Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Vikings beat Seahawks?
First game this year that I'll be able to watch start to finish, uninterrupted by baseball. And damned if I'm not looking forward to it! Sure, a week ago I was inches from declaring the season lost and tanking for Trevor, but call me crazy, now I'm filled with renewed hope based on what I saw last week.

I saw a defense that looked like it was a little pissed off. No, this isn't the defense from 2017, far from it. In fact, it's the worst defense we've seen since Zimmer took over in '14. But with Zimmer doing his tweaks and adjustments, and learning youth in the secondary, it can become tolerable by midseason, even without Hunter and Barr. It won't be tolerable tonight, mind you. There's little doubt that Russell Wilson is going to torch our defenders repeatedly. 

But what has me filled with hope is the offense. With Cousins, Cook, Thielen and now Jefferson, this offense can be one of the very best in the NFL. Poor protection and bad decisions by Kubiak and Cousins early on prevented us from seeing what it's capable of. But with improved protection against the Titans, and what one might even call "good" protection against the Texans, we were able to see yardage in chunks and a truly balanced attack, which is always hard to defend.  

I think the Vikings make a game out of this and may even win it. 

Highly doubtful. We know how this will go. 

The key is Dalvin and the OL...

Like playing Rogers or Brady, the way to beat Wilson is to keep him sidelined as much as possible. Not sure if Kendricks is playing tonight or not? 

A D without Kendricks/Barr/Hunter? Not good. 

I'm not feeling this is the Vikings team that will finally beat R.Wilson.  It would be a hell of an upset though!

Hope its competitive and entertaining, cause this has the feeling of one that could get ugly - even with no 12th man.

For me as a fan, this year has turned quickly into watching the younger players compete and grow and not team wins/losses.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Like playing Rogers or Brady, the way to beat Wilson is to keep him sidelined as much as possible. Not sure if Kendricks is playing tonight or not? 

I'm not feeling this is the Vikings team that will finally beat R.Wilson.  Hope its competitive and entertaining, cause this has the feeling of one that could get ugly - even with no 12th man.
Take the Vikings plus the 7. And good god take the over. There are only 3 defenses worse than ours. And Seattle tops the list. In fact, in terms of pass defense, the Seahawks are the worst, and by a long ways. Over 400 yards passing per game. That's not total yards. That's just passing. Sure, ya gotta pass to keep up with Russ, but that's not really what happened in their 1st four games. All four were competitive. And in the one big comeback, it was the Seahawks who came back. 

If the Vikings can't take advantage of that pass defense, it will be over in the 1st half. If they can, they'll need a pinball machine to keep score. Team with the ball last wins. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm not feeling this is the Vikings team that will finally beat R.Wilson.  Hope its competitive and entertaining, cause this has the feeling of one that could get ugly - even with no 12th man.
Take the Vikings plus the 7. And good god take the over. 
Hell no on the Vikings +7, hell yes on the over!!  :p

This is going to sound bad, and its the kind a stuff many hate to read on fan-boards; but I don't trust this staff or the big knockers on this team to have big games when it matters.

Even at 1/3 there is a lot of football left to play (hopefully).

But I think tonight is important;

A win tonight is a big step to helping right the ship for 2020.

A loss will solidify in (in me anyways) that this is a bad team, maybe the worst since Frazier was coaching here. 

Any given Sunday...!  Wink B)  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

This is going to sound bad, and its the kind a stuff many hate to read on fan-boards; but I don't trust this staff or the big knockers on this team to have big games when it matters.

A loss will solidify in (in me anyways) that this is a bad team, maybe the worst since Frazier was coaching here. 

I understand why winning tonight would be very significant for getting this season going in the right direction, but why would a loss tonight put the last nail in the team's coffin? The Seahawks may have some defensive vulnerabilities, but they also have a future HOF QB having one of his best seasons. IMO Wilson is the best in the game, and that includes Mahomes, at least so far - call me old fashioned but I'll take the guy who has done it for 8+ seasons. Since Carroll took over, the Seahawks have elevated to one of the best teams in the NFL. And the Seahawks have OWNED the Vikings, undefeated since Wilson became their QB.

This is a game the Vikings probably would have lost even at their peak in 2017. I know, 1-4 will look pretty bleak, but there isn't a lot of shame in losing to an undefeated Seahawks team. For me, the "give it up" point would be a loss next week against the weak Falcons.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I understand why winning tonight would be very significant for getting this season going in the right direction, but why would a loss tonight put the last nail in the team's coffin? The Seahawks may have some defensive vulnerabilities, but they also have a future HOF QB having one of his best seasons. IMO Wilson is the best in the game, and that includes Mahomes, at least so far - call me old fashioned but I'll take the guy who has done it for 8+ seasons. Since Carroll took over, the Seahawks have elevated to one of the best teams in the NFL. And the Seahawks have OWNED the Vikings, undefeated since Wilson became their QB.

This is a game the Vikings probably would have lost even at their peak in 2017. I know, 1-4 will look pretty bleak, but there isn't a lot of shame in losing to an undefeated Seahawks team. For me, the "give it up" point would be a loss next week against the weak Falcons.
That Wilson is great is already baked into the cake. No way the Vikings stop him. Hell, we won't even slow him. We win by doing to his defense what he will almost certainly do to ours. 

If Cook, Cuz and Kube are cookin, you'll need a 10-key to keep score and the Vikings have as much chance to win as the chickens. If they're not, this will be over by the 2nd quarter and you can watch The Courtship of Eddie's Father. 

Did you know Brandon Cruz (Eddie) sang for the punk band The Dead Kennedy's?

It will be difficult with the defense struggling, so their best bet is in a shoot out. Not impossible, but it seems like an uphill battle. I will say with as weird as a season as it's been, maybe it's the kind of the year where we beat the Seahawks, but miss the playoffs.