Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ezra to G?
Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
It would be a complete waste to put him at guard where he has never played before.  He is only on a 4 year deal too.

They need to see him develop like O'Neill before hopefully extending him.

Spending one year at guard does nothing for his development at tackle.
Agree.  He is not a Guard.  To draft him with the thought to start him at Guard is not a good move.  If we don't think he could be a Tackle by mid-season, if needed, would mean drafting him instead of a 3T or making the deal for Trent Williams would be a mistake - IMO.  Which I don't think the brass thinks at all.  We must believe that Ezra is a true Tackle (L or R) and that our current crop of Guards is going to be an upgrade over last season  for some reason.  I, like many others, would have wanted a 3T and then a Guard a lot earlier then we did.  (let me put in my disclaimer before I get hammered Smile  This is just my humble opinion.  I do not know more then any of our brass or coaches of course)  

Honestly I would have loved a 3T with that pick which their were many remaining.  So I would have liked a 3T or top G with our second round pick + Tent trade with the Reiff salary exchange.  Basically if Ezra is not a starting T within 2 years then I am not that thrilled with the pick.  If Ezra is Guard then WTF but I think that is just blog thought anyway.  Maybe Ezra taking over for Reiff early/mid next season at LT and Reiff moving to Guard would be best case scenario with Samia at RG.

IDK - from my armchair - I'm not sure about the Cleveland pick.  Was it because we nixed the Trent deal for various reasons which we may never know.  Again, back to my best case - draft a 3T in the second (Matubu or Elliott), make the trade for Trent and given up our second 4th rounder and a 4th next year (49'ers got 5th this and 3rd next) still been able to grab Dantzler with 3rd and Stenberg (G from Kentucky with our first 4th and I would have been thrilled.  

LT - Trent/Hill
RG - Samia, Stenberg, Elf
C- Bradbury
LG - Samia, Stenberg, Elf
RT - O'Neill/Hill

CB - no different that we ended up with - Gladney and Dantzler

DT - Peirce and Elliott or Matubu

You can't always get what you want....and all conjecture because no idea of what was going on behind the scenes.  Maybe Trent really didn't want to come here (which I don't believe) and reminds me of missing out on Whitworth (Cinncy) a few years ago.  He would have nailed down the LT and moved Reiff to G or moved on totally.  I do think Witworth did not want to come here because he had more play as a free agent where as Trent would have come here in a heartbeat.  

I don't get how anyone would think Cleveland is a guard. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
He's better suited at LT and that's his future, but Kubiak has already indicated that if moving Cleveland to guard gives him the five best, that's what he'll do.

It's also possible that our starting left guard is not even on the team. Josh Kline is still out there and getting little interest. Vikings could still sign him to a cheap, prove it deal. His best years were with New England playing left guard. Kelechi Osemele is still out there. Vikings have been interested in him in the past. 

I think they'll likely stand pat until training camp though. You can't bring those guys in and you have no idea what you've already got on your team. Definitely don't want to sign a guy that knocks a promising player like Collins or Udoh off the roster. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
He's better suited at LT and that's his future, but Kubiak has already indicated that if moving Cleveland to guard gives him the five best, that's what he'll do.

It's also possible that our starting left guard is not even on the team. Josh Kline is still out there and getting little interest. Vikings could still sign him to a cheap, prove it deal. His best years were with New England playing left guard. Kelechi Osemele is still out there. Vikings have been interested in him in the past. 

I think they'll likely stand pat until training camp though. You can't bring those guys in and you have no idea what you've already got on your team. Definitely don't want to sign a guy that knocks a promising player like Collins or Udoh off the roster. 
Kubiak is just reinforcing that the best 5 SHOULD start, but you aren't taking the future LT of the team and put him at guard when you've got a below average talent in Reiff at the position. 

My interest lies where Udoh ends up.