ok.  The way I see it,  being of relatively good health and middle aged,  I have about a year to look at what they are pushing out there and for there to be some real studies completed on short term effects from the options.  Its the frontline people I am nervous for,  they dont have the window and like my daughter was told,  despite having natural antibodies she "WILL" be getting a dose when they become available.

Jimmy,

Glad your daughter is about to get this - all health care workers for that matter.

I suspect you'll be phase 3 given your age etc...Probably looking @ Q3 21. I'm not too concerned for adults w/out conditions taking this, its the kids where they have a lot more work to do. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Jimmy,

Glad your daughter is about to get this - all health care workers for that matter.

I suspect you'll be phase 3 given your age etc...Probably looking @ Q3 21. I'm not too concerned for adults w/out conditions taking this, its the kids where they have a lot more work to do. 

her getting it makes about zero sense right now since she is about as immune to this naturally as anybody can be and the re-infection rate is so so so low.   IMO they would be better off using these health care workers that have already had it as test subjects to monitor natural antibody levels and the fall off vs those that hadnt tested positive who get the shot and how quickly their antibody levels taper off.

First Britons receive Covid-19 vaccine, a landmark moment in the pandemic
Cardiff, Wales (CNN) — The United Kingdom has become the world's first nation to begin vaccinating its citizens with a fully vetted and authorized Covid-19 shot, a landmark moment in the coronavirus pandemic
The first Briton to get the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine -- 90-year-old Margaret Keenan -- received the first of two doses at 6:31 a.m. local time on Tuesday at University Hospital in Coventry, less than a week after the UK became the first country to approve it.Keenan, who turns 91 next week, said she felt "privileged" to be the first to get the shot. 
"It's the best early birthday present I could wish for because it means I can finally look forward to spending time with my family and friends in the New Year after being on my own for most of the year," she said, according to a statement released by the UK's National Health Service (NHS).
Content by GE Healthcare
How the global pandemic is provoking medical innovation
Providing COVID-19 ICU patients with essential care risks viral transmission from shared medical technology – here’s one solution.
Keenan told UK media the shot was "fine, I wasn't nervous at all," calling it "wonderful, really."
"This is for a good cause so I'm so pleased I had it done. This is a terrible, terrible disease so we do want rid of it," she added.
Keenan advised others eligible for the vaccine to take up the offer: "I would say go for it," she said. "If I can do it, well, so can you."
May Parsons, the nurse who administered the first jab, said she was honored to be involved in the program. 
"The last few months have been tough for all of us working in the NHS, but now it feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel," said Parsons, who is originally from the Philippines and has worked in the NHS for 24 years.
William Shakespere, 81, known to friends as Bill, was the second person to get a Covid-19 vaccine at the Coventry hospital on Tuesday. Shakespere, a patient on the hospital's frailty ward, sat with his grandchildren's artwork nearby as he received the jab. 
Nurse Joanna Sloan was the first person in Northern Ireland to receive the vaccine, while George Dyer became one of the first people in London to get the shot at Croydon Health Services.
"Covid-19 is a terrible thing and I feel very lucky that I can now get this vaccine to keep the virus away," said Dyer, a former butcher and hospital volunteer. "It's like I'm about to be given a new lease of life, and I cannot wait to get back out there and make myself useful again."
Gill Rogers, whose husband died with the virus in residential care in April, was among the first to receive the vaccine in Sussex, in southeast England, on Tuesday.
The 86-year-old, who lives near Brighton, told the BBC it had been "quite hard" dealing with grief as well as isolation and that being given the shot meant she would not need to be so careful.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/08/europe/uk...index.html

[Image: 201213094503-11-pfizer-vaccine-distribut...-tease.jpg]

Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine can now be administered in the US, CDC director says
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield has accepted the recommendation of the agency’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices that Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine may be given to people ages 16 and older. 
This means that shots can now be administered in the United States.
On Saturday: ACIP committee members voted in favor of the recommendation, and to add the vaccine to the CDC’s immunization schedule.
On Friday, the US Food and Drug Administration granted an emergency use authorization for Pfizer and BioNTech's Covid-19 vaccine.
Pfizer began shipping its vaccine on Sunday, with first shots in arms expected Monday morning.