Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regardless of where you stand, this should be concerning.
Essentially this report by the CATO institute suggests that all Americans feel less free with their speech now than 3 years ago.  Interesting read if nothing else.

https://www.cato.org/publications/survey-reports/poll-62-americans-say-they-have-political-views-theyre-afraid-share#50-strong-liberals-support-firing-trump-donors-36-strong-conservatives-support-firing-biden-donors
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?

Politically correct has been redefined with a new edge.  Just listened to a interesting discussion on the topic of "exposure effect and the internet".  Interesting how being able to gather in real time without physical limitations has been used with some real unintended results.  A discussion not a study just food for thought .  What a marketing tool.

Just for full disclosure the Cato institute is a Libertarian think tank and not a scientific organization.  

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
Politically correct has been redefined with a new edge.  Just listened to a interesting discussion on the topic of "exposure effect and the internet".  Interesting how being able to gather in real time without physical limitations has been used with some real unintended results.  A discussion not a study just food for thought .  What a marketing tool.

Just for full disclosure the Cato institute is a Libertarian think tank and not a scientific organization.  
The point being,  regardless of who collected the data,  Americans across the board are feeling suppressed in their exercising of free speech,   this is then a pretty sharp instrument though for social media and others in the information dissemination racket to control election outcomes.  If people are feeling suppressed they arent talking and more people will feel that their voice is unique and be more likely to just believe the hype spread by what will amount to the vocal minority.  ( which I think is somewhat taking place already,  some for good some for bad) 

as far as CATO,  they may not be a scientific org,  but that doesnt necessarily mean they dont use scientific methods of data collection,  I just found it a bit alarming that our founding right Americans is something people are growing scared to exercise.  ( and is it by design?)   

So anyone collecting data is telling the truth, " Remember, 63% of all statistics are made up"

So anyone collecting data is telling the truth, " Remember, 63% of all statistics are made up"
I didnt say that,  I said that just because they arent a "scientific agency" doesnt mean they didnt use scientific methods... besides,  are you saying all scientific agencies are spot on in their reporting of their findings and that their collection methods arent influenced by things like who is funding them and what results that funding source would like the results to support?

and Im pretty sure its closer to 90% of a statistics are made up on the spot.  :p

Here's what I think: you can find any link or data that supports something that you agree with. 

Here's the other thing I'll say: if you can watch a Donald Trump COVID update press conference and not get the unmistakable feeling he's a complete imbecile, god bless you. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Here's what I think: you can find any link or data that supports something that you agree with. 

Here's the other thing I'll say: if you can watch a Donald Trump COVID update press conference and not get the unmistakable feeling he's a complete imbecile, god bless you. 
um, ok.   

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
I didnt say that,  I said that just because they arent a "scientific agency" doesnt mean they didnt use scientific methods... besides,  are you saying all scientific agencies are spot on in their reporting of their findings and that their collection methods arent influenced by things like who is funding them and what results that funding source would like the results to support?

and Im pretty sure its closer to 90% of a statistics are made up on the spot.  :p

Pfff, 90%.  Some researchers get extra credit for how far they reach. I'd say easily 110%

Cato is libertarian but the research was conducted by yougov.  538 seems to think yougov is decent at conducting polls.  Even if it is slanted its interesting trend that is occurring across the entirety of political leanings not just one faction. 

Methodology

The Cato Institute Summer 2020 National Survey was designed
and conducted by the Cato Institute in collaboration with YouGov. YouGov
collected responses online during July 1–6, 2020 from a national sample
of 2,000 Americans 18 years of age and older. Restrictions are put in
place to ensure that only the people selected and contacted by YouGov
are allowed to participate. The margin of error for the survey is +/-
2.36 percentage points at the 95% level of confidence.

538's rankings:  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:

I am saying a political organization that advocates a specific policy agenda, may need  to have their results replicated before much ALARM is raised.  Aren't you doing exactly what you criticize the press for doing, you need to just wait see befor you star packing the undies.  Besides the premise is kind of moot, employers of private companies are not bound by the first amendment to keep you employed, they will let you say anything, but it's up to them whether you are employed or not.  How many folks in government have had their careers ended because of "Loyalty" issues in the past 4 years.  Drain the swamp or trim the deadwood tomato/tomahto argument.   Besides the closer you are to management, the more you want to please the boss called office politics.  Do you advocate Right to work state?