Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capers, Kubiak help evaluate...
Vikings coaching additions Dom Capers, Gary Kubiak help Mike Zimmer evaluate talent, schemesThe addition of experienced coaches give the Vikings a fresh look at how they do things on offense and defense.One of the biggest reasons the Vikings offense went from scoring 22.5 points per game in 2018, which ranked 19th overall in the NFL, to 25.4 points per game in 2019, which ranked eighth, was the influence of veteran assistant coach Gary Kubiak.
Coach Mike Zimmer brought in Kubiak last season to be assistant head coach and help steer the offense under first-year offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, and the results were impressive.
Now Zimmer has first-year co-defensive coordinators in Andre Patterson and Adam Zimmer for the 2020 season, and he has once again brought in a veteran coach to be a sounding board for those new coordinators in Dom Capers.
When the Vikings hired Capers, Mike Zimmer said he would fill a role similar to Kubiak’s. One big difference is that the Vikings probably won’t change their defensive scheme too much after finishing last season tied for fifth in the league in scoring defense (18.9 ppg), but they also allowed 364.2 yards per game, their highest total since 2015.
“[Capers’ and Kubiak’s roles] will be similar,” Zimmer said. “A lot of the same things. Gary had probably a little more input on terminology and things like that. We won’t change defensive terminology. … [Capers’] role will be more of kind of an overseer, an idea person, you know, maybe the corners should play this way or maybe we should play defensive line a little differently.
“It’s more of another guy like a consultant that can come in. We have been running this defense for a long, long, long time, and I just thought it would be good to get some fresh ideas.”
Great experience
Capers and Kubiak have a lot in common as well-respected NFL coordinators and head coaches before joining the Vikings. Both had two head coaching stints: Capers led the Panthers from 1995-98 and the Texans from 2002-05; Kubiak ran the Texans from 2006-13 and the Broncos from 2015-16.
Before joining the Vikings, Capers had been a senior defensive assistant for the Jaguars last season and defensive coordinator for the Packers from 2009-17.
Zimmer said Capers’ experience — he has coached in the NFL since 1986 — made all the difference in hiring him.
“Dom has been doing this for a long time, and I know he has always had really good ideas in the pressure game, defensively,” Zimmer said. “I just wanted another idea guy, really, somebody to come in and maybe have a little better way of doing things than we have done it in the past or at least be able to say, ‘Have you thought about doing it this way or that way?’ Then we all sit in a room and decide how we want to do things.
“I just thought with the experience that he has and the number of things he has done in his career, and basically he was doing a lot of the same things in Jacksonville that he’ll be doing here.”
While the Vikings are dealing with a lot of coaching turnover, including a new defensive backs coach in Daronte Jones, Zimmer said they know how to handle this kind of change.
“You know, quite honestly, we had a lot of new coaches last year, but they were on offense,” Zimmer said. “We had the same set of coaches defensively for the six years that I’ve been here, so really it’s just about talking things through, talking about technique, talking about alignments, taking on blocks, it’s really just about getting on the same page and then when we all get on the same page, we can get all the players on the same page.
“Really in the NFL, you know, or football in general, [if] you are going to have a lot of new coaches, a lot of new players, that’s the most important thing is everybody getting up to speed.
https://www.startribune.com/hartman-cape...571782522/

Zimmer certainly puts his ego aside when it comes to being a head coach. He's grown a bunch. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Zimmer certainly puts his ego aside when it comes to being a head coach. He's grown a bunch. 
I think that is one of the things that the front office and players love about him. Players look at that and recognize it. They can respect and appreciate it. It's like hey he can still learn and take constructive criticism or can own up to being wrong. That is an excellent trait in a person. It makes a person easier to work with and more likable. I give a lot of credit to him because he has been through a lot of adversity as a coach and personally. You have to have strength to deal with it. Also change isn't always easy but he adapts. 

Mister can't sniff a Super Bowl needs all the help he can get.

Quote: @comet52 said:
Well, he got close twice...But I feel yah on that. 1/77 was a lifetime ago - and the last time the Raiders kicked the crap out of the Vikings in their last SB game. 

I'm curious to see how this newer staff mixes things upon both sides of the ball. But this might be a tough year to evaluate anyone tbh. 

Some Viking fans will be content being competitive in that 10-12 game win area, split with GB most seasons, maybe win one playoff game. I'm far from that anymore. 

I want the whole enchilada before they put me in the ground.

