Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odds on coach firings
Quote: @comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
Zimmer isn't getting fired this season. Won't happen. He's proven to be a winning NFL head coach that is coming off a final four appearance in the NFC playoffs and now is facing the bullshit of a pandemic. The Wilfs aren't reactive like that and they shouldn't be. After next year and another shit season? Different story. But not this year. 
The only final four for Tough Guy Mike was the miracle-aided ass whipping at Philly.
Final Four for the NFC, not the Championship game. Upset on the road against a heavily favored Saints team. You can bitch about Z, but can't take that away from him.
It's amazing the faith people have in this guy who has never come close to even being in a SB.  Here we are in year 7 and people are angrily telling me how good he is and his job is safe, he's untouchable. 

No doubt we will be hearing the same thing in years 8-9-10 of no championship.  Then it will be time to give the great and mighty Zimmer another well earned extension.
Maybe it's just semantics, and I get the sentiment. But I wouldn't say getting to an NFC CG is not close to a SB.

Granted they laid some big eggs in those games and left some scars on my psyche too. But he's gotten as close to the big game as any Vikings coach not named Bud Grant. 

Close enough? Not for me who's been rooting for em since the 70's. Neither did Jerry Burns or Denny. 

I think the odds are very high that this is Zimmer's last contract with the Vikings. I'm ok with that this year.

My bigger concern is finishing with 5 or 6 wins, not 2. IF we're going to suck? This is the year to do it in epic fashion.

Looking at the schedule, I'm not sure I have to worry too much. 

Quote: @KingBash said:
@medaille said:

Kirk will get a better understanding of the offense and
start making quicker more correct decisions.
I've been hearing this since 2018. And then he'll have a game where it looks like he's turned a corner only... and then another dud with a string of mediocre games follows. I'm done getting fooled by this guy. This shouldn't be the discussion for a third straight year.
What are you even talking about?  His 2020 games are well below his standard.  He looks like he doesn't fully understand the 2020 offense or trust his 2020 receivers (except Thielen).  He will return to his normal, which is better than what we've seen this year.

I feel like you are pretending that I'm thinking that Kirk will be the next coming of Brady or something, so you have something to argue against.

The issue with Zimmer is that he gets the team to a level where they can handle bad and average teams, and that has usually been enough to get to the 9-win level. Most years, his record tends to have all his wins against teams that finish the year with losing records. It's especially true if you throw out 2017, where they had more success against winning teams...but I think Pat Shurmur was squeezing those wins out of Keenum. Other than that, Zimmer can manage no more than 1 win a year against a good team.
I got the impression that last year, after the team fell flat at home against GB, the Wilfs saw this and were ready to dump him - but his annual surprise win happened in New Orleans. But if they were really ready, they are ready to make a judgment soon.

Quote: @medaille said:
@KingBash said:
@medaille said:

Kirk will get a better understanding of the offense and
start making quicker more correct decisions.
I've been hearing this since 2018. And then he'll have a game where it looks like he's turned a corner only... and then another dud with a string of mediocre games follows. I'm done getting fooled by this guy. This shouldn't be the discussion for a third straight year.
What are you even talking about?  His 2020 games are well below his standard.  He looks like he doesn't fully understand the 2020 offense or trust his 2020 receivers (except Thielen).  He will return to his normal, which is better than what we've seen this year.

I feel like you are pretending that I'm thinking that Kirk will be the next coming of Brady or something, so you have something to argue against.
It's really nothing against your assessment more as it's the general homerism I've been hearing since he arrived. Hell, I repeated it at times myself. 

But he never seems to turn that corner and be a quarterback that I feel confident in overall. I'm always pleasantly surprised, never bored with "yet another 300+ yard game with 3 TDs."

But that's just me. I know people can cite statistics like crazy that will show he's on an upward trajectory overall...

