Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hughes and the young guys...
Anyone concerned as he is our former 1st round pick...has shown some big play ability..but also major major busted coverages, good receivers easily getting separated from him and even a weakness on jump balls in the red zone.  Alot of his time has reminded me of Josh Robinson from years ago.

I really hope Zimmer is pounding the table for a vet like Fitzpatrick.  These young guys have moxie..but we will get eaten alive by Rodgers and Stafford and possibly Foles also in the pass game..let alone the other top tier QBs we will be playing.

As good as our safeties are...and as bad as Rhodes played.. I really think its unreal that Alexander or Waynes wasn't paid.  

I think it's safe to assume that Hughes will be one of our starters regardless of who we bring in.  Hopefully he'll play better another year removed from his ACL injury.  All said, I think we really need to work on our pass rush to remove some pressure from our CBs, and I would prioritize that over CB if equal options are available.  Also maybe one of our young DTs can step up as well.

I certainly don't see Hughes as a "sure thing" starting CB.  He's made some plays, but he's also missed on plays just as often it seems.  There needs to be a large jump in his play for me to feel confident when he's out there.  As bad as Rhodes seemed to play last season, having Hughes replace him was hardly a better option.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
I certainly don't see Hughes as a "sure thing" starting CB.  He's made some plays, but he's also missed on plays just as often it seems.  There needs to be a large jump in his play for me to feel confident when he's out there.  As bad as Rhodes seemed to play last season, having Hughes replace him was hardly a better option.
It's possible that we bring in a vet and draft a top rookie, which would push him to nickle.  That wouldn't be unheard of or a bad idea.  I do think they'll give him the benefit of the doubt over many other options unless they have a pretty good pedigree.

I just read online, from Darren Wolfson, that Hughes' neck is doing well and he should be good to go for the season. This is year 3 for him. Team needs him to step up and play to his potential.

Hughes biggest issue is something he cant fix,  and that is when teams get him on a taller WR and just put the ball up where he cant defend it.  and with the defenseless receiver rules in the league protecting that WRs kidneys from a bomb dropping safety.... why wouldnt they just keep doing it?

As a rookie, Hughes picked up the D quicker than any rookie Zim had ever been around...Zim is not a bouquet tosser...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
As a rookie, Hughes picked up the D quicker than any rookie Zim had ever been around...Zim is not a bouquet tosser...
And the D has gotten 'friendlier' even since then by playing more and more Zone, which Xavier just never was any good at going all the way back to college. The health is a question mark. Hurt twice in two years is not a favorable indicator of future availability. 

But I want to address Jimmy's point. The Dallas game was a great example of Hughes being in the right place at the right time play after play, something that Waynes wasn't doing consistently at the same point in his career. The problem was the Cowboys Recivers kept making plays over him or he was just out of reach from being able to affect the catch.

I think he's a Slot CB. Which is important because there literally isn't one on the Roster currently and I'd hate to trust a Rookie in that spot. Most schools don't have a true Slot CB that plays only that position until they go pro. You typically need to convert an Outside guy ala Mac Alexander. And that takes time. 

Hughes may not have played a ton of Slot snaps but I'd wager he's played enough the last few years to make the transition easier than it would be for a Rookie.

Hill is still intriguing. With the new 420 rules if he can stay off the roids he's no different than drafting a kid in the 3rd or 4th and putting him at an Outside spot. Holton, a Vet like Kirkpatrick, a Rookie with Hughes in the Slot and Boyd and Sayles still in the incubator is not going to be better than what the team had last year.  But it won't be much worse, especially if the pass rush improves. And unlike the previous group they are cheap and have the potential to grow.

Hill doesnt seem to get a lot of love from this group.  FSU excluded.   I think he is just as likely to be starting as Hughes is.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Hill doesnt seem to get a lot of love from this group.  FSU excluded.   I think he is just as likely to be starting as Hughes is.
I think his off field issues attribute a lot to the lack of love.  I really like Hill and think he could be their top CB this season, as long as he's on the field.