Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fauci weighs-in re: NFL Season (or not)
Quote: @purplefaithful said:

10 weeks between now and opening week? Thats not a lot of time. 

Wow... that's no time at all. Things are looking grim in regards to the season happening, I'd say. At least as far as it happening on time.
MLB and CFB seem all but toast. NBA has a chance and I'd hoped NFL could figure something out. Now I'm not so sure. What a drag.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@1VikesFan said:
I am starting to think that no season isn't that far-fetched.  Virus numbers are spiking in a number of states and many experts are saying wave two hasn't even arrived yet.  Hope I'm wrong because I love football but would not be shocked if we don't see it this fall.
I'm starting to worry about that possibility myself. 

We're seeing a lot of positive COVID cases in Florida because we are testing a lot more. The average age went down to 36 years old compared to over 60 a few months ago. People aren't wearing masks where they should be. Restaurants have live music and at night its a dance club, nobody doing any social distancing. 
we are going to be putting that herd immunity theory to test here right quick in this country.  if season changes affect severity of the effects,   and the body does develop and antibody preventing further infections... maybe summer would be a good time to just get it over with?   I am certainly taking some precautions,  but not nearly what some others are doing.

Can't wait for live football. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@1VikesFan said:
I am starting to think that no season isn't that far-fetched.  Virus numbers are spiking in a number of states and many experts are saying wave two hasn't even arrived yet.  Hope I'm wrong because I love football but would not be shocked if we don't see it this fall.
I'm starting to worry about that possibility myself. 

We're seeing a lot of positive COVID cases in Florida because we are testing a lot more. The average age went down to 36 years old compared to over 60 a few months ago. People aren't wearing masks where they should be. Restaurants have live music and at night its a dance club, nobody doing any social distancing. 
we are going to be putting that herd immunity theory to test here right quick in this country.  if season changes affect severity of the effects,   and the body does develop and antibody preventing further infections... maybe summer would be a good time to just get it over with?   I am certainly taking some precautions,  but not nearly what some others are doing.
The herd immunity theory is built on a belief that once you get it, you wont get it again. 

That hasn't been proven to be true (or false) with Covid-19. Good news is they are finding anti-bodies in humans. 

Well, there's going to be baseball...At least they're going to give it a shot for 60 games. No fans in the stands will be weird.

Seems like the only thing that could cut pro sports cash-flow out at the knees?  Was a Pandemic or War. Guess they're kinda the same. 

I have predicted no 2020 NFL season for a while. The NBA and MLB will test the waters, but even if sports that have less contact than football can play, it doesn't prove the NFL can.
Honestly I think the NBA and MLB attempts will fail and be canceled before completion. Some players are going to test positive, and they will be held out. So how will you feel if luck craps on your team and 3 starters are held out while playing another team that has no one out? How about if some star players (the ones who may have millions in the bank to skip a season) decide they don't want to risk playing? Oddsmakers are going to hate this, too. Best case,the 2020 season will have a big asterisk next to it forever.

Then suppose some players get sick, or worse, die? Not only are fans going to be ticked (imagine losing a QB or star RB forever to this virus), but it's going to be a huge PR blow. Think about when 1 player like Korey Stringer or Sean Taylor dies - it's a major shadow over a season. Imagine if 10 died from Covid this year.

Another question is whether employers can be sued (successfully) by an employee who returns to work and contracts Covid. It's expected to be raised in court within the next month and people are waiting to see how it shakes out. NFL owners will have to decide if they mind being sued by players (or their survivors).

Baseball just announced they are going with a 60 game schedule for 2020.