Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dwayne Johnson group buying XFL

Can you smell what the Rock is cooking...!?  Wink B)  

Quote: @Kentis said:
Must be meth if he's spending money on that failed product. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
LMAO, nicely done. Agreed. They bought it for only $15 million??? That's crazy low. What I find funny is that in one article I read about it, they mention how he helped turn around RAW (I think), the wrestling deal.....and that has NOTHING to do with football. The football can't be scripted and contrived like pro wrestling, its not that kind of entertainment. It can't be fake. And oh yeah, there's this gigantic, world entity that is the #1 sport in the U.S. to contend with, the NFL. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
LMAO, nicely done. Agreed. They bought it for only $15 million??? That's crazy low. What I find funny is that in one article I read about it, they mention how he helped turn around RAW (I think), the wrestling deal.....and that has NOTHING to do with football. The football can't be scripted and contrived like pro wrestling, its not that kind of entertainment. It can't be fake. And oh yeah, there's this gigantic, world entity that is the #1 sport in the U.S. to contend with, the NFL. 
Are you sure? I know there are many more moving parts, but if someone wanted to set it up, I'm not sure it's impossible. "Pro wrestling" was created because legitimate wrestling was very popular but so physically dangerous that wrestlers were suffering constant injuries and needed so much recovery time between matches. Sound familiar? And if the league planned the results, they wouldn't need the premier athletes of the world, and they wouldn't be irreplaceable stars who could demand huge contracts. Kyle Sloter could be Pat Mahomes if the CBs were giving receivers an extra couple feet.

Could you tell the difference? Sure, but it doesn't seem to matter in Pro Wrestling. A "managed" football league would never have a dull 13-3 Super Bowl.

I wouldn't welcome it, but I could sure see it happening.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Are you sure? I know there are many more moving parts, but if someone wanted to set it up, I'm not sure it's impossible. "Pro wrestling" was created because legitimate wrestling was very popular but so physically dangerous that wrestlers were suffering constant injuries and needed so much recovery time between matches. Sound familiar? And if the league planned the results, they wouldn't need the premier athletes of the world, and they wouldn't be irreplaceable stars who could demand huge contracts. Kyle Sloter could be Pat Mahomes if the CBs were giving receivers an extra couple feet.

Could you tell the difference? Sure, but it doesn't seem to matter in Pro Wrestling. A "managed" football league would never have a dull 13-3 Super Bowl.

Interesting take.  Pro wrestling was always cheap theater that grew big with the gradual evolution of America into a nation of perpetual adolescents.  But there was no immensely popular real wrestling entity out there that it had to compete with. 

I wouldn't even call the XFL competition, it's function seems to be more like showing deference to the NFL while going "hey what do you think of this crazy rule or that whacky kickoff concept?".  Maybe the XFL can make it as theater or on the strength of constant gimmickry, but the mere fact of playing in the spring is a strike against it.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:

Interesting take.  Pro wrestling was always cheap theater that grew big with the gradual evolution of America into a nation of perpetual adolescents.  But there was no immensely popular real wrestling entity out there that it had to compete with. 

I wouldn't even call the XFL competition, it's function seems to be more like showing deference to the NFL while going "hey what do you think of this crazy rule or that whacky kickoff concept?".  Maybe the XFL can make it as theater or on the strength of constant gimmickry, but the mere fact of playing in the spring is a strike against it.
I actually think late winter/early spring is the only chance its got.  late spring/ summer is a natural non starter as most people are off their couches, fall and early winter are already owned by NFL and college,  it really only leaves February, March, April and maybe very early May,  but by then the NFL draft is stealing a lot of headlines.

His initial dream was to play football in the NFL but he got injured in college. He has been very successful in multiple endeavors, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes this work somehow. I know people automatically think he is going to make this wrestling related or associate him only with wrestling but he could be the one to make something out of this. Vince McMahon was operating out of greed not passion. I think Dwayne Johnson has a passion driving him on this. 

....Wait.....Pro Wrestling is fake!?!

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
....Wait.....Pro Wrestling is fake!?!
Yes, except when the Tooth Fairy wrestles Santa Claus, then the shit gets real.