Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL may shorten this year's preseason games to 2

This may be literally the only thing which is an unqualified good outcome of Covid-19.

Fantastic. I'm looking forward to a refund of the money I spend annually on pre-season games that I never attend.

I'm so desperate for something fun to talk about I will miss two pre-season games. If it means we will still get a regular season I will make that sacrifice.

Let's hope the NFL sees this as a positive change and continues it. A month of preseason games is just too much. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Let's hope the NFL sees this as a positive change and continues it. A month of preseason games is just too much. 
Funny, when I was a kid they played six(!)  preseason games, and digging around history there were times in the past when teams would occasionally play 7 or 8.   

Of course they had to quit their off-season jobs and use exhibitions to play into shape so they could earn the five thousand bucks a year that football paid.

Quote: @Nichelle said:
Fantastic. I'm looking forward to a refund of the money I spend annually on pre-season games that I never attend.
Me too...

I've given those tix away for years. Usually to friends in the neighborhood who can take their kids and have some fun. My time is just too valuable for a pre-season game.

Still not convinced there is going to be an NFL season with fans in the stands. Could be getting a nice refund from the Zygmeister in September. 

About damn time

Clearly I’m in the minority on this but I kinda like those preseason games.  Granted, I don’t have season tickets so I’m not paying for them but I really enjoy them.  First game, we see our first indication of starters and there is the preview of how they might mesh.  After that, there are new names, draft picks, UDFAs etc and we start to get to know them.  That continues through the second game and invariably there are dark horse candidates we fall in love with and great storylines to follow.  Third game —pressure— as the starters play most of the game, and we start drawing conclusions about how the season will play out. Fourth game might be my favorite because we are watching backups ( on both sides) doing whatever they can to make the team, or show some other team they are NFL caliber. Talk about pressure.  And I guess I identify with the audition aspect of it.

but I realize I am an outlier. I also love CFL games. Wide open.  I like the 5 yard rule on punts, the rouge, the deeper end zone etc.  And I really love the open air stadiums where you can see the skyline of the city in the bg. For me, it really grounds the game in an environment.  It makes it part of the life of the city, rather than looking like it is being played out on a soundstage—floating in limbo and existing solely for the benefit of cameras and lights. 

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
Clearly I’m in the minority on this but I kinda like those preseason games.  Granted, I don’t have season tickets so I’m not paying for them but I really enjoy them.  First game, we see our first indication of starters and there is the preview of how they might mesh.  After that, there are new names, draft picks, UDFAs etc and we start to get to know them.  That continues through the second game and invariably there are dark horse candidates we fall in love with and great storylines to follow.  Third game —pressure— as the starters play most of the game, and we start drawing conclusions about how the season will play out. Fourth game might be my favorite because we are watching backups ( on both sides) doing whatever they can to make the team, or show some other team they are NFL caliber. Talk about pressure.  And I guess I identify with the audition aspect of it.

but I realize I am an outlier. I also love CFL games. Wide open.  I like the 5 year rule on punts, the rouge, the deeper end zone etc.  And I really love the open air stadiums where you can see the skyline of the city in the bg. For me, it really grounds the game in an environment.  It makes it part of the life of the city, rather than looking like it is being played out on a soundstage—floating in limbo and existing solely for the benefit of cameras and lights. 
i look forward to the cfl as well. i try to make a winnipeg game or two a year.