Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miscellaneous Thoughts: Pre-draft
This is just a collection of thoughts:
  • Big Disappointment of Last Season:  This may be my biggest disappointment of the season as I am still pissed that the vikes didn't let the backups play the last game of the season.  It was stupid on so many levels.  1.  There was nothing to play for so why risk injury.  2.  Why not see how well the back-ups play in an actual game situation (like the year before) especially since there was no preseason.  3.  Losing would actually improve draft position.  it tells me that decisions were being made more for the coaching staff keeping their jobs than the overall good of the team.
  • First Round Draft Pick:  As far as I am concerned, if the Vikes draft a defensive player first, that means Zimmer is calling the shots.  Last year I predicted they would go heavily on the defensive side of the ball because Zimmer would try to create a great defense -- not only because that is Zimmer's pride and joy but because it is now a reflection on his son.  Now, Zimmer has to build a great defense in one year (in case he is fired) -- otherwise, his son's future in the NFL is in jeopardy.
  • Zimmer:  I have lost a lot of confidence in Zimmer.  Now I am convinced that his self-image is tied up in being a terrific defensive coordinator.  Yes,  he wants to be a terrific head coach but his self-image is tied to being a terrific defensive coordinator.  I think he aspired to be a head coach simply because it what society expects -- aspire to the highest position.  Absent such societal expectations, I think he would have been happy as a defensive coordinator.  To a certain extent, I think the same about Childress.  In many ways, Childress and Zimmer are mirror images.  In fact, the fact that Zimmer was reluctant to change his defensive schemes to account for the inexperienced CBs reminds me of the KAO. 
  • Offensive Line:  To me, if you are going to get value out of Cousins' contract, you need to build an offensive line that maximizes that value.  This is similar to Eric Kendricks.  Eric is an undersized middle linebacker but when you have defensive tackles eating up blockers he is a tackling machine.  So, the Vikes go out and get such DTs to maximize Kendrick's abilities.  You need to do the same for Cousins. 
  • Another Big Disappointment of Last Season:  I posted this a few times throughout the season but I hate that players don't get benched for performance issues.  Really, it seems like players are only replaced due to injury and the subsequent (better) play be the backup is an epiphany to the coaching staff.  Side note, Spielman has selected 8 DBs in the first 3 rounds (out of 26 total selections in those 3 rounds and 5 out of 13 1st round picks) -- a little bit less than a third of all the premium picks.  Compare to 5 olinemen and 3 dlinemen.

I don’t think you can really tell how much pull Zimmer has
on draft day, just based on if we go defense or offense.  I don’t think his sons career is in jeopardy
any more than Kubiaks kids career is in jeopardy now that he retired.

I think we clearly failed to have enough talent on defense
last year both through having to rebuild the roster and circumstances.

I don’t think it’s true that Zimmer failed to adjust his
schemes to help the young CBs.  I think
Zimmer has changed things around quite abit over time, and I don’t think there
was any scheme that was going to look good with the lack of talent we put on
the field.

My biggest beef has been the lack of real attempts to fix
the OLine.  I totally agree that if you’re
going to have Cousins at QB, you need to do what you can to keep the pocket
clean.

I usually agree with your posts, VikingOracle.  They are always well thought out and insightful.

However, I think you're wrong about Zimmer calling the shots in the draft.  I'm sure Zimmer sits in on the personnel and draft meetings and gives his honest evaluation of the players on the roster and potential draft picks.  But this time of year is Spielman's time to shine.  I don't get the sense that Zimmer really wants to be heavily involved in the draft or FA.  He'll lobby for guys he likes, but he's an old school coach that likes to grind the film and coach his guys up.  I just don't see an ego where he wants to be the HC AND the GM of the team.

I could be wrong, but it sure seems like fans are blaming all the teams ills on Zimmer.  I can see people's point when it comes to preparation and performance on game days, but roster issues are a GM problem if they are persistent (like our OL issues).  The GM provides the ingredients and its the HC's job to prepare the meal.

Just saying...