Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saints release Larry Warford
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2020/04...nfl-draft/

About $4.6 million for rookies. So, we could in theory fit Warford.

Post rookie payouts plus the cutting of ELF = enough room for Warford and emergency cap space.

Reiff-Warford-Bradburry-Samia/Udoh/Collins/Dozier-ONeil with Cleveland and Hill ready for starting OT reps would make a lot of sense.  Question is, will be a good fit for the KUBES ZBS?  I don’t know enough to know, some say yes, some say no.

Quote: @Skodin said:
Post rookie payouts plus the cutting of ELF = enough room for Warford and emergency cap space.

Reiff-Warford-Bradburry-Samia/Udoh/Collins/Dozier-ONeil with Cleveland and Hill ready for starting OT reps would make a lot of sense.  Question is, will be a good fit for the KUBES ZBS?  I don’t know enough to know, some say yes, some say no.
Yep, that is what I have been proposing.  That is a much better OL lineup then without Warford solidifying one side and having to try and find 2 starting guards from the pool.  

Another added benefit of adding an experienced Pro Bowl LG would be for Cleveland's development at LT and even Bradburry at Center. He could potential improve the whole left side day 1.   I would assume that having him next to Cleveland would be helpful for a smoother transition this year or next when we move on from Reiff.   

I don't think Warford is a world beater by any means but is he a Top 15 Guard?  I think so.  His projected salary with the Saints and what he is said to want is in the 7.5 - 8 million a year range.  According to Spotrac that would put him around the 15-20 highest paid Guards.  I think all the scheme fit stuff is somewhat silly and reminds me of why we supposedly didn't take Hernandez a couple seasons ago.  I sure would like Hernandez on this team now.  Sure is Hernandez/Warford the ultimate ZBS Guards, no.  But are they Top 20 NFL Guards despite scheme, yes.  The Saints, from all I can see, run a very hybrid blocking scheme of both zone and man with a ton of screens to Kamara (like we want with Cook).  Warford was an all pro alternate all 3 years in that scheme.  He can do the job very well and I think at a good price for his services.

Here is another example of value/cost - Joe Kline cap hit last year was 5.7 million and by cutting him we lost 2.7 million in dead money this year.  So when it is all said and done Kline cost us 8.4 million for 1 season.  I am positive that spending around 8 million on Warford will be a better investment for the whole OL.

Im changing my opinion on Warford. 32 pressures sucks. Rather roll the dice on Elf if no one else beats him out 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

and we could use a signing bonus to back load any deal if there is any interest... the space this year isnt likely a problem if he doesnt want to reset any positional markets.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

and we could use a signing bonus to back load any deal if there is any interest... the space this year isnt likely a problem if he doesnt want to reset any positional markets.
Honestly, I'd still rather have Kline and maybe Kirkpatrick for what Warford would cost...

He was a pro bowl alternate 3 times. He’s not very athletic, he struggles to pull on runs & screens, he is good at the point of attack but doesn’t fit the athletic profile that our offense requires... Also he struggled against us in our playoff OT victory.