Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maroon Bells Underrated / Overrated list
I’ll post these with the qualifier that I no longer have the time to look at players past the top 100, or players outside the Vikings needs (LB, QB, RB, TE). But we’ll give this a go…
OT: 
Overrated: Mekhi Becton, Austin Jackson
Underrated: Andrew Thomas, Ezra Cleveland, Matt Peart

IOL:
Overrated: Tyler Biadasz
Underrated: Matt Hennessy, Ben Bartch (as a guard), Hakeem Adeniji (ditto), Danny Pinter

WR: 
Overrated: Henry Ruggs, Jalen Reagor
Underrated:  Brandon Aiyuk, Bryan Edwards, Van Jefferson

Edge:
Overrated: Yetur Gross-Matos
Underrated: Darrell Taylor, Alex Highsmith

IDL:
Overrated: Derrick Brown
Underrated: Neville Gallimore

CB: 
Overrated: Kristian Fulton, Trevon Diggs
Underrated: AJ Terrell, Darnay Holmes, Amik Robertson

S: 
Overrated: Grant Delpit, Xavier McKinney
Underrated: Ashtyn Davis, JR Reed

Overall
Most Underrated: Neville Gallimore, DT
Most Overrated: Tie: Grant Delpit, S and Kristian Fulton, CB

Alumni:
Underrated: Geno Atkins, Aaron Donald, Bobby Wagner, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Jones, Kenny Golladay, George Kittle, 
Overrated: Laquon Treadwell, John Ross, Mike Williams, OJ Howard, Garret Bolles, DeShon Kizer, Matt Jones, Mitch Trubisky
Don't ask me about: Running backs

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I’ll post these with the qualifier that I no longer have the time to look at players past the top 100, or players outside the Vikings needs (LB, QB, RB, TE). But we’ll give this a go…
OT: 

IOL:
Overrated: Tyler Biadasz (for a power team, put him in the underrated column)
Underrated: Matt Hennessy, Ben Bartch (as a guard), Hakeem Adeniji (ditto)

WR: 
Overrated: Henry Ruggs and God knows who else

Edge:
Overrated: Didn’t see any. Really not a fan of this class of Edgers

IDL:
Underrated: Neville Gallimore, Ross Blacklock

CB: 

S: 

Overall

Alumni:
Underrated: Geno Atkins, Aaron Donald, Bobby Wagner, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Jones, Kenny Golladay, George Kittle, 
Overrated: John Ross, Mike Williams, OJ Howard, Garret Bolles, DeShon Kizer, Matt Jones, Mitch Trubisky
Very impressive on the alumni side alone!!!

On your current list - Derrick Brown overrated????  Meaning not top 5, top 10, top 15 top 20???   If he falls into the mid teens would you move up?

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
OT: 

IOL:
Overrated: Tyler Biadasz (for a power team, put him in the underrated column)
Underrated: Matt Hennessy, Ben Bartch (as a guard), Hakeem Adeniji (ditto)

WR: 
Overrated: Henry Ruggs and God knows who else

Edge:
Overrated: Didn’t see any. Really not a fan of this class of Edgers

IDL:
Underrated: Neville Gallimore, Ross Blacklock

CB: 

S: 

Overall

Alumni:
Overrated: John Ross, Mike Williams, OJ Howard, Garret Bolles, DeShon Kizer, Matt Jones, Mitch Trubisky
Very impressive on the alumni side alone!!!

On your current list - Derrick Brown overrated????  Meaning not top 5, top 10, top 15 top 20???   If he falls into the mid teens would you move up?
Derrick Brown is a really good player, but I don't like his motor and that sends up a red flag for me. That's not a trait that improves much going from college to pro. When you consider that half of these guys are going to be busts--even in the top 10--he has a bit of a bust factor that makes me uncomfortable at that level. I would take him at 22 but he won't fall that far. Conversely, I love Gallimore's motor. Combine that with his speed and the fact that he was misused at OU, I like how he translates to the NFL as a 3T. 

