Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great read on Mattison
Can't help but root for a kid like this. I remember reading about all this when he was drafted, but I'd forgotten all about it. Amazing kid. 

Vikings' Alexander Mattison builds, and breaks through, a 'hurdle wall'

The Vikings' Alexander Mattison learned to leap over hurdles, with family, friends and coaches supplying a safety net of support. 
By Chip Scoggins Star Tribune SEPTEMBER 8, 2020 — 11:48PM
A picture of Alexander Mattison’s first NFL touchdown hangs on a wall in his living room. The image shows him hurdling an Oakland Raiders defender as he soars toward the end zone, gliding so gracefully through air.

That snapshot has become something of a signature move for the Vikings second-year running back. Leaping over defenders while trying to avoid a tackle. He has other pictures of himself performing that trick going back to his college days, all displayed together. He calls it his “hurdle wall.”
In many ways, that move also serves as a metaphor for his life. Whenever something stood in his way, he leapt over it. Over time, Mattison built this personal hurdle wall, an invisible testament to a family’s love and devotion to each other, the power of perseverance, and one kid’s refusal to allow difficult circumstances influence his outlook or success.
Raised in a city with high poverty and violent crime rates, Mattison didn’t stumble. He flourished, both in athletics and the classroom in San Bernardino, Calif., where he graduated from a dual immersion program with a 4.57 grade-point average.
When his family struggled financially and experienced brief periods of homelessness, he kept charging forward with the help of a support system that included relatives, coaches and a community that offered its embrace.
More at https://www.startribune.com/vikings-matt...572350982/

So many kids don't have the support system or resources to overcome big obstacles in life. So many we'll never know that could have not only survived, but flourished into something special and meaningful to society. The phrase 'it takes a village' most certainly does apply. Good read.

It's so easy for a young man to stray from their goals due to hardships and temptations.  Mattison relies on his inner strength and integrity to stay focus and reach his potential and dreams.

In the same way Zim is known for having a forte with CB's, Kubiak has a long record of finding and developing late round/UFA RB's.

IMHO Kubiaks fingerprints were all over the Mattison selection. 

Even if it was only a split second, how many times last year did you mistake Cook for Mattison or vice versa?

Quote: @Mattyman said:
In the same way Zim is known for having a forte with CB's, Kubiak has a long record of finding and developing late round/UFA RB's.

IMHO Kubiaks fingerprints were all over the Mattison selection. 

Even if it was only a split second, how many times last year did you mistake Cook for Mattison or vice versa?

I hear ya, but Mattison was a 3rd round pick. He's a talented kid. So Kubiak has a lot to work with. Its the system that makes them, one cut and go and the offensive line scheme that it is truly 'developing' a RB. I personally wouldn't say that's what Kubiak does. Hell, Boone could be functional in this offense.

Quote: @Mattyman said:

So, why is one of them going to get a multiyear contract for  +$10M a year that keeps him here until he's 30, and the other is going to leave the Vikings as a UFA before he turns 25?

cause he can get paid---end of the day it's about the benjamins

Cook is explosive. Mad Dog not so much. I think Mattison and Boone would be fine in this system, but when Cookie is healthy he is top 10 back in this league and arguably top 5

Agree. Love Mattison and this would still be a potent offense with him and Boone, but Cook is special. He's definitely in the conversation for the NFL's best back. I'd love for him to stay healthy and prove that this year, despite what it would cost us. 

Sure, I understand that Cook has explosiveness that's elite and can break bigger plays than Mattison, and yes his a top 10 back. But since Kubiak has been able to get excellent production from RBs who are of medium raw talent, don't you take advantage of that? IMO the Vikings should have given Kubiak a draft pick somewhere in rounds 4-6 to pick another RB this year - and another pick next year, and so on. If it works (which it did for him in Denver), it maintains a stable of RBs that isn't vulnerable to a single injury and saves money for other positions. Or don't we have other positions that need improvement?