Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Two Cents On Nate Stanley
Five years ago as a staff writer for vikingsterritory, I successfully identified Danielle Hunter as a potential Vikings draft target in one of of my pre-draft articles. I hope my fifteen minutes of fame then will allow me to exercise my "authoritative hack" status when sharing my opinion on Nate Stanley in this forum.

With the 244th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings selected Nate Stanley in the seventh round. As a seventh round rookie, Stanley is looking at a $2.7 million, four-year deal with a $77,500 signing bonus.

So what exactly are the Vikings getting with Stanley. The obvious answer of course is “a career backup quarterback”. That answer is indeed spot on, but I think there might be more to Stanley than what first meets the naked eye.

Before Stanley took over the reins as the starting QB for the Iowa Hawkeyes, the team had lost their previous five consecutive bowl appearances between 2011 to 2016.

Stanley however, went on to flip that table and sets the Iowa record for bowl wins in a career with three. Stanley helped guide the Hawkeyes to wins over Boston College in the 2017 Pinstripe Bowl, Mississippi State in the 2019 Outback Bowl, and USC in the Holiday Bowl. In those three wins, Stanley was 47 of 73 for 526 yards 6 TDs and 1 INT. 

Stanley is the second leading passer in yards (8297) and touchdowns (68) in Iowa history with a completion percentage of 58.3 and a record of 27-12 as a starter.

Stanley is 4th on the Vikings QB depth chart at the moment,.. but it wouldn't surprise me to see him climb that ladder this pre-season.

Sean Mannion is the incumbent Vikings backup who, like Stanely, is a tall big armed pocket passer. Mannion is the more decorated and accurate thrower of the two. 

So why do I favor Stanley over Mannion in the long run? Answer: Leadership intangibles and the ability to win ball games. Mannion started 43 games in his college career, completing 64% of his passes for 13,600 yards, 83 touchdowns and 54 interceptions. As a senior he became the Pac-12 all-time leading passer breaking Matt Barkley’s record. But when it’s all said and done, his Oregon State football teams finished with a combined 26-26 record from 2011 to 2014 with only two bowl appearances. 

Mannion started ten games as freshman (winning three) and another eight as sophomore helping lead the Beavers to the 2012 Alomo Bowl. His coach, Mike Riley, decided to start Cody Vaz in that game over Mannion because he though Vaz (a junior) was the most ready to start. That might tell me all I need to know about Mannion's early work ethic and leadership ability. 

Mannion has two NFL starts under his belt. Both have been on playoff teams in end-of-the-year meaningless mop-up duty. Both times his teammates played uninspired football around him in losing efforts.

My point is, Stanley is not going to wow you with his ability to take over a game. He was never the MVP candidate during Iowa's biggest wins, yet his teams constantly found ways to play well around him. Despite some of his accuracy issues running a quick strike up-tempo passing attack, he does possess a high football IQ and the ability to protect the football. 

For a backup quarterback who will be relegated to holding a clipboard for the majority of his career, I’m not going to get too nit-picky over ball placement issues at this point. I like this kid.

In the Holiday Bowl clip below you will see some inaccurate throws on a few shorter route, (you can’t hide that on film). However, we also see his big arm as he throws the ball well on out routes and deeper shots down field.

Reminds me of an old commercial,  
“Stanley, we want to help you do things right!”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S0jREZmX8JA

I get bored with the constant attempts at judging QB talent by "wins", as though football was a 1-on-1 game.  Stanley's team win games.  Stanley is, relatively speaking, a bum.

He's Josh Allen without the athleticism.

A 7th round draft pick isn't having many expectations placed on him. Its up to Stanley, the bridge to the #3 QB is not a long one. I'd start with that hurdle before ever getting close to discussing him being a potential #2 guy. He's got some decent intangibles, but his accuracy needs to improve or he'll be just another late round guy that didn't make it. He got drafted because he played in a good conference, has a nice arm and NFL size and was a 3-time captain. 

He's has some tools, has some upside, He's coachable.  He was a good team leader with the Hawkeyes, Farentz got what he wanted from him and I hope our coaches do the same.  He's not the SOD, but he's a Viking.

He's not the flashiest late round QB I've ever seen, but as Sticky said, his size and arm should keep him on a roster.  But three QB sneaks in a row vs. the Trojans?  Kid's got some toughness.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
He's not the flashiest late round QB I've ever seen, but as Sticky said, his size and arm should keep him on a roster.  But three QB sneaks in a row vs. the Trojans?  Kid's got some toughness.
Yep, Ralphie, he's got some intangibles. It would be great if the kid was some kind of pleasant surprise but that means he'll have to change some weaknesses at the pro level and that's very hard to do. Look at board favorite Kyle Sloter: all the physical attributes you could want but he never played enough games or was able to overcome switching position in college to the hardest spot (QB). He didn't think like a QB. NFL Europe would have been so beneficial to a guy like Sloter because real reps under center in game situations are golden. Preseason is garbage football. They can't be replicated. Stanley has a better chance at sticking because of all the intangibles (games played, 3 time captain, BIG 10 conference, pro system, etc.)

Quote: @Ralphie said:
What's funny is all of my friends and I were laughing at how good he was at QB sneaks. It felt like the guy would get 7 yards every time that play was called. Nate is a lot more athletic than people think, he just didnt show it in a lot of games. When he did scramble, you'd see that high 4.7 speed. Cannon for an arm but absolutely zero touch on a deep ball and way too many inconsistencies on easy routes.

If you're going to compare 2 NFL QBs based on their college stats, it's suspect if you cite wins (a team stat, as others have noted) but not completion percentage. For all the doubts about Mannion's winning, he completed almost 65% of his passes at Oregon State, compared to Stanley being under 59% - and Mannion threw over 1800 attempts compared to less than 1200 for Stanley - stats get more reliable as you accumulate more of them. Accurate throwing is a better predictor of NFL success than playing on a winning team.
IMO Stanley should only worry about Jake Browning. He's chasing him for accuracy but has a better arm and I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks on the practice squad.
If Stanley sticks for a year or two, the biggest stat to compare with Mannion will be salary. At the moment, Mannion is relatively reasonable (about $1M/year) as a veteran NFL backup. But if he manages to play in a couple more games, maybe even win one and throw a couple TD passes, even in mop-up duty, he might become a mildly-expensive backup QB and the Vikings will look to replace him.