Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Home

The homecoming became official last week when the Vikings agreed to teams with Cashman.
The homecoming became official last week when the Vikings agreed to terms with Cashman on the first day of the NFL’s legal tampering period. They signed him to a 3-year, $22.5 million contract a couple of days later. That served as the payoff for Cashman after he strung together the best stretch of his professional career last season.

“It’s amazing,” Cashman said of returning to Minnesota to play in the NFL. “I keep telling everybody that there’s not enough words to describe my excitement. I would say it’s a little overwhelming, so I’m trying to take it all in. It’s going to be special because I get to share this moment with my family and friends.”
Asked what exactly clicked for him last season, Cashman noted that being completely healthy for a change allowed him to play with a sense of freedom. He also credited Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans, in particular, for consistently putting him in a position to succeed.
“It was great to be able to play multiple spots,” Cashman said. “I think I was able to showcase my versatility and my feel for the game.”
It should be much of the same now that Cashman gets to work with Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores. He likely will play in multiple spots for the Vikings, potentially serving as the main communicator on defense, while sharing the field with running mate Ivan Pace Jr.
All of the intricacies will get ironed out in the coming months, whether it be at organized team activities, mandatory minicamp or training camp.
“I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited to start an offseason program,” Cashman said. “I can’t wait to get to work.”
After being formally introduced last week, Cashman made his first public appearance as a member the Vikings a few hours later, sitting in the stands at Xcel Energy Center as the Wild played host to the Anaheim Ducks. Fittingly, when the camera panned to Cashman midgame, he got up out of his seat and led a Skol chant. He had to pinch himself to make sure he wasn’t dreaming.
“I just wake up, like, ‘Damn, I’m a Minnesota Viking,’ ” Cashman said. “You can’t draw it up any better. Not many players get this opportunity. I’m going to enjoy it, and I want to make everybody proud.
https://www.twincities.com/2024/03/20/minnesota-native-blake-cashman-thrilled-to-be-home-playing-for-vikings/

Commentators can now say he's from Eden Prairie every game 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Commentators can now say he's from Eden Prairie every game 
And he played for Bud's son Mike

He is so excited, rooting for the guy. He's going to love his first pregame intro at U.S. Bank stadium.

Speaking of that, they are putting in new, upgraded turf right now. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
He is so excited, rooting for the guy. He's going to love his first pregame intro at U.S. Bank stadium.

What are they upgrading to?  

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
@StickyBun said:

What are they upgrading to?  
"In early 2024, the artificial turf at U.S. Bank Stadium will be changing to a version that has better injury data than the current playing surface. The stadium will go from a slit-film turf to a monofilament surface, with the project set to be completed well in time for the next NFL season."

https://sportsvenuecalculator.com/knowle...obal-turf/

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/local-news/ne...k-stadium/

I think Cashman has Flores written all over him. Up until last year, he'd been a below average player whose career was stunted by injuries. But when DeMeco Ryans took over the defense there, Cashman exploded, grading as one of the best LBs in the NFL, especially in coverage. 

An intelligent, versatile player, he played all three linebacker positions for the Texans last year and also called the defense. So this is our new Hicks. Hicks was great last year, but if Cashman plays anything like he did last year, this is an upgrade. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think Cashman has Flores written all over him. Up until last year, he'd been a below average player whose career was stunted by injuries. But when DeMeco Ryans took over the defense there, Cashman exploded, grading as one of the best LBs in the NFL, especially in coverage. 

An intelligent, versatile player, he played all three linebacker positions for the Texans last year and also called the defense. So this is our new Hicks. Hicks was great last year, but if Cashman plays anything like he did last year, this is an upgrade. 
I think this was a bit of an under the radar signing - at least in terms of the potential impact of the player. 

Key for Cashman is staying healthy and hopefully Flores picks-up on how Ryans used him so effectively. 

I'm a little surprised the Texans ended-up saying bye to both Cashman and Greenard. 

