Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI.com: There's hope for a quick turnaround in Minnesota
We saw why the Vikings have been good for a while in their upset of Green BayThis, clearly, isn’t Minnesota’s year. They’re 2–5. They disengaged from their big summer acquisition, Yannick Ngakoue, 11 days ago in an acknowledgment that this just isn’t their year. It would surprise no one if they offloaded a few more vets between now and Tuesday’s deadline. Maybe you could even say, with the core in Minnesota aging, it’s overdue. But amid all that, I think we’re seeing why the Vikings have been such a consistent contender (three playoff trips, two NFC North titles and no losing seasons in the last five years). And we saw it again this week and on Sunday in Green Bay. They’re being honest with themselves about where they stand roster-wise, on one hand. On the other, in the game, they showed signs that their next chapter should be O.K. Proof positive came with a look at the team’s situation in the secondary, against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. The Vikings came into Sunday without starters Mike Hughes and Holton Hill. Cam Dantzler missed the whole week of practice on the COVID-19 list, then got hurt early in the game. By the third quarter, fill-ins Kris Boyd and Mark Fields had gone down too, and that left the team relying heavily on rookies. First-rounder Jeff Gladney and fifth-rounder Harrison Hand were the corners, and with Anthony Harris moving to play nickel, sixth-rounder Josh Metellus took his place at safety. And Minnesota was able to hold off a rally from Rodgers & Co. with that crew late. The headliner Sunday for the Vikings was, as it should be, Dalvin Cook (32 touches, 226 scrimmage yards and four touchdowns). But if you really want to be optimistic that Minnesota will be able to transition from its aging stars, how the Vikings made it work in the secondary should do it for you. In all, Minnesota started five rookies and played eight on Sunday, and a whole bunch of them look like they can play.

That's my hope as a fan: if Minnesota can compete with fire and grit next year with a bandaid vet QB with a drafted rookie sitting the bench even though their record may be mediocre and then release the hounds in 2022 and work toward something. 

This is bad news for all the fire Zim and fire Rick crowd.

Mediocrity forever.

QB is such a vital position that the future of this team really rides with what we do there.  Looks like we are going to win enough games to keep us from getting one of the top QBs in the draft, so we are going to have to do something creative to get a franchise QB here.  

I think the Vikings will win 4-6 games this year...They're not as bad as the Atlanta game and not as good as the GB game.

That should be enough to be in "striking distance" of getting one of the QB's not named Lawrence. I'm not saying it'll be cheap, but maybe within the realm of possibility. 

Then again, that pov is predicated on today and that RS will be calling the shots next off-season. Who knows if that'll be the case?  A new GM? Might be much more willing to go all in draft wise to get one of the top 3. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
QB is such a vital position that the future of this team really rides with what we do there.  Looks like we are going to win enough games to keep us from getting one of the top QBs in the draft, so we are going to have to do something creative to get a franchise QB here.  
creative,  you mean like dont over reach,  identify the talent and then find the people to develop said talent and not push it out of the nest until it is ready to fly and only then if you put the pieces in place to allow it to feel safe in doing so?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@JR44 said:
creative,  you mean like dont over reach,  identify the talent and then find the people to develop said talent and not push it out of the nest until it is ready to fly and only then if you put the pieces in place to allow it to feel safe in doing so?
I think he means creative like trading our 2021, 22, and 23 first round picks for the second QB.

Without finding a new way to lose a game in hand to the Seahawks and another to the Titans we would be 4-3 . I seriously doubt we could turn it around but there's always a chance. I would hate to see us finish 8th in the NFC and miss the playoffs by a game or even a half game which has happened more times than I care to remember. There's no reason not to believe we win vs the Lions, Bears, and Cowboys which would get us even with 6 to go.

Quote: @FLVike said:
Without finding a new way to lose a game in hand to the Seahawks and another to the Titans we would be 4-3 . I seriously doubt we could turn it around but there's always a chance. I would hate to see us finish 8th in the NFC and miss the playoffs by a game or even a half game which has happened more times than I care to remember. There's no reason not to believe we win vs the Lions, Bears, and Cowboys which would get us even with 6 to go.

Umm, playing at Soldier Field on MNF(or any day for that matter), has historically been an impediment for this team...  Confused 

Quote: @medaille said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JR44 said:
I think he means creative like trading our 2021, 22, and 23 first round picks for the second QB.
I would call that reaching unless they really like a guy,  really really like a guy.