[Image: that%E2%80%99s-right-i-want-the-whole-en...404585.png]

Quote: @comet52 said:
I don't think that's a fair knock on him at all. Look at all he's had to deal with since becoming coach:

* Blair Walsh missed kick in playoffs
* Norv resigning midseason
* Teddy blowing out his knee which almost ended his career
* AD suspension/injuries
* Multiple eye surgeries
* Bradford knee issues in 2017 (although that did lead to a great run by Keenum, which btw, led to a sniff of the SB)

That's just off the top of my head, and yet he's still fielding competitive teams each year. The man needs an extension, and a semblance of normal circumstances would be nice as well.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@comet52 said:
I don't think that's a fair knock on him at all. Look at all he's had to deal with since becoming coach:

* AD suspension/injuries
* Multiple eye surgeries
* Bradford knee issues in 2017 (although that did lead to a great run by Keenum, which btw, led to a sniff of the SB)

That's just off the top of my head, and yet he's still fielding competitive teams each year. The man needs an extension, and a semblance of normal circumstances would be nice as well.
Carlson’s missed GB kickS was the reason we didnt make the playoffs in 18 (one win away)
The historical explosion of the OL in 16 was the reason we didn’t make the playoffs (one win away)

14 Year 1 and Rebuild
15 Walsh gimme from Div Round
16 Teddy Knee - OL explosion
17 NFCCG
18 Carlson’s missed GB kicks
19 Divisional round

Best record in the NFL over the period outside of New England, yet people still think that Zimmer needs to go

Quote: @Skodin said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@comet52 said:

* AD suspension/injuries
* Multiple eye surgeries

Carlson’s missed GB kickS was the reason we didnt make the playoffs in 18 (one win away)
The historical explosion of the OL in 16 was the reason we didn’t make the playoffs (one win away)

14 Year 1 and Rebuild
17 NFCCG
19 Divisional round

Best record in the NFL over the period outside of New England, yet people still think that Zimmer needs to go

All depends on where you set the bar I guess...

Certainly Zimmer has been competitive and there is no guarantee a younger wunderkinder would do better (cough, deflip, cough)...

Getting to the dance is where I set the bar and its been too long for this franchise. That's a legit beef given the last ticket we got stamped was in 1976. That burden falls to whomever is hc of the Vikings today. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Skodin said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@comet52 said:

* AD suspension/injuries
* Multiple eye surgeries

14 Year 1 and Rebuild
17 NFCCG
19 Divisional round

Certainly Zimmer has been competitive and there is no guarantee a younger wunderkinder would do better (cough, deflip, cough)...

Getting to the dance is where I set the bar and its been too long for this franchise. That's a legit beef given the last ticket we got stamped was in 1976. That burden falls to whomever is hc of the Vikings today. 
I think everyone should set the bar at getting to the SB. We as Vikings fans deserve that, maybe more so than any other fandom after what this team has put us through in its history. And while that's a hugely difficult task, the next best thing you can do is field a competitive team year in, year out...and Zimmer's done that. Is he perfect? Not at all. But he does all he can to improve the team, by engaging with his players to seeing what his deficiencies are and trying to improve them. He also didn't just inherit a team that was a couple moves away from being a contender...that team stunk and he improved it immensely his first year and ever since. 

This team still has very good talent across the board, and what looks like to be a good amount of salary cap next year that should keep them competitive. JMO, but I'd let the man ride it out unless he bottoms out.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Skodin said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@comet52 said:

* AD suspension/injuries
* Multiple eye surgeries

14 Year 1 and Rebuild
17 NFCCG
19 Divisional round

I think everyone should set the bar at getting to the SB. We as Vikings fans deserve that, maybe more so than any other fandom after what this team has put us through in its history. And while that's a hugely difficult task, the next best thing you can do is field a competitive team year in, year out...and Zimmer's done that. Is he perfect? Not at all. But he does all he can to improve the team, by engaging with his players to seeing what his deficiencies are and trying to improve them. He also didn't just inherit a team that was a couple moves away from being a contender...that team stunk and he improved it immensely his first year and ever since. 

This team still has very good talent across the board, and what looks like to be a good amount of salary cap next year that should keep them competitive. JMO, but I'd let the man ride it out unless he bottoms out.
I agree. Zimmer has been fine. I rather we let him ride off into the sunset if/when the team is a dumpster fire and we are in contention of a number 1 pick overall than to kick him to the curb while the team has been competitive.