I think Gary Kubiak and Kirk Cousins are on the hot seat! The next five games will be very difficult to turn this thing around. If the Vikings get beat by the Titans at home and then get punched in the face with three tough road games against the Texans, Seahawks and Packers (in a 4 weeks span), things could get real ugly fast. The Vikings are seriously flirting with a 1-6 or 0-7 start.

If that happens Zimmer and Kubiak could (by the grace of the football gods) get a redshirt season pass and/or vote of confidence from ownership?

However, when you start looking at QBs at the top of the draft, it's easy to see that they are RPO "new age style" of quarterbacks.

Do these young quarterbacks fit Kubiak's old school system?

Will the Vikings need an offensive coordinator that can implement more of the RPO game plan.

If you study Trey Lance, he doesn't throw the ball a lot. Yes, he has a quick release and great arm talent, but he is a dynamic runner in the RPO.

If you study Trevor Lawrence and Justin Field, you will see they kill defenses with their ability to run! Yes, they have great arm talent, but why make them one dimensional with an old school coach like Kubiak that would line them up under center all the time????   

^^^

If I could like and give you a thumbs-up on that I would...

Kubiak and KC have been my own biggest disappointments this early on. D is about what I had feared- different than disappointed or surprised even. 

RPO would be a hoot to watch and I have my doubts Kubiak would be the right OC for one. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
Zimmer isn't getting fired this season. Won't happen. He's proven to be a winning NFL head coach that is coming off a final four appearance in the NFC playoffs and now is facing the bullshit of a pandemic. The Wilfs aren't reactive like that and they shouldn't be. After next year and another shit season? Different story. But not this year. 
The only final four for Tough Guy Mike was the miracle-aided ass whipping at Philly.
Final Four for the NFC, not the Championship game. Upset on the road against a heavily favored Saints team. You can bitch about Z, but can't take that away from him.
It's amazing the faith people have in this guy who has never come close to even being in a SB.  Here we are in year 7 and people are angrily telling me how good he is and his job is safe, he's untouchable. 

No doubt we will be hearing the same thing in years 8-9-10 of no championship.  Then it will be time to give the great and mighty Zimmer another well earned extension.
Who said I have faith in him? I just don't have the searing, burning hot hatred for Zimmer that you have. Firing him this season doesn't do shit for the franchise's direction. 
How do you get searing burning hot hatred out of what I wrote?  I've given plenty of rational explanations over the last year why I think he needs to go.  It's not personal, I just want a real shot at a title and Zim doesn't have what it takes. 

Why am I only getting the quote button under my comments? What am I doing wrong?

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:

Do these young quarterbacks fit Kubiak's old school system?
Kubiak might be old, but it's not an old school system. It's the same offense run by Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay and Matt Lafleur.

There is clearly some kind of disconnect right now between his offense and the players charged with executing it. I don't know what it is, and I fear he doesn't either, but the offense itself should be sound.

I think those who think the NFL has passed Kubiak by are overreacting. However, I do believe that if we end up with a chance at one of the top QBs in the draft, we'd be fools for not at least considering pairing him up with an OC that matches his playing style. 

@MaroonBells said:

Kubiak might be old, but it's not an old school system. It's the same offense run by Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay and Matt Lafleur.

I agree those guys are young and running the same system,... but it is still a Mike Shanahan West Coast type of system that has been around for a long time.

In a west coast system, the QB needs to be able to read a defense and throw the ball quickly with timing and accuracy. IT IS NOT A DUAL THREAT OR RPO TYPE OF SYSTEM.

Jared Goff 40 yards rushing in 2019
Arron Rodgers 46 yards rushing in 2019
Jimmy Garappolo 46 yards rushing 2019

Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousin are not QB that beat teams with there leg talent.

Todays young QBs are way bigger that a Dalvin Cook or most running backs. What is wrong with spreading the field, lining them up in the shotgun and letting a QB run? 

If we draft Trey Lance, Justin Field or even Trevor Lawrence and stick them in our current system, it would be a huge mistake!!!

How did drafting Robert Griffen III work out for Mike Shanahan???