Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Trey Lance be there when Minnesota picks?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Am I the only one who has seen Wentz play recently? He makes some of the most boneheaded throws I can recall. He's a human turnover.
Goff has had his share, too. It seems like most of these guys come out with loads of talent and upside, play fairly well their first season or two, and then fall back down to earth. Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota. Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky.

God, do we even want to get on that train?  

0 chance if we don't try (shrug)

Lances 1 showing this year.  Every Run and Pass of his.  Certainly some things to like,  and a lot of things for concern.  reminds me of Newton coming out,  big arm,  strong runner,  hard to take down,  but there were just parts of his game that didnt look right.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells I'm with you on Fields. How hard is it to be a QB in Columbus with the plethora of talent around you? But...

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jus...-state-qbs
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Fields will be a bust. Just saying that, right now, it's all lollipops and sunshine with these guys. But it's not even December. Once the microscopes come out, a lot will change. 

I just remember dozens of early mocks where QBs were slated to go early in the first and ended up in the middle rounds. Matt Barkley, Jimmy Clausen, Landry Jones, Ryan Mallett, Zach Mettenberger, Christian Hackenberg...

As late as early April, I saw a few mocks that had Jake Fromm a top 15 pick in the first round (to your point).

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=15820109]

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Am I the only one who has seen Wentz play recently? He makes some of the most boneheaded throws I can recall. He's a human turnover.
Goff has had his share, too. It seems like most of these guys come out with loads of talent and upside, play fairly well their first season or two, and then fall back down to earth. Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota. Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky.

God, do we even want to get on that train?  

0 chance if we don't try (shrug)
Well...not quite. There's Cousins, free agent options, trade options. What about Darnold. Somebody mentioned Trubisky, Hurts...NOT advocating any of these. Just throwing 'em out there to give you a non-zero chance. :-)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Lances 1 showing this year.  Every Run and Pass of his.  Certainly some things to like,  and a lot of things for concern.  reminds me of Newton coming out,  big arm,  strong runner,  hard to take down,  but there were just parts of his game that didnt look right.  

Thanks for sharing that. Certainly some errant throws but I saw a lot of pressure on Lance and some good coverage on the receivers. He does really well running and navigating open lanes

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Thanks for sharing that. Certainly some errant throws but I saw a lot of pressure on Lance and some good coverage on the receivers. He does really well running and navigating open lanes
the biggest attribute I saw was he set up blockers and used them well as a runner.   as a passer...lots of work to do, lots.  off of this 1 game I would say he would likely would need 2 years of watching and learning before getting handed the reigns which is a lot of time for a first round pick to sit.

I think his rookie year shows a much better prospect,  but then we go back to what happened between 19 and 20?  he obviously added some weight the way it looks,  how much of that added weight affected his throwing motion/accuracy?  how much of it affected his quick burst?  he still ran pretty good in the previous tape, but not nearly as explosive IMO as he was last year.  the 2019 tape give promise,  the 1 game 2020 tape says ...Meh,  mid round pick.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
That pick six last weekend was brutal to watch.  Can you imagine what Philly fans were saying after seening that? :p
Count me as someone who relishes in imagining what Philly fans are seeing this season. Bunch of pricks.

when you are watching these videos,  keep your eye on #1 Christian Watson,  kid seems to have wheels and is a willing down field blocker for his teammates,  you see him flying in from no where on a lot of the long plays to seal off pursuit and allow the ball carrier (often Lance) to get those final 10 yards unmolested.  Might be a later round steal?  I also noticed him running hard after the catch himself.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
The more I think about it, the more I'd be worried about drafting him. I see some guys like Lamar Jackson, Wentz, and others over the years come in (meaning guys who had certain questions about their passing ability), dominate with their athleticism, and then when defenses figure them out the player doesn't raise his game up to the next level or is very inconsistent.

That'd be my biggest concern with drafting Lance, especially having played only 1 game in what will essentially be two years until he goes to the NFL.
I hear you... but I think at some point drafting where Vikes typically draft you are going to have to take a gamble.

You hope you find the athlectic qb that becomes Mahomes or Russel Wilson... heck, I'd probably settle for a Dak Prescott at this point.

Quote: @BEO said:
@PurpleCrush said:
The more I think about it, the more I'd be worried about drafting him. I see some guys like Lamar Jackson, Wentz, and others over the years come in (meaning guys who had certain questions about their passing ability), dominate with their athleticism, and then when defenses figure them out the player doesn't raise his game up to the next level or is very inconsistent.

That'd be my biggest concern with drafting Lance, especially having played only 1 game in what will essentially be two years until he goes to the NFL.
I hear you... but I think at some point drafting where Vikes typically draft you are going to have to take a gamble.

You hope you find the athlectic qb that becomes Mahomes or Russel Wilson... heck, I'd probably settle for a Dak Prescott at this point.
while I am not a fan of Dak myself,  I do agree with needing to take some shots at finding that diamond in the rough.