Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else think we might have seen the last of Barr?
I'm not sure about the cap ramifications, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last game as a Viking. Especially if Zimmer is gone after this season...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'm not sure about the cap ramifications, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last game as a Viking. Especially if Zimmer is gone after this season...
there has been absolutely no detectable drop off with Wilson starting.  Cut him and keep the cap space savings for bext year.

Yeah I am thinking that might be a possibility.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@purplefaithful said:
there has been absolutely no detectable drop off with Wilson starting.  Cut him and keep the cap space savings for bext year.
I've got to disagree, Wilson has had his moments but TEs have been open more in the passing game since Barr was injured.  It needs to be considered that the defense has changed and the LB role changed to fit Wilson's skillset.  Barr may not be back but it would have more to do with his cap number than his play.

Thought that since the moment he went down for the year.  The D wasn't any better with him than it's been without him.

Kendricks show up every week on the field. 

Barr doesn't.

Quote: @rf54 said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@purplefaithful said:
I've got to disagree, Wilson has had his moments but TEs have been open more in the passing game since Barr was injured.  It needs to be considered that the defense has changed and the LB role changed to fit Wilson's skillset.  Barr may not be back but it would have more to do with his cap number than his play.
I think you are going to be in the minority on that position.  I dont know many if any that still think that Barr plays at a level any where commensurate with his pay grade and that we could find equal level play from a much cheaper player.  As far as his coverage abilities,  let's agree to disagree there,  the TEs are open more often because our safeties are not crowding the box as often as they are helping the CBs more.  I used to support Barrs game but its just not been there since he got his new deal and honestly he didn't even earn what he got from his play under his rookie deal IMO.

I think our defense has clearly stepped back this year, but
we’ve changed a ton on defense this year, so I think it’s hard to point fingers
at what the difference is.

That said, I don’t think my eyes notice a difference when
Barr is in there vs when he’s not in there. 
Furthermore, I think a $13.5M - $15.5M a year player should be making impact
plays on a fairly regular basis.  You
should notice that they exist.  I just
fail to notice Barr more often than not, and I don’t think the value above
replacement is really there.

I think he’s got to be one of the first guys we move on from
for cap relief.

His cap hit next year is $15.5M if on the roster, dead cap if cut would be $7.8M. Not fun to carry that much dead cap but saves $7.7M so...
I still feel Barr's fate is dependent on Zimmer. If Zimmer is still the HC, I think he will argue to keep him. We aren't incredibly deep at LB even with Barr there, even if Troy Dye develops.
Remember, too: Eric Wilson will be a UFA after this season. He won't be a premier free agent but if his play continues to be good this season, he's going to cost more then the $3M he's making this year. The decision probably shakes out as:1. Keep Barr for $15.5M2. Sign Wilson to a new deal for about $5M/yr, waive Barr but carry his $7.8M dead cap. Total cap is $12.8M, cap savings of less than $3M next year.
Again, I think Zimmer would keep Barr (who is only 2 years older than Wilson), but a new coach might not. Or might not want either of them.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
His cap hit next year is $15.5M if on the roster, dead cap if cut would be $7.8M. Not fun to carry that much dead cap but saves $7.7M so...
I still feel Barr's fate is dependent on Zimmer. If Zimmer is still the HC, I think he will argue to keep him. We aren't incredibly deep at LB even with Barr there, even if Troy Dye develops.
Remember, too: Eric Wilson will be a UFA after this season. He won't be a premier free agent but if his play continues to be good this season, he's going to cost more then the $3M he's making this year. The decision probably shakes out as:1. Keep Barr for $15.5M2. Sign Wilson to a new deal for about $5M/yr, waive Barr but carry his $7.8M dead cap. Total cap is $12.8M, cap savings of less than $3M next year.
Again, I think Zimmer would keep Barr (who is only 2 years older than Wilson), but a new coach might not. Or might not want either of them.
as bad is this team is currently sitting in regards to next years proposed cap.... 3 million is a monster number right now.   

IMO they need to accept the fact that they have made some bad deals and to take the ass whooping in 1 season instead of spreading the disease over several years.   Keep in mind that with guys like Cousins that have multiple years of dead cap money against their contracts they can be released at the start of the league year,   but with a June first designation that would allow the team to carry that 2nd year of cap hit in 2022 instead of having to eat it all in 21.  ( they can do this with 2 players only )