Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Riveria Has Contracted AG-24
Redskins coach Ron Rivera said RB/WR Antonio Gibson has "a skill set like Christian (McCaffrey).""He's a little bit bigger than Christian, but he's got a skill set like Christian," said Rivera, who obviously coached McCaffrey for two seasons. "This is a very versatile, young football player that we really think is going to be a guy that can get on the field for us early and contribute." Gibson was designated as a wide receiver when selected with the No. 66 overall pick but has since been discussed as a running back who will align all over (including in the slot and out wide) Washington's formation. Arguably the most efficient player in the nation (15.6 yards per touch) last year, it sounds as if the team's coaching staff is completely on board in utilizing Gibson's versatility after he led all FBS skill players in yards after contact per attempt (8.0) with the Tigers last year.
RELATED: 

There's a lot of logic in letting a guy like Gibson play RB with a lot of receiving looks. Success at WR, long term, is so dependent on route running, and how many guys like Cordarelle have spent years trying to perfect that craft and ended up frustrated?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
There's a lot of logic in letting a guy like Gibson play RB with a lot of receiving looks. Success at WR, long term, is so dependent on route running, and how many guys like Cordarelle have spent years trying to perfect that craft and ended up frustrated?
Yup.  Flexibility is a great thing to have in a player.  But the end result, in most cases, is they become a gadget player.  And taking the pounding a RB gets can shorten anyones life span.

Who was the Packer WR that they put at RB?  I thought I remember him actually being pretty good there.  

Ty Montgomery

He is 6 feet 220 pounds (built like back). 16 reps on the bench press and can run a 4.39 forty. He ran it 33 times last season and averaged 11.2 yards per carry. I would say he can line up anywhere he wants. He is a good ball carrier and a bigger mismatch to cover coming out of the backfield. I think every coach wanted to contract AG-24.