====================================

"Believe it or not, before I called my mom, my dad, my brother, I was on the phone with this guy right here," Cashman said, motioning to Greenard during their Vikings introductory news conference. "We immediately were just sharing our excitement, congratulating each other, talking about what kind of mentality we're going into this with, and we're going to make this a great year."
"We both came off probably our best seasons," Cashman added.
Cashman began last season in a familiar place: the sideline. A hamstring injury followed him from August into September, when he missed the Texans' season opener. He returned in Week 2 playing on all four special teams phases. Then linebacker Denzel Perryman went down with an injury. That opened the door for Cashman, who seized the opportunity.
On third down, Cashman dropped into zone coverage over the middle of the field and read Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence's eyes. Cashman slid toward Lawrence's vision and undercut a deep in route by the slot receiver on his side of the field. The pick gave Houston the ball in Jaguars territory, and eventually a three-score lead, in the Week 3 win.
"He did a really good job in coverage," Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans told Houston reporters afterward. "But most importantly, Blake did a great job of attacking the football, and that's what changed this game. ... An excellent interception — big-time catch by him. Just an instinctive, heads-up play, great awareness, great feel for route concepts."
Cashman's role continued to grow as coaches trusted the results he provided on the field. For the first time since his 2019 rookie season, he played every defensive snap in the Texans' Week 6 win over the Saints. Houston held New Orleans to 13 points. Cashman led every defender with 15 tackles (nine solo), including two for losses.
"The more opportunities he's gotten, he continues to show up and make plays," Ryans told Houston reporters afterward. "He was always productive on the ball and it showed in training camp, so it's kind of no surprise that he gets into the game and he has [pass breakups], big-time plays, and continues to show up. Blake has done a great job with what he's been given. ... He's earned the right to get more time."

Cashman isn't the biggest player, but much like Eric Kendricks before him, he plays with a vision, pace and preparedness that allows him to slither into running lanes and track the ball in coverage. Cashman also isn't the fastest player, but his closing speed allows him to recover ground in a hurry. There will be some inherent mismatches for him in coverage against bigger or faster players, but he has the recognition and speed for the Vikings' off-zone coverage that asks linebackers to close quickly underneath.
As a blitzer, Cashman led the Texans' off-ball players in pass rushes (47), but he wasn't very effective. He had two sacks within nine QB pressures, according to Pro Football Focus, for a lackluster pressure rate.
He spearheaded one of the NFL's best run defenses, tying a team-high 26 run stops with Christian Harris and Perryman. Cashman not only led the Texans in tackles but did so with the second-lowest missed tackle rate among their full-time defenders.
What clicked last season?
"I would just say staying healthy and getting the opportunity that Houston and the coaching staff gave me," Cashman said. "It was great to be able to play multiple spots at the linebacker level. I think that really allowed me to showcase my versatility and my IQ of the game."
'Fitting in together'Cashman's football intelligence will be tested in coordinator Brian Flores' defense, where flexibility manifests through a Rolodex of presnap adjustments.
And Cashman could be the new maestro on the field.
Vikings coaches train multiple linebackers to relay defensive play calls in the huddle, but Cashman could help take over for Hicks, who previously had the in-helmet speaker that received the call from Flores during games.
Cashman took over those duties last season, too, when injuries continued to thin Texans linebackers. By a Week 11 win against the Cardinals, Cashman had the "green-dot" helmet (there's only one allowed on the field at a time), and his production did not suffer despite the added communication. He was all over the field with a career-high 19 tackles (13 solo), a sack and a pass deflection in the win.
"Really credit Cashman for stepping in at the Mike linebacker spot, which he hasn't played all year," Ryans told Houston reporters afterward. "The way he stepped in, the way he communicated in those pressure moments. It was awesome to see him step up and play big for us."
Greenard, Cashman's Texans teammate the last two years, echoed his former coach.
"We had our best games when he was our communicator," Greenard said. "I feel like at that time he made everybody kind of calm down and not get too stressed in loud environments, which we're going to be in playing in U.S. Bank."
By season's end, Cashman had earned time as the defensive leader. He rotated with Perryman, a ninth-year veteran, even when everyone was healthy.
"We're shuffling that in and out a little bit," Texans defensive coordinator Matt Burke said Jan. 17. "Him and Denzel having to like — 'Who's got the helmet? Who's not? Who's running the huddle?' Those guys have done a really good job of sort of fitting in together."
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-nfl-free-agency-linebacker-blake-cashman-gophers/600353464/

Cashman will help as a leader out there for sure, making sure alignments are good to go.