Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hughes and the young guys...
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Hill doesnt seem to get a lot of love from this group.  FSU excluded.   I think he is just as likely to be starting as Hughes is.
I've been less vocal on Hill, but I believe he's pretty  talented. Think about it, double suspension, with limited starts, Hughes coming off injury, and we hung on to him.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Hill doesnt seem to get a lot of love from this group.  FSU excluded.   I think he is just as likely to be starting as Hughes is.
I've been less vocal on Hill, but I believe he's pretty  talented. Think about it, double suspension, with limited starts, Hughes coming off injury, and we hung on to him.
He got the body type I like in corners,  seems to have some stickem to his coverage game,  doesnt seem to get flustered easy... I think he will be our top CB this year,  if he doesnt F-up again.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
He got the body type I like in corners,  seems to have some stickem to his coverage game,  doesnt seem to get flustered easy... I think he will be our top CB this year,  if he doesnt F-up again.
Kid looks like he can be a pretty good return guy as well. Got some jets and moves to him. But if he's going to start, might not want to go that route.

We need us one of these...Anyone else remember old Lester Hayes???

[Image: Hayes_Lester2_Raiders.jpg]

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
We need us one of these...Anyone else remember old Lester Hayes???

[Image: Hayes_Lester2_Raiders.jpg]
The Judge.

Him and Mike Haynes...elite

different times---those guys would be flag magnets today

Quote: @Akvike said:
different times---those guys would be flag magnets today
Flag? Hell, felony charges.

QBs that targeted Holton Hill in the last two seasons have met this eventual statline:

19/33 Completions to Targets
57.6% Comp pct

212 yards
1 TD

6.4 Yds/Target

8 Passes Defended

1 INTs

74.3 Passer Rating

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think his off field issues attribute a lot to the lack of love.  I really like Hill and think he could be their top CB this season, as long as he's on the field.
Exactly, I like him as a player too, but his off the field issues make him a difficult player to trust to take on a major role in the defense. They've also limited the chances he's had to prove himself on the field. so there are a lot of question marks with him.

As for Hughes, I'll admit that I never liked picking him. He did show some promise as a rookie, but he's never been quite right since his ACL injury & his neck injury is a scary. I also feel like he's a player that gets into nearly the right position, but never really makes the play, which was a problem with our corners had in general last year. Maybe it's an emphasis thing to not sell out and give up bigger plays, but it seemed more in the realm of being slightly behind and just not setting himself up to break up the pass.

They're still better players than when we used to pull corners off of the street and they have the potential to be good, but I don't have a high degree of confidence in our current corners. Ideally, we'd add 1-2 corners maybe something like a high pick and someone like Robinson from Tulsa in the mid rounds who models his game off of Rhodes. But really, I'd like to see upgrades along the DL, especially at DT, to make it so that the corners don't need to cover as long.

The Hughes neck injury is a scary one...

Glad to hear they think he's on the mend and doing well.