Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Stock; Sitting @ 4/6...
Quote: @Bullazin said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
It's not about wins and losses now, but individual performance. 

As it stands now, we've got 2 third rounders and 3 fourth rounders...if we package those or trade down from 13, we can pick up that second we gave up. This draft might be the least amount of first round talent I've seen in awhile. But there is good value through the 4th.

Edit: Plus a 3rd comp pick
I want to believe Rick is better now than before, I hope i am right and that Wonnum, Dye and the Baylor kid are all better than Jaleel and Holmes and Elf turned out.  

Looking at history, i think easily firsts and 2nds are the best value in the draft. Need to keep those picks IMO and not go for the quantity > quality 

We will get one impact player this draft. Since we always want to be competitive, if we could get that 2nd impact player OR a QBOTF lets fuggin do it. 
The draft is a crap shoot in ALL rounds, but especially past the 2nd round. On day three, as one scout put it, "you're just guessing." The more guesses you have, the better you're going to do. NFL staffs are beginning to realize this. 

Getting that 2nd back, in fact any kind of moving around in the draft, is not about historical value of one round over another, because every draft is different. It just depends on where the value is in a particular draft.  If the talent cluster is between, say, 50 and 100, then it doesn't make sense to sacrifice several picks in the back of that cluster to take one player at the the top of it.  

It is what it is. This year seemed like a perfect storm of issues that helped contribute to the record. I think once we get guys back from injury and opt-outs, as well as some good experience for the young guys and incoming draft picks...then we'll be a much better team next season.

I believe the offensive philosophy is fine, except for the guy behind center. It seems like he puts up good numbers during the course of the game, but in crunch time when teams know he has to abandon the run and go and pass the ball is where the troubles lie. Until this team gets a QB that doesn't fold under pressure, can make plays on his feet and isn't afraid of making the tough throw, then we won't be much better than a playoff team that may win a game or two in the postseason.

The longer we can play meaningful football, and have a chance at a playoff spot, extending our season, allowing me to watch one or two more games, the happier I will be.

I've said this before, but unlike most of you I suspect, if there were only two choices, I would MUCH rather make the playoffs 10 years in a row and not win a Super Bowl... than win the Super Bowl once and go 4-12 for the next 10 years. 

Watching meaningful football, win or lose, is fun. I like fun. Fun makes me happy. And I sorta think that if we ever do win a Super Bowl, I'll be like, YAY!! Ok....now what? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
The longer we can play meaningful football, and have a chance at a playoff spot, extending our season, allowing me to watch one or two more games, the happier I will be.

I've said this before, but unlike most of you I suspect, if there were only two choices, I would MUCH rather make the playoffs 10 years in a row and not win a Super Bowl... than win the Super Bowl once and go 4-12 for the next 10 years. 

Watching meaningful football, win or lose, is fun. I like fun. Fun makes me happy. And I sorta think that if we ever do win a Super Bowl, I'll be like, YAY!! Ok....now what? 
win another and then another until people be hating the Vikings because they are tired of them always winning the damn thing.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Count me as someone who disagrees. As a KC Royals fan too, yeah we stink, but I can still dust off the WS blu-ray box set, drink out of my WS pint glass, and remember the time when we were kings. It's been 5 years and I'm still overjoyed with that magical run. Someday I hope for the Vikings to do the same. At least once. Anything after that is gravy.

Losing the Cowboys game was a bummer because it seemed like the team had clawed its way back to important games, which is fun as a fan. Not so much now. It sucks being in the middle gray area of meaninglessness. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Losing the Cowboys game was a bummer because it seemed like the team had clawed its way back to important games, which is fun as a fan. Not so much now. It sucks being in the middle gray area of meaninglessness. 
No high draft picks at key positions to look forward to,   no money to get into what could be a hearty free agent class,  and knowing that we are in cap hell and will likely have to lose some of our own quality players just to get under the cap.....not a lot of joy in mudville. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
No high draft picks at key positions to look forward to,   no money to get into what could be a hearty free agent class,  and knowing that we are in cap hell and will likely have to lose some of our own quality players just to get under the cap.....not a lot of joy in mudville. 

Times like this when a GM really needs to do exemplary work...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Times like this when a GM really needs to do exemplary work...
oh sure... and then you go and bring up the fact that we are stuck with 7th Round Pick Rick,  remind me not to ask you for a bedtime story.  :p

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
Count me as someone who disagrees. As a KC Royals fan too, yeah we stink, but I can still dust off the WS blu-ray box set, drink out of my WS pint glass, and remember the time when we were kings. It's been 5 years and I'm still overjoyed with that magical run. Someday I hope for the Vikings to do the same. At least once. Anything after that is gravy.
Yeah, I definitely get it.  Like I said, I would imagine most people would disagree with me about that. It's just not me. We all approach being a fan differently. We all approach life differently. I'm much more "life is a journey, not a destination" kinda guy.