Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ in slot a lot?

Whether he likes it or not, rookie receiver Justin Jefferson has big shoes to fill next season as the replacement for former fan favorite Stefon Diggs. That much was set in stone when the Vikings made him the No. 22 pick in April’s NFL draft. 
As for where Jefferson is going to line up, offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak offered a hint this week, saying he expects to use him “quite a bit” out of the slot. 
“That”s something he’s exceptional at,” Kubiak said. “We have to get Justin caught up on all those things (we do offensively) and then it’s my job to put him in the best possible position to be successful.” 
To say Jefferson excelled out of the slot last season at LSU would be putting it lightly. He finished with 111 receptions for 1,540 yards and 18 touchdowns while showcasing soft hands and impressive route-running skills as a separation savant. 
The biggest concern about playing Jefferson out of the slot is that Adam Thielen has thrived in that spot in the past. In a perfect world for the Vikings, Jefferson and Thielen would be able to move inside and outside seamlessly to keep opposing teams off balance. 
In that sense, it’s good that Jefferson has proven capable of playing all over the field throughout his collegiate career. 
“I think what he was asked to do last season was very beneficial,” Kubiak said. “He was playing inside in a lot of bunch sets. He was playing in the backfield sometimes. He was moving around a bunch. He runs a lot of choice routes. That’s a way of getting the best player the ball in our league.” 
It sounds like the Vikings are committed to getting Jefferson the ball next season, though Kubiak noted he wants to make sure not to inundate his young receiver with too much information. 
“We have to be smart when we get these guys in here,” Kubiak said. “It’s going to be about the season and not about the first day. We have a plan in place and Justin is doing his part. Now, hopefully here pretty soon, it’ll be time for us to do our part.”
https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/19/ex...xt-season/

I think this is smart. Too many coaches take college players and ask them to do things they've never done before. It's why so many struggle to make an impact their rookie seasons. 

Eventually Jefferson is going to be able to play all over the field. He's already proven that he can, but why not make his (and your) job easier by just using him where he was most effective last season. 

I agree @MB.

Especially for rookie WR's, that first season can be rough. Let alone a rook year where the off-season is off the charts different than anything before it.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think this is smart. Too many coaches take college players and ask them to do things they've never done before. It's why so many struggle to make an impact their rookie seasons. 

Eventually Jefferson is going to be able to play all over the field. He's already proven that he can, but why not make his (and your) job easier by just using him where he was most effective last season. 
Yeah I agree. With a lot of new faces in the WR group, might as well use each to their strength. Jefferson is definitely going to develop, but this year I would think is get him up to speed and work in guys like Tajae and Beebe