As far as the alumni goes, those are all my hits. If I'm honest, there were a few misses as well. I've discovered that I can't pick running backs at all. Just too many factors involved. Missed on McCaffrey, Kamara...thought they wouldn't be every down backs. I've admitted defeat on that position and will no longer try to figure out RBs. :-). Wide receivers are almost as hard. 

I agree with much of this. Disagree on Derrick Brown. I have seen many of his games and loved his motor - sideline to sideline often. Only other nit, not a fan of Terrell. Good job.

Quote: @Rigby said:
I agree with much of this. Disagree on Derrick Brown. I have seen many of his games and loved his motor - sideline to sideline often. Only other nit, not a fan of Terrell. Good job.
Well, I could rank them like everyone else, but what fun would that be? :-) I just see things in Brown's game that give me pause (lateral agility, inconsistent effort). And I think Terrell is going to surprise everyone...not just on where he's taken, but how well he plays in the NFL. He gets dinged too much for that LSU game. 

My overrated is Clemson. I watch them like Burgess Meredith watched Clubber Lang destroying heavyweights; with a mixture of hate, fear and mad respect. Something was off about this team all year. And 2 guys getting massive hype just never lived up to it: Terrell and Higgins.

This isn't a 'Justin Gilbert will suck' level hunch like I had back in the day. Maybe even not quite a 'John Ross is massively overrated' hunch, which I absolutely had before Maroon lol.

The ACC sucked bad this year. But Clemson had its wake up call against OSU. And still wasn't ready for LSU. Terrell absolutely could not handle NFL quality Receivers. Higgins was hurt but he's just more of a run down the sideline and out jump a smaller CB guy to me.

Is it fair to pin one bad game on them? Nope. But I didn't see either of them consistently dominate weaker competition the way their predecessors did. I'm almost certainly wrong about both of them, but that's how I feel.

My underrated player is Kinlaw. Yep. Kinlaw. Whom Geoff thinks is overrated. I see Chris Jones 2.0. Not as a Rookie. But Jones wasn't the monster he is now as a Rookie either. Dre and Zimmer hone those moves and the kid has the chance to be up there with Kevin Williams in Vikings lore. This is my favorite player since I lost my freaking mind over Keenan Allen back in the PT days.

Quote: @FSUVike said:

This isn't a 'Justin Gilbert will suck' level hunch like I had back in the day. Maybe even not quite a 'John Ross is massively overrated' hunch, which I absolutely had before Maroon lol.
Well, you certainly had it before me, because I don't remember stating an opinion on John Ross. We had Thielen and Diggs at the time and I don't spend much time on positions the Vikings don't need. 

Oh...just looked it up. I guess I did...

Underrated WR: Cooper Kupp (best route runner in draft), Zay Jones(every box checked), Kenny Golladay (HWS, bad QB masking true talent), Josh Reynolds (HWS, bad QB masking true talent?)

Overrated WR: Mike Williams (no juice), John Ross (health)

We agreed on Justin Gilbert. You're right on Kinlaw. Wrong on Terrell. :-)

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Alumni:

If "Alumni" is your past predictions pre draft... dude, I'm listening to you from now on when it comes to player ratings.
AND THE VIKES SHOULD TOO!

By the way, here's what I said on Gilbert...

I don't want to call him a bust, but I think Gilbert could be one of the bigger 1st round disappointments. He scares me. From the neck down, I think he's a top 10 pick. But I don't like what's in his head. He's inconsistent, isn't physical enough to press or defend the run, makes too many mental errors, got scorched a ton in 2012. He improved a lot in 2013, so you tend to think the arrow is pointing up, but is it a 1-year thing? If it was, he's a bust. If not, he's a shut-down guy. I'd be very nervous about taking him that high. The sort of thing he struggles with tend to compound in the NFL. JMO.

He was drafted by the Browns 8th overall in the 1st round. What's funny (or sad) is that he was the first of two 1st round picks by the Browns that year. The 2nd? Johnny Manziel. About Manziel I said, "he'll be playing in Canada in 3 years." Definitely wrong on that one. Took 4 years before Manziel was playing in Canada. :-)

Just having fun. Feel free to bring up the players I was wrong on. There are many. 

Kind of Troy Williamson / Erasmus James territory....