Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2-Point Conversions
Has anyone else noticed that the Vikings are going for 2 after nearly every TD? Not sure if it's a result of being behind in games or if it's a result of analytics, but I do like the aggressive approach, especially given how the longer extra points tend to be more iffy. I am curious to see if they keep up with this approach all year or if they will go for more extra points depending on the situation?

The team has given up 2 safeties and are getting behind so that combo is pushing Z to go for the 2-point conversions. 

I don't see an aggressive approach in any other part of the offensive game plan - until they have fallen behind. This is same old Zimmer: try to run the ball and minimize passing. If they have a schedule full of weak teams, it works for those and he pads his record. Against better teams, they get stuffed and fall behind and start throwing desperately, when opponents know they have given up on the run, and it generates some yardage and points but also sacks and INTs.
Another thing about Zimmer's teams: they often come out and score on the first series of a game - but then fall behind and out of the game. Does he think, "We're up 7-0 or 3-0, now I can protect the lead and play conservatively"? 7 points in the first quarter is not a lead to protect, it's a lead to expand!! I honestly don't know if they score early and collapse so often because he gets conservative, or because they have only one well-planned series to start each game and nothing beyond that.

Does anyone remember if they had a safety on KC during the 49'er game?

If so, that would make 3 games in a row with a safety  :p

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

No, but they had 1 against the Bears in the regular season finale...  Confused

Quote: @Kentis said:
@purplefaithful said:

Indeed they did... Confused
Wow~!!!

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Kentis said:
@purplefaithful said:

Indeed they did... Confused
Wow~!!!

Edit, it was against the Bears, I had heard it was 3 games in a row for the team though. No KC in that game, however.

Truly taking an aggressive approach would be to go for it on 4th down. They punted in the 4th quarter while down 28-11. Yeah, they were in their own territory and would have turned the ball over to the Colts in scoring position, but - so what? The only chance to win at that point was to score 3 times, which was unlikely but impossible once they punted. So he was afraid of getting beat by 25 points instead of 17?? Who cares, they were ROUTED regardless. Going for it on 4th would tell the team, "I'm still fighting and I believe my offense has a chance to convert here." Punting tells them, "I don't have any faith in you and I'm just trying to cut